PDA

View Full Version : Buses from Waynesboro to both Staunton & Charlottesville

mooseboy
07-14-2011, 16:17
As someone who keeps planning (and then postponing :( ) his section-hike from Harpers Ferry through SNP to Rockfish Gap, I have done lots of research trying to figure out how to get home from Rockfish Gap or Waynesboro. Public Transit in these areas are sparse, but do exist, although finding the info online is about as easy as finding a running spring in PA in late August. Virginia Regional Transit and their corresponding cities don't exactly advertise their services. I'm providing this post for anyone who may want or need to find their way out of Rockfish Gap without a shuttle.

The Shuttle List is useful up to a point, but what if you don't feel like paying up to $100 for a 25-mile ride to Charlottesville? You can pay 1/3 of that to get all the way back to D.C. on Amtrak. (Actually, if anyone wants to provide a typical shuttler quote from Rockfish or Waynesboro - C'ville, I'd love to have it for reference.)

Anyway, this post is just to provide some info on a couple buses that run from Waynesboro to the 2 nearest cities with long-distance transportation: Staunton (closer- you could even walk it if you don't mind road-walking) and Charlottesville (more options, bigger city).

To see a map of the routes in the area, go to http://www.vatransit.org/ and click on "Mountain" region. You'll see the 2 bus routes in question, the 250 Connector (Waynesboro-Staunton) and the very new Shenandoah Express (Waynesboro-Charlottesville). Believe it or not, both routes only cost 50¢! The downside is that the Shenandoah Express only operates M, W & F (and then only twice daily), and the 250 Connector Weekdays only. But if you're finishing a hike then you probably have the downtime to wait around. ;)

The trade-off appears to be: A) go to Staunton via the 250 Connector which is closer, which you can reach by bus 5 days a week or even walk if you're up to it, but the trains only run 3 times a week; or B) go to C'ville which is more distant , but which offers more of everything-- not just more frequent and cheaper transportation, but motels, restaurants, etc.-- and the irony is that the BUSES (Shenandoah Express) to reach it from Waynesboro only run 3 times a week.

As for leaving the 2 Cities:

Staunton has an Amtrak station, through which only 1 train, the Cardinal, passes only 3 times a week. But it's much closer to Waynesboro than Charlottesville. The Cardinal will take you either east through C'ville to D.C. and NYC, or west thru Cincinnati to Chicago. A couple caveats, though: the Cardinal past D.C. is often sold out weeks ahead of time, and everything past DC gets very expensive when it's available. But you can usually get a one-way to DC up to the day before departure for $30-50. Then you can take the next leg of your journey from DC to practically anywhere for much cheaper (Bolt Bus or Megabus, for example).

The 2nd warning: Staunton's Amtrak station is unstaffed, with not so much as a ticket machine. And you are not allowed to show up and buy a ticket on the spot-- you MUST have a reservation. Your only option, as a hiker, will be to call Amtrak a couple days before the scheduled date and reserve a ticket by phone, which will be on the conductor's manifest. (If you try to reserve more than a few days in advance, they will try to make you receive a ticket by mail, which if you're hiking, will be inconvenient, if not impossible.) I've used this method at White River Junction with no difficulties, and it appears to work the same way here.

Charlottesville also has an Amtrak station, and no less than 3 routes pass through it, including the recently-expanded Northeast Corridor line which runs daily all the way up to Boston.You may also grab trains to points south and west. There's also Greyhound:eek:, and a private express bus line direct to NYC (http://www.nycshuttle.com/) which is pricy at over $100/each way, but it IS express to NYC. (Their site implies that they may expand service to include Waynesboro & Staunton, but this isn't available yet.) Train pricing and availability is generally much better from here. And if you REALLY need to fly, they have an airport as well. Though if you don't care about saving money, you will have stopped reading this long ago. :D

C'ville, unlike Staunton, DOES have a staffed Amtrak station, Quik-Trak machines, waiting room, etc. so you may buy your ticket directly there (though you risk higher $ and a sold-out train), or better yet, pick up a cheaper, pre-reserved ticket at their station. Because C'ville has a Quik-Trak machine, you may reserve and pick up your ticket as far in advance as you like.

BTW, The Thru-Hiker's companion, which I've found invaluable on section hikes, doesn't mention any of these options, most notably the local buses to Staunton & C'Ville. Would this info be useful to submit to them? I realize most thru-hikers are not looking to leave the trail at this point, but there are plenty of section-hikers, not to mention thru-hikers' friends who may be trying to meet up with them, that might find it useful.

Long post? Yes. But hopefully some will find it useful. I've found in life as on the AT, that nothing is as useful as information (except water on a hot day and a burger in town).

mooseboy
07-14-2011, 16:31
I should amend the Staunton station part: they DO have station hours, but only before and after the Cardinal arrives, and they still do not sell tickets.

tiptoe
07-14-2011, 17:06
I just did the exact hike you've been putting off, mooseboy, and I was told by the inkeepers at Tree Streets in in Waynesboro that there is no longer a bus to Charlottesville. I don't know whether this info is correct, as I didn't check it. Lyle Kirby shuttled me to the Charlottesville Amtrak station, and he charged $1.50/mile. I paid him $50. I see you're from the train-rich Northeast, as I am. I must say I was surprised at how limited the train options are in Virginia, but I was grateful at least to find one train I could take back home.

chiefiepoo
07-14-2011, 17:18
Last year I wanted to NB from Rockfish Gap to Front Royal. I found that C' ville has the JAUNT service which is a scheduled and on demand service with vans. They were willing to take me from C'ville to the Afton area (near Rockfish) for only a few dollars. The drawback was service being limited to specific days that did not work with my schedule. Has a friend of a friend give me a ride from C'ville to the Gap. People might keeep JAUNT in mind for the area.

mooseboy
07-14-2011, 21:25
Thanks for that info, tiptoe! I'll double-check with Virginia Regional Transit, as it looked like their info was supposed to be current and I pulled up both routes' "current" schedules. Then again, they're not particularly aggressive in showcasing/updating their information. If they did already cancel the ​Shenandoah Express, that would be a pretty short run, since they only started up the service less than a year ago.

Heck, part of the reason I made the post was that this seemed like a new bus that could be useful to hikers. ;) I'll have to check by phone to be totally sure, as I don't want to spread outdated info.

Hope you enjoyed Shenandoah!

Tammy Petry
07-30-2011, 14:13
I am from the Waynesboro area and the buses really are only $.50! CATS (bus) 540-943-9302. Waynesboro also has a cab service that's not too expensive. Al's Cab 540-949-8245 or Yellow Cab 540-886-3471. The information about Staunton's train service is, sadly, accurate. There used to be Greyhound service all through the Valley as well, but no longer.
I am not familiar with the bus from Waynesboro to Charlottesville.
Staunton is within walking distance of Waynesboro (take 250 West all the way) You'll know you're in Staunton when you come to the I-81/I-64 interchange and just beyond that is a Super Wal-Mart. FYI there's a Virginia State Police barracks near this interchange too.
I hope this helps. I am going to do a post about Waynesboro and its amenities with phone numbers etc. Feel free to contact me about the area. I am currently living out of state but hope to get back home to VA in the next year or so. I've only been gone a few months and it feels like an eternity. Nothing in the world like the Shenandoah. Enjoy my home state yall!

Rambler
08-03-2011, 15:21
Boston to Charlottesville...it is cheaper to fly. Amtrak schedules just do not make sense. $96 takes
11 plus hours, but for $196 you can arrive an hour later with less on-train hours, but you will have to wait in NYC for 2 hours.

Fly for around $96 and be there in 3 hours. Leave at 6AM, be there by 9 AM.. The train leaves at 7AM gets in at 7PM or pay more and be the an hour later! Figure that one out.

The same is true going from Harpers Ferry. The Amtrak train is a nice ride to DC, but on the train from DC to Boston get off when the train stops at the Baltimore/Washington Airport, pay less to fly and be in Boston in 2 hours instead of 6.

The Waynesboro shuttle (from the Outfitters) I used was $2 per mile. There is a list on a fence post in the Rockfish Gap right where the AT crosses the road heading north. You can got a welcoming free ride into town.

Thanks for all the details in this thread. Very helpful. I'll be hiking Swift Gap to Harpers in September. It is my last 100 miles to complete the AT!!

RainInMay
05-10-2013, 08:28
Does anyone know whether this service is still active. I tried to contact VAtransit and the tourism office. However, I could not receive any information on the Shenandoah Express. Particularly, I am interested in whether it is still running on mondays and if yes at which time from Charlottesville to Waynesboro..

RainInMay
05-10-2013, 09:45
Does anyone know whether this service is still active. I tried to contact VAtransit and the tourism office. However, I could not receive any information on the Shenandoah Express. Particularly, I am interested in whether it is still running on mondays and if yes at which time from Charlottesville to Waynesboro..

Question is now replied after a while.. The Shenandoah Express is no longer in operation.

BillyGr
05-10-2013, 22:18
Amtrak schedules just do not make sense. $96 takes 11 plus hours, but for $196 you can arrive an hour later with less on-train hours, but you will have to wait in NYC for 2 hours.

I know it (used to) take longer by train from Albany to Boston than it did by BUS - I think mainly that there was a limited number of passing spots for the trains, and that Amtrak has to work around the freight train scehdules, not necessarily the speed of the trains.