PDA

View Full Version : Portable Propane Stove

Sugarcfan
07-15-2011, 03:59
I am planning a three day backpacking trip with a few friends from Clingman's Dome to Fontana Dam in September. I am trying to keep my pack as light as possible, but that just in case monster comes creeping in. The basic point to my question would a portable propane stove seriously be worth the extra weight?

4Bears
07-15-2011, 05:24
WELCOME ABOARD!!
If you are talking about one those stoves that uses those 1lb canisters. NO! Unless that is all you have or can afford. However for a 3 or 4 day adventure I would suggest simple meals using the Freezer Bag cooking method, your will be much lighter if used in conjunction with say a Super Cat stove, Penny Stove or any that are easy to make at home. There are plenty of inexpensive and light weight options out there that would leave with a stove and fuel at less than 6-8oz each carrying their own and cooking would amount to boiling water. If can afford a few $$$ then there are some excellent light weight cannister stoves out there that would work for a party of four for a long weekend.

Rocket Jones
07-15-2011, 06:05
Is it worth the weight? No. Would it work for a three day hike? Absolutely. If you already have it and don't mind lugging it along, it'll do the job for you.

Seriously though, google up "Supercat stove" and be prepared to be amazed. Next, check out trailcooking.com or google "Freezer Bag Cooking" and you'll find plenty of simple recipes designed to work with a stove like the Supercat.

Mags
07-15-2011, 09:18
When I first stated backpacking, it is what I had so it was what I used. Did not know any better!!!

With inexpensive options avail such as a Pepsi can style stove (Google it) and others, no reason to lug that stove in.

It will work for sure. But unless you are really pressed for time, just keep that stove for other uses. (I still have that single burner propane stove and keep mine in my truck. Works great for quick bivvies before a trip at or near the trailhead)

Sugarcfan
07-16-2011, 03:02
Fortunately I have not bought a propane stove and good thing. The Super Cat stove is amazing, I never knew anything like that existed! Thank y'all so much for the advice. You all are fantastic! Thank you again!