PDA

View Full Version : Superfeet Inserts - what's your experience?

LeeMan
07-14-2011, 11:35
Wondering if anyone has used these, what their impression has been, what color do you use for hiking, and about how to break them in?

House of Payne
07-14-2011, 11:43
I use berks

wcgornto
07-14-2011, 11:54
Upon receiving any shoes to be used for hiking, I immediately remove and discard the foam inserts and replace them with green Superfeet. They have always worked very well for me.

Wise Old Owl
07-14-2011, 12:01
Ditto - great green better stuff!

Pringles
07-14-2011, 12:15
There was no break-in period with my green super feet. My feet simply became happy.

Pringles

PuF
07-14-2011, 12:15
These have helped with Plantar Fasciitis Pain. I will never go without them again. Green Super Feet

solobip
07-14-2011, 12:46
Green Super feet for me too, I have one pair in my boots and another pair for kicking around trail shoes. I did have an adjustment period though, seemed to use front muscles of my legs, but after that, miss em if you ain't got em.

Doc Mike
07-14-2011, 12:52
green superfeet
start at 2 hours a day and progress as tolerated within two weeks your feet will be happy.

Feral Bill
07-14-2011, 13:50
Green Superfeet for me. I wear them daily. Some people find them intolerable, I hear.

Panzer1
07-14-2011, 15:02
waste of money. too expensive.

Lyle
07-14-2011, 15:21
When the Orange Superfeet first came out, they were totally effective for relieving the numbness and sharp burning pain that I sometimes feel in my toes/ball of foot. These were the ones with both arch support and a metatarsal bump. Now they have changed the orange superfeet to eliminate the metatarsal bump because their designers decided they could sell more of them without this feature (their reason in the email I received from their customer service, who also said they were receiving a lot of complaints like mine about the re-design) The current Orange Superfeet are the same as the Green, but have a thick pad under the metatarsals and toes, which for me, cause my shoes to not fit. The Green work ok for arch support, but does not solve the numbness/pain problem.

I'm back in the market for something that works, may end up going to a podiatrist. Shame they want to make everything so generic, that they no longer actually work.

1azarus
07-14-2011, 16:34
if i were home i'd check to see if mine are orange or green... whatever they are, i love them --BUT i was told that only the (green? orange?) superfeet were specific to a man's foot width. when i used the (green?orange?) ones earlier, the ridge at the edge of the heel cup was too narrow for my feet and gave me blisters. I'd check to see if there is a heel width difference between the green and orange before i bought a pair -- and i would buy the color superfeet with the wider heel cup. anybody else have this experience? sorry for being so imprecise!

1azarus
07-14-2011, 16:38
actually, when people evaluate foot bed inserts it would help to know what they wear for footwear, how far they typically walk in a day, how much they carry and how heavy they are. Me -- trailrunners (Brooks cascadia...) 20 miles daily average, 10 to 20 pound pack, 140 pounds. and i do love superfeet!

clarkchrist
07-14-2011, 16:58
I pulled the factory insoles out of my Asolos about two months after purchase and replaced them with green Superfeet. The original insoles were pretty bad. Superfeet had a ~2 week break in period, but now they are great.

Espero
07-14-2011, 17:02
if i were home i'd check to see if mine are orange or green... whatever they are, i love them --BUT i was told that only the (green? orange?) superfeet were specific to a man's foot width. when i used the (green?orange?) ones earlier, the ridge at the edge of the heel cup was too narrow for my feet and gave me blisters. I'd check to see if there is a heel width difference between the green and orange before i bought a pair -- and i would buy the color superfeet with the wider heel cup. anybody else have this experience? sorry for being so imprecise!

Mine started out orange, but now they're green. Just kidding. I actually use Dr. Scholl's Gel Sport Replacement Insoles in my Asics 2150 running shoes and run about 12 - 15 miles a week on paved surfaces. They're good. I have no experience with Superfeet other than I didn't want to pay the higher price. The Dr. Scholl's are about a third of the cost. I also use them in my Asics Trail Runners.

Spokes
07-14-2011, 17:07
Shoe/Boot inserts should be selected based on "volume fit" regardless. They fine tune your shoes/boots.

Remember too, the biggest mistake people make when selecting SuperFeet are picking them based on shoe size alone- Wrong!

Proper fit involves making sure your heel fits totally within the inserts heel cup. If your heel overlaps the edges of the insert, try the next size up! You'd be amazed how many people don't think to take that into account.

To check it, just lay the insert on the floor, put your foot on it, stand up, and check the fit around your heel. You should be able to tell immediately if they're sized right.

House of Payne
07-14-2011, 18:09
I use berks

Birkenstock

EastCoastFeastCoast
07-14-2011, 18:45
Orange Super Feet. When I first got them, they were highly recommended, so I gave it an honest effort. Until they really broke in, they were O.K. at best. There was some discomfort, but still better than my regular boots. Once they broke in... wow... just wow. I won't ever hike again without some kind of super feet in my shoes/boots.

bflorac
07-14-2011, 23:10
Nike insole suck, cause feet to get bruised, tossed them out. Used $300 custom orthotics, caused knee pain after 2 hours. Switched to green Superfeet, all is great! Enough said.

Jersey Tim
07-14-2011, 23:24
I used green for a while, in about three pairs of running shoes (~1200 miles) in a little under a year, and liked them, and then took a suggestion to switch to orange for my most recent pair and liked those even better. They have a little extra squoosh under the forefoot that feels oddly spongy during the break-in period but smooths out into a very nice ride.

JaxHiker
07-15-2011, 09:39
I spent the money on the green ones and never liked them. The just don't fit my feet right. I picked up some 3/4 insoles (I'll have to check the brand later) from Academy. On my last week-long hike they were freakin' awesome and I'm wearing them right now.

Del Q
07-15-2011, 20:04
GREAT!! Have used them for years, at EMS she suggested that I go Orange so I did, think they might be better for my feet. There is a "honeymoon" period, keeps my heel seated, good gear.

hiker5
07-15-2011, 20:42
I use Green Superfeet in all my shoes all the time, hiking or not.

Blissful
07-15-2011, 22:26
After using multiple inserts for my tibialis tendonitis, with my flat feet, the blue Superfeet were the key for me. You really need to base the kind of Superfeet you get with your foot (arch) type.

camojack
07-16-2011, 00:50
Add me to the "green Superfeet good" group. :)

Tylermcc
07-16-2011, 09:07
The Superfeet Green are the most popular; however, for extra cushioning, the Orange (for men) & Berry (for women) are the routes to go. Now these are orthotic full length arch supports. They provide a full heel cup & orthotic arch that properly support the foot and put the stress & impact were it belongs -so the focus is not totally on cushioning. It a full balance shoe.

Now if you really like 'the gel's'. Consider a Sof Sole Hike Insole for deep cushioning or a Sof Sole Airr Orthotic.

LeeMan
07-16-2011, 10:10
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I got a pair of green and in testing them around the house, the left one is squeaking. Have read that baby powder helps this, but will that permanently work in a mesh trail runner?

garlic08
07-16-2011, 11:30
I couldn't use greens when they first came out. It felt like I was walking on logs. When they came out with blue, it was perfect. I hike 20+ miles per day and I get about 2500 miles out of a pair. I'm on my third set now. I attribute pain-free feet in my running shoes to blue superfeet. I have seen that they are not for everyone though, so YMMV. I think they're worth a try, for the money.

shwn354
07-16-2011, 20:13
the green ones helped cure my stress fractures when i was on the trail, I'll never use anything else

HeartFire
07-16-2011, 23:00
Super feet nearly caused the end of my hike. I developed shoulder, back, and knee pain as a result of super feet. I use SOF soles, much more cushy, and lots of support.

Jersey Tim
07-16-2011, 23:40
The squeak is normal, it'll go away as they break in. Be sure you've trimmed the toe area of the insole so it isn't folding or wrinkling, which will cause blisters. (I do this by loosening the laces and just sticking my whole hand in there.)

LBJ
07-16-2011, 23:40
Green Superfeet for me.

Jonnycat
07-17-2011, 09:28
I use the green superfeet inserts because I need the additional arch support that they afford me. In an ideal world, I would have orthotics, but for now the superfeet suffice.

I modified mine so that the heels don't lift so high by cutting away a section of the hard base under the heel, and this is working very well for me.

mag
07-17-2011, 20:29
Love me, my Greens. I'll never hike without them again. Worth every penny.

JaxHiker
07-18-2011, 11:11
Profeet is what I ended up with and love them.

halftime
07-18-2011, 11:39
I use the Green Superfeet insoles and have been happy with them..... did need to break in however.

ScottP
07-18-2011, 15:31
I've had good results with the green ones.

chelko
07-18-2011, 17:14
I used the green superfeet for years with good results. As I got older I wanted a little more cushion so I switched to sofsoles and love them.

sbhikes
07-18-2011, 18:14
I think superfeet are the biggest scam ever perpetrated. No cushioning and about as technically complicated as cutting a heel-shaped piece of plastic from a carton of milk and shoving that under the built-in insoles.

I actually went with multiple different insoles of the cushioning kind you may find at the drug store. I would swap them out or layer them depending on how I felt. Kept my feet guessing.

MarkhMD
07-19-2011, 15:07
Love 'em. Put a pair of greenies in my brand new Zamberlan 760 Steep GT boots and did a 3-day weekend trip. Very comfortable, even after I dunked my foot in the water like an idiot

Rick500
07-19-2011, 16:55
I really wanted to like green Superfeet, but I wore them in my trail runners for almost two weeks and I guess they're just not compatible with my (completely average and normal, I think) feet. Took them back and bought Montrail insoles instead (the kind you put in the oven and then form-fit to your feet inside your shoes). Now I wear Montrails in ALL my shoes. Love 'em.

WILLIAM HAYES
07-19-2011, 21:47
green no break in was required

buckgto11
07-19-2011, 23:04
Still think that the green superfeet have the best heel charecteristics of any aftermarket replacement inserts.

Skyline
07-19-2011, 23:30
I've been using green Superfeet for about 12 years with the articulated Lowa full boots. Great product. The inserts that come with most boots are useful, perhaps as bookmarks or something.

Stats 2012
07-20-2011, 19:37
I've used a lot of insoles. Green Superfeet worked OK for me, but I'm now using Soles Softec Response (red) and love em.

House of Payne
07-23-2011, 08:36
To the AT thru-hikers that have used superfeet for their thru walk, how long did a pair of superfeet last for you? Did you have to replace them during the trip? Just out of curiosity, I have heard that many hikers go through a few pairs of shoes/boots along the way, wondered if the superfeet were replaced as well...

grampa
07-23-2011, 12:08
I have high-ish arches, and the green Superfeet are excellent for me. They provide good support, and feel like they anchor my foot in the shoe.

garlic08
07-23-2011, 12:16
To the AT thru-hikers that have used superfeet for their thru walk, how long did a pair of superfeet last for you? Did you have to replace them during the trip? Just out of curiosity, I have heard that many hikers go through a few pairs of shoes/boots along the way, wondered if the superfeet were replaced as well...

My superfeet inserts have always lasted at least 2500 miles, more than enough for an AT hike.

Feral Nature
08-09-2011, 11:19
I have the orange superfeet. I have giant feet for a woman and the orange fit my flat feet the best.

Could someone tell me what this 2 week break-in period is? They feel pretty good right now, how will this change?

msujay
08-10-2011, 07:40
One piece of advice is to make sure you get the right Superfeet. Everyone seems to focus on the magical green Superfeet, but the colors are based on the shape of your foot. I have medium arches and was matched up to the blue Superfeet. They have made a HUGE difference. I couldn't stay in my shoes with the green ones.

Paccer
09-13-2011, 00:48
What kind of mileage are people getting out of the Superfeet insole? I prefer the more dense foam insole like Superfeet, but this style is hard to find. Most stores stock the spongy, gel-type insole which, in my experience, do not hold up very long. If I watch the ads and get a store coupon I can get my favorite trail runner - New Balance 411 - for $40.00 at JC Pennys. But to spend another $40.00 for Superfeet... well, maybe if they will last the lifetime of the shoe.

tucker0104
09-13-2011, 05:13
Green superfeet are the best

garlic08
09-13-2011, 08:31
What kind of mileage are people getting out of the Superfeet insole?

See post #48 above.

tee
09-13-2011, 08:32
For the squeaking problem try putting body glide or vaseline on the bottom edge of the insert (the edge between the shoe and insert). It makes noise because it's not the same exact shape, and body glide will reduce the friction.

Spokes
09-13-2011, 08:46
Depends. I base my SuperFeet on volume fit and use either blue or green models.

Don't forget to choose your inserts based on proper heel cup fit. Don't go strictly by the sizing listed on the box!

Spokes
09-13-2011, 08:47
deleted........... double post by mistake.

Pixelgator
09-13-2011, 10:39
I read these comments with some puzzlement. I began hiking last November and after reading several reviews on various storefronts I settled on Oboz partly because many mentioned the need for inserts and break-in for their shoes in other brands. I have to deal with plantar fasciitis and the rehabilitation of a broken ankle. The Oboz needed no break-in and the inserts are better than any orthoditics I've ever purchased.