PDA

View Full Version : Not sure to go bigger or smaller

thepokerkid227
07-14-2011, 16:06
Heading NoBo march of 2012 not sure whether to get the Osprey Aether 70 or 85, would the 85 be way to big?

p.s. this is my first thru hike attempt ever

HiKen2011
07-14-2011, 16:14
Heading NoBo march of 2012 not sure whether to get the Osprey Aether 70 or 85, would the 85 be way to big?

p.s. this is my first thru hike attempt ever

Wow for ME, they both sound to big! I use an Osprey exos 46 with room to spare, sorta.

thepokerkid227
07-14-2011, 16:18
Once I get a complete gear list ill post it up to see opinions

Doc Mike
07-14-2011, 16:27
You get to carry your choice so take your stuff to the store see what one it fits in with room for food and get that one.

johnnybgood
07-14-2011, 16:28
4,000 cubic inches (65 liters) is plenty big enough for a thru. The need for resupply will be every 4 or 5 days so no need to take anything larger. Aether 70 is fine , a bit heavy but a sturdy pack that can carry large loads.

thepokerkid227
07-14-2011, 23:10
Now im leaning towards the Gregory Makalu Pro Pack, ugh decisions decisons. . .http://www.rei.com/product/721158/gregory-makalu-pro-pack

dillard
07-15-2011, 09:03
I purchased an Osprey Kestrel 68 a few weeks ago for my AT thru-hike this year and now that I've put a few hundred test miles on it I feel its perfect for thru-hiking. I didn't have the budget to get all tiny lightweight gear and the 68L is plenty of room for everything to fit, its got a built in rain cover, enough pockets to arrange gear the way you want and very rugged so far... and you would save a pound vs the Aether 70.

skinewmexico
07-15-2011, 09:28
Now im leaning towards the Gregory Makalu Pro Pack, ugh decisions decisons. . .http://www.rei.com/product/721158/gregory-makalu-pro-pack

Why don't you save yourself a couple of pounds, $50-100, and buy a ULA Catalyst or Circuit. Saves a few US jobs in Utah too.

Ktaadn
07-15-2011, 09:55
Are there any retail stores that stock ULA packs? I'd like to try one on before buying.

Ktaadn
07-15-2011, 12:10
Are there any retail stores that stock ULA packs? I'd like to try one on before buying.

skinewmexico
07-15-2011, 12:37
Actually, there are some stores that are stocking ULA now. You'd have to check their web page to find them.

http://www.ula-equipment.com/community.asp

Lando11
08-03-2011, 09:32
I have a couple of buddies on the trail currently that HAD the aether 70 but it is WAY too big for thru hiking in my opinion. 2 of my friends upgraded (downgraded?) To osprey packs in the 40 to 50 liter range. As others have suggested though, take a long look at ULA. If you do decide you need a larger pack, be sure to buy one that compresses well once you get your gear figured out on trail. Like an osprey exos, or a ula circuit/catalyst

sbhikes
08-03-2011, 10:16
You'll end up filling a too big pack with too much stuff. It will make your hike more miserable than it has to be. I hiked the PCT with around 12lbs of gear and a 4000cu in pack (which was too big except the day after a resupply). Another 12lbs of water and food made for a comfortable weight.

Isn't there some kind of trail event before March where you can see the lighterweight/cottage gear stuff?

ekeverette
08-03-2011, 14:24
damn. i've got an osprey 70.... thought it was a good pack.... don't tell me have have to take it back and get a smaller one!

dillard
08-03-2011, 14:53
damn. i've got an osprey 70.... thought it was a good pack.... don't tell me have have to take it back and get a smaller one!

Don't let the gram weenies dictate to you... HYOH

stranger
08-05-2011, 02:58
The Osprey Aether Series is probably the best all around pack I've seen for typical, long distance hiking. The are brilliant.

Yes, there are lighter packs. But can you get away with em? Maybe, maybe not.

Most (not all) people I've seen wearing ULA have crap all over the outside of them and carrying 30lbs anyway, what's the point? I have a ULA but if it tipped the scales over 25 I would go to my Aether 60 personally, the pack peforms much better, fits much better, more stable, carries better and compresses much better. But my pack doesn't seem to reach 28-30lbs anymore, hence I use the lighter ULA.

An Aether 70 is big enough for a thru-hike of the AT, I would avoid taking an 85 as it's quite large and you WILL FILL whatever you buy. However, it's better ot have an 85 liter pack full and compressed, then a 70 liter pack with crap on the outside - after all, we buy packs to put our gear in. Lashing gear outside is for externals, most people don't realize that. The exception might be a light, closed cell foam pad.

Do what is right for you - asking people about packs is like asking them what they like to eat, it's very personal. Gregory also makes great packs, as does Granite Gear, there is alot out there. Base your decisions on FEEL, nothing else. Not even $$$

ULA will let you return packs, you can buy them, wear em around the house, and send them back - not a bad compromise.

theoilman
08-05-2011, 09:20
What is the main difference between these two other than the weight?
Osprey Aether (Large, 63L) for 5#/1oz
Osprey Atmos (Large, 68L) for 3#/12oz
Everyone seems to talk about the Aether series and little about the Atmos. Does the Atmos not work well for trail hiking? They look to me to be similar but the Atmos is a lot lighter.
I'm looking for gear for week long section AT hiking at a total under 30# gear, food and water and saving over a lb on the pack is a lot. (I've done a shake down hike at nearly 40# and got to get it down!)

hikerboy57
08-05-2011, 09:50
Ive got the Osprey atmos 65 , which is more than big enough to fit all my gear. Its been bombproof for 2 years,, comfortable light, and well ventilated.

Deacon
08-05-2011, 19:38
Personnaly, I don't buy into the hype of going to the smallest, lightest pack I can find. I was going to buy an Aether 70 but found the Aether 85 is virtually the same weight. Yes, it is 5 lbs. 1 ounce, but before everyone crings let me say I've managed to get my full load pack weight with 4 days food, 2 liters water to 28 lbs. I bought the lightest equipment on the market.

I have the advantage of a solid, rigid backframe that is well ventilated, and nothing beats the comfort of the Aether 85, for me at least. I don't have to worry how it's packed or what is against my back, the comfort is always the same. Yet I still enjoy the light weight at 28 lbs.

Del Q
08-05-2011, 20:32
Check out hyperlight mountain gear............cuben fiber pack. The more I am at this the less I need or take with me..........ULA packs are super, less is more.......lightweight is the way to go.

FamilyGuy
08-07-2011, 13:26
Always buy a slightly larger pack that offers good compression. Then allow your insulative gear to recompress filling the bag.

Agree with Del Q - really like my HMG Windrider but it only has a 40L or so main bag. There is a 4800 cubic inch pack coming out with excellent compression that will weigh 2lbs. Keep in mind that the Windrider is essentially a framless pack. The stays don't help much with absolute stiffness (very maleable).

Trailbender
08-07-2011, 15:09
Don't let the gram weenies dictate to you... HYOH

Yep, because carrying a heavier pack makes you more of a man.

Rambo
08-08-2011, 01:16
Bramble/Rambo 2004. My suggestion is this. bring your air mattress, sleeping bag, and the majority of your gear to an out fitter, Like EMS, or a outfitter near you, tell them what your getting ready for. Take your gear and fill the pack that fits closest to the two. Stuff the pack, and leave room for food up to five days, and water bag, and your water filter system you'll use. Just tell the outfiter your are going to buy a pack from them. This is what I did to get an idea of what pack size I needed. To give you an idea, i used a 45+10 pack from lowe alpine. If your a guy, I suggest you get a sport kilt, by www.sportkilt.com (http://www.sportkilt.com), I wore one the entire A.T. I will give you my list of things so you can figure out what you wnat and don't want.

2-3 pairs of socks, you can always wash and hang them on your pack. Smart wool
1 pair of shorts
1 light weight rain pants
1 medium weight rain jacket
if you dont want kilt, then 2 pair of light weight hiking pants
get the ones that zip off at knee
wickable sleep pants
don't spend money on a stove, make one out of two soda can bottoms,
use denatured alcohal, takes longer to cook, but worth it.
I suggest you save your money on mail box drops, only cause your cravings change as you go. But do this if you need to.
get a good one person tent, you can contact www.hillebergtent.com (http://www.hillebergtent.com), ask for the akto, ask for Petra Hilleberg, Tell her carlos told you to call. It's a great tent to have. really keeps you warm when it rains.
Get a warm sleeping bag.
A bag for your tooth brush, get a crystal ball for deodorant, it has no smell, and will last the whole trip.
Figure all your food you might need for 3-4 days, you have to plan these out for the times you will have to resupply in different towns, get a good water bag, one that is not the platapus clear bag, get one that has the cap on the side, that hase a thick bag, that won't puncture easy. The platupus bag has the tube at the bottom of the bag, it comes undone while you hike and you loose water always. Get yourself titanium steel pots, one for drinking, and one for cooking meals.
Bring all your gear to store, they will understand you want to buy the right pack. Your pack should weigh no more than 35 lbs, 40 the most. Call me if you have any questions. I was an Army Airborne-Ranger, i can give you some tips also to help protect your feet. my real name is Carlos, call me or text me with any questions. 951-545-1014. I want you to have a good hike from the beginning. the first 35 miles makes alot of people quit.

Maddog
08-08-2011, 03:57
Why don't you save yourself a couple of pounds, $50-100, and buy a ULA Catalyst or Circuit. Saves a few US jobs in Utah too. +1 You can't go wrong with a ULA pack! I have a Catalyst and am waiting on the delivery of a CDT! :)

lornadunne18
08-08-2011, 13:18
What was your pack list to weigh in at 28 pounds?

stranger
08-17-2011, 22:42
+1 You can't go wrong with a ULA pack! I have a Catalyst and am waiting on the delivery of a CDT! :)

Sorry but YOU CAN go wrong with ANY PACK.

That's like telling someone they can't go wrong eating dairy, sure...unless you are allergic to it, or simply don't like to eat it. It's not that simple.

While ULA makes very good packs for what we do, there are 'better ' packs out there depending on each person's 'criteria' to 'what is good'.

Rasty
08-17-2011, 22:53
I have a Lowe Alpine 50 liter frameless pack purchased in 1993. I can comfortably hike six days, 70 liters seems big to me. I kept working at my equipment to fit the pack.