PDA

View Full Version : White House Landing Re-supply

wvgrinder
07-15-2011, 08:23
What can I expect? Knorr sides, ramen, cheese???

Grinder
07-15-2011, 08:39
I thought I read they were closing.??? I'd search "White house Landing" to see. I'm sure I read it here.

If still open, they had quite a large selection. I remember summer sausage and pepperoni and alcohol fuel and ramen, because that's what I bought. There was more, I'm sure

10-K
07-15-2011, 09:18
I remember pop tarts... :)

Be warned it's an expensive stop but probably for good reason. WHL gets my vote as the most awesome scenery of any hostel-type place on the trail.

Shutterbug
07-15-2011, 12:02
I thought I read they were closing.??? I'd search "White house Landing" to see. I'm sure I read it here.

If still open, they had quite a large selection. I remember summer sausage and pepperoni and alcohol fuel and ramen, because that's what I bought. There was more, I'm sure

The last I heard, White House Landing is for sale, but I have not heard that it has sold. Bill and Linda said they want to move so that their son, Ben, can be in school for the full school year. That seems reasonable to me.

I have enjoyed my stays there and didn't find their prices to be unreasonable.

As for the inventory at White House Landing, don't expect a lot of choices. It contains the kind of things most hikers need, but no specialty items.

wvgrinder
07-16-2011, 18:20

I just got an e-mail from Linda about what they carry. So, they aren't closed.

birchy
07-17-2011, 07:07
I called them about 3 weeks ago and they told me that they were full operational.

nufsaid
07-17-2011, 08:24
I just got an e-mail from Linda about what they carry. So, they aren't closed.

What do they carry?

birchy
07-17-2011, 08:59
What do they carry?

Probably enough stuff to keep you alive through the rest of the 100 mile wilderness. When you are way out there, you take what you can get. I belive they accept mail drops, but you can always call them 207-745-5116

English Stu
07-17-2011, 09:15
Stayed there last year ,awesome place and people, well worth the stop.
Being stood at the jetty near that sign was surreal after seeing it on the web, plenty of stuff to choose from.

wvgrinder
07-17-2011, 13:37
Probably enough stuff to keep you alive through the rest of the 100 mile wilderness. When you are way out there, you take what you can get. I belive they accept mail drops, but you can always call them 207-745-5116

She said no more mail drops. They only go into town once a week to get mail. And, all they have is a P.O. box.

WILLIAM HAYES
07-19-2011, 22:13
had a pretty good selection when I went through last year resupplied there. -fairly expensive though look for the resident moose if you stay there-

Panzer1
07-19-2011, 23:31
Does it make sense to attempt to go thru the 100 mile wilderness without resupplying at WHL?
What if you just carried enough food in your pack to get all the way through.

Panzer

WingedMonkey
07-19-2011, 23:53
Does it make sense to attempt to go thru the 100 mile wilderness without resupplying at WHL?

Panzer

You will die from lack of hamburger for almost 100 miles, NOT.
It was done by about everyone before the place opened to hikers after the road access was built. It was part of the tradition, one last big effort before reaching Baxter. One more story to tell.

Jeff
07-20-2011, 05:45
Someday WHL will close and hikers with lament the passing of an AT "tradition".

10-K
07-20-2011, 07:20

Panzer

Nothing against WHL but after I stayed there I wished I had kept going instead.

I didn't even need to resupply - I just stopped because it was there.

Jack Tarlin
07-20-2011, 08:21
Panzer: I've never stayed there, having always carried enough to get all the way to Abol Bridge without stopping for re-supply. (That being said, I've talked to countless people who enjoyed their stay there).

Another reason to not stop there is that there are such cool places to overnight nearby, like Potawadjo Shelter, and especially Antler's Campsite, perhaps the prettiest place to camp on the whole Trail.

Most thru-hikers don't take 9 or 10 days to get from Monson to Abol Bridge like the old guidebooks said; they usually take six and a half, so leaving Monson with enough food/supplies to go the whole way without re-supplying is perfectly realistic.

wvgrinder
07-21-2011, 16:45

Panzer

Call me crazy, but I enjoy hiking w/ less weight. And, I'm quite fond of showers.

weary
07-21-2011, 20:07

Panzer
We all did it for decades. That's the main reason the "wilderness" is so popular. 100 miles with no food stops. No place else on the trail had such a touch of wildness. It's sad that such a chance to experience wildness is no more.