PDA

View Full Version : Damascus south to Springer

maintenance man
02-07-2005, 08:47
Yes, I know I'm bucking the flow here but at the end of March I'll be starting in Damascus heading to Springer with a friend then jumping back up to Damascus to continue north. He only wants to do that portion and getting on in Damascus is easier for him. Who cares, I'll be on the trail. My question is for those experienced hikers, what highlights am I in for between Damascus and Mountain Mamas. I think I have a pretty good handle on from Mama's south.

IMHO this is definately the best AT site. :clap I have gained an amazing wealth of knowledge from all of you and it just continues to grow. Thanks to all who put in endless hours investing in this site and their own personal sites. Like other first timers, my inquiries and questions may seem no brainers to many of you but you responses treat all of us like you are mentors not critics. - ok enough of the warm fuzzy stuff :o

Lone Wolf
02-07-2005, 08:57
Highlights? Well the first 40 miles south of Damascus is pretty easy going. Laurel Falls is nice. The Humps/Roan Highlands area is awesome. Then Beauty Spot, Big Bald and Max Patch.

The Solemates
02-07-2005, 09:51
Yes, I know I'm bucking the flow here but at the end of March I'll be starting in Damascus heading to Springer with a friend then jumping back up to Damascus to continue north. He only wants to do that portion and getting on in Damascus is easier for him. Who cares, I'll be on the trail. My question is for those experienced hikers, what highlights am I in for between Damascus and Mountain Mamas. I think I have a pretty good handle on from Mama's south.

IMHO this is definately the best AT site. :clap I have gained an amazing wealth of knowledge from all of you and it just continues to grow. Thanks to all who put in endless hours investing in this site and their own personal sites. Like other first timers, my inquiries and questions may seem no brainers to many of you but you responses treat all of us like you are mentors not critics. - ok enough of the warm fuzzy stuff :o

Do you know OT and Rowboat? They live in Holland and will be helpful for anything you may need.

chris
02-07-2005, 10:58
Larry is right on this time. The Roan area is, in my opinion, the most scenic spot on the trail between Georgia and Vermont. Max Patch, Beauty Spot, and Unaka are all pleasant. Hopefully you will be in time to catch some of the spring bloom, which is by far the best feature of southern Appalachia.