PDA

View Full Version : Hikers beware of Kent Green Laundromat

Pages : [1] 2

AT_Dreamin
07-15-2011, 13:51
My hiking partner and I stopped into this laundomat today to catch up our laundry and were instantly told we were not allowed on the front porch because we are hikers and that the manager does not care for hiker business. We were scolded loudly, to our embarrassment, not to lean on the clean tables as we will get them too dirty for others to fold their clothes. The manager stated clearly that she has "had a problem with hikers" and therefor feels justified in treating us differently than her other customers. We had done nothing at all to bring on this treatment other than wearing hiking boots and carrying a pack. We have found all other businesses here in Kent CT to be very hiker friendly and DO recommend visiting the town, just maybe do laundry elsewhere.It's amazing that most people along our journey treat us like celebrities...offering any help they can give or just wanting to hear our stories, while there are those few that can be quite hurtful.Hope this helps our fellow thru hikers a bit.Now...On to Maine we go!

mooseboy
07-15-2011, 14:01
I found some places in Kent friendly, a couple others stuffy towards hikers-- yeah, it's a bit more hoity-toity than most trail towns.

The really amusing part of this story is that this is a laundromat getting all uppity, not some hotel or restaurant!

DrRichardCranium
07-15-2011, 14:07
This isn't the first time I have heard about the Notorious Laundry Bitch of Kent, Connecticut.

AT_Dreamin
07-15-2011, 14:26
I've been made to feel unwelcome at a few other businesses along the way but this is the first time we've been looked in the eye and told that it's because we are hikers. With this extreme dislike for hikers I just felt like others should be informed. I think we leave close to $100.00 behind in each town we visit, seems to me it would pay to be a little more hiker friendly.

Hardway
07-15-2011, 14:33
I was there in April and also had a bad experience. Do yourself a favor and don't go anywhere near that place.

Panzer1
07-15-2011, 15:04
the cops hang around there too. Don't get cought changing your clothes at the laundrymat. I'm sure there is a law against that.

Panzer

Del Q
07-15-2011, 20:00
Ditto Kent, the store manager at the supermarket was not the friendliest, was insisting that I leave my (clean) pack outside, I kept talking to him as I picked up a few things. Not the friendliest town I have been in this far, SW VA - Central VT

Lone Wolf
07-15-2011, 20:32
the "hiking community", whatever that is, has brought this on themselves. gets worse as the years roll by. i see it here at the laundramat in damascus. their wet, dity, stinkin gear spread everywhere. drinkin' beer while half naked in front of lady senior citizens doing their laundry. thru-hikers have no respect for local businesses and townsfolks

fiddlehead
07-15-2011, 20:37
My cousin used to run a business near the trail.
He doesn't like hikers at all.
Mostly because of the stink.
Forget the celebrity stuff and just try to blend better.

Lone Wolf
07-15-2011, 20:42
My cousin used to run a business near the trail.
He doesn't like hikers at all.
Mostly because of the stink.
Forget the celebrity stuff and just try to blend better.back in the day when i got to a town the first thing i did was go shower, do laundry and put on fresh duds before goin' to eat/drink at at bar/restaurant. i would never just walk into a place just off the trail with my pack and sit down and commence eating and drinking. today's walkers think nothing of it. the scales are tipping. bad hikers are outweighing the good ones

Blissful
07-15-2011, 22:23
The postmaster at Kent was not friendly either to me but very gruff. But I had a business owner offer me free Internet, a townsperson tell me of a nearby campground for hikers, and the Chinese restaurant didn't care where my pack was and gave me good food. So not all of Kent is bad.

CrumbSnatcher
07-15-2011, 23:43
thru-hikers have no respect for local businesses and townsfolksthis is not how i operated, nothing but total respect and graditude towards buisness owners
don't bite the hand that feeds you. the problem is most thruhikers(mostly kids) know this is a one time deal(thruhike) for them and could care less what happens once they move on!
in general most kids these days have no manners and respect for s***
remember i said most not all!

Sierra Echo
07-15-2011, 23:47
The postmaster at Kent was not friendly either to me but very gruff. But I had a business owner offer me free Internet, a townsperson tell me of a nearby campground for hikers, and the Chinese restaurant didn't care where my pack was and gave me good food. So not all of Kent is bad.

Postmasters in general are cranky. You most likely just encountered a window clerk. Window clerks are some of the most unhappiest creatures on the planet.

Trailweaver
07-16-2011, 01:23
I don't live in a trail town, and the postal clerks here have an attitude! I cannot imagine what they'd do if a hiker came in to the P.O. It is a shame, though when a hiker town gets a bad reputation because of a few cranky folks.

Sierra Echo
07-16-2011, 07:33
I don't live in a trail town, and the postal clerks here have an attitude! I cannot imagine what they'd do if a hiker came in to the P.O. It is a shame, though when a hiker town gets a bad reputation because of a few cranky folks.

Oh, its not the hikers the window clerks don't like. Its everyone!

Nutbrown
07-16-2011, 08:48
Yeah, a lot are grumpy, but I would HATE to have their job for even an hour. It is true that there seems to be a general lack of respect from my generation, and those that have followed. (I'm 34). I hope to spend some family vacations in third world areas, to show my children how much they have to be thankful for. Maybe they won't turn out to be the entitled kids that are so prevelent in society today.

In regards to the op... It stinks that people are grumpy lots. The laundry nazi needs to take more warm baths.

CrumbSnatcher
07-16-2011, 08:58
i always found the post office employees on/near the trail alot more friendly than the ones in regular towns.

middle to middle
07-16-2011, 09:37
Life sucks and then you die !

atraildreamer
07-16-2011, 10:07
Hosts (the townsfolk) as well as guests (the hikers) have responsibilities to one another.

Try to be a good guest in town...not a pest. :eek:

Respect the town, and its customs, and you will get a better response from those people you encounter. :)

Clean up before you enter town, if possible, and clean up after yourself when using town facilities (laundromats, campsites, etc.).

Be courteous to all you encounter. The toughest LEO will often mellow out if you show him (or her) sincere (not sarcastic :rolleyes:) respect. Remember...they have to deal with a lot of troublemakers (both hikers and non-hikers) and are going to assume the worst unless you show them otherwise.

Someone is always watching you in a town. :-? They take note of the good, as well as the bad, hikers in town, and word gets around quickly in small towns. Show, by your actions, your willingness to be a good guest and you may get pleasantly surprised by a positive reaction from the townsfolk! :welcome :sun

max patch
07-16-2011, 10:43
The laundromat owners just didn't decide out of the blue that they didn't like hikers.

The laundromat owners have obviously had bad experiences with hikers in the past.

The focus of the thread started by the OP should not be to criticize the laundromat owners. The focus of the thread should be for hikers to act appropriately in town. What a hiker does in town affects all hikers that follow them.

Sly
07-16-2011, 11:21
Postmasters in general are cranky. You most likely just encountered a window clerk. Window clerks are some of the most unhappiest creatures on the planet.

Know who seems to be the crankiest of them all? Hikers that don't get their way and think everyone owes them extra because they're walking from Georgia to Maine. You'll even see some of them bitching on the internet about it.

10-K
07-16-2011, 11:37
Know who seems to be the crankiest of them all? Hikers that don't get their way and think everyone owes them extra because they're walking from Georgia to Maine. You'll even see some of them bitching on the internet about it.

The only time I've actually been embarrassed on the trail is when a hiker was raising hell with the postal clerk in Salisbury, CT - literally screaming at him at the top of his lungs - because the postal dude couldn't answer his question about a post office further up the trail.

There was a decent size line of regular townspeople and a few other hikers - it was very, very uncomfortable.

Undershaft
07-16-2011, 12:33
back in the day when i got to a town the first thing i did was go shower, do laundry and put on fresh duds before goin' to eat/drink at at bar/restaurant. i would never just walk into a place just off the trail with my pack and sit down and commence eating and drinking. today's walkers think nothing of it. the scales are tipping. bad hikers are outweighing the good ones

I do the same and I've never had a problem. I think you kind of have to "read" the town to get a vibe for what is and is not tolorated by the locals. I found Hot Springs to be very accomodating to smelly, dirty, half-naked hikers. Kent was NOT! It was obvious to me that Kent was a place to act as civilized as possible. I did not bring my nasty, grubby pack into the grocery store the because I instinctively knew it would be frowned upon. I didn't even try to do laundry. I grabbed some food, beer, and fuel then got right back on the trail where I could happily be smelly and dirty without imposing on anyone else. Basically hikers need to follow that old saying "when in (insert trail town here) do as the locals do" and a lot of these issues would cease to be.

Driver8
07-16-2011, 15:30
I was there in April and also had a bad experience. Do yourself a favor and don't go anywhere near that place.

The town is nice, friendly, convenient and right on trail (some things are pricey, but the IGA's ok). Shouldn't let one unfriendly person ruin a good trail town's rep.

Panzer1
07-16-2011, 18:58
Non-hikers don't understand why you stink. They don't want stinkey hikers around them or their place of business. If you stink they will want you to leave.

Panzer

Sly
07-16-2011, 19:07
Non-hikers don't understand why you stink. They don't want stinkey hikers around them or their place of business. If you stink they will want you to leave.

Panzer

One of the problems is Kent is an expensive town without a cheap alternative to clean up. I'm really surprised you don't see more laundromats with showers since it's the type of business transients, campers etc use.

Since it appears the management has problems with hikers, I'll ask the Companion field editor for that section, if they can take a few minutes to talk to them about improving the relationship.

R00K
07-16-2011, 19:22
I was a non-hiker before I was a hiker. Treating people poorly because of how they look is wrong. I work retail and 90% of our theft comes from a specific sex/ethnicity/style category. I DO NOT treated everyone of that sex/ethnicity/style the same just because a majorty of my experiance with them has been as stated.

Old Grouse
07-16-2011, 20:24
Kent actually has some nice pubic bathrooms just behind the steer sculptures. Why not freshen up there before attempting to charm the locals?

4Bears
07-16-2011, 20:32
I was a non-hiker before I was a hiker. Treating people poorly because of how they look is wrong. I work retail and 90% of our theft comes from a specific sex/ethnicity/style category. I DO NOT treated everyone of that sex/ethnicity/style the same just because a majorty of my experiance with them has been as stated.

In law enforcement circles that is called "racial profiling", just saying.

PennyPincher
07-16-2011, 20:39
Unfortunately I think the hikers who do the most damage to our community probably don't participate in fotms like this or belong to activist groups for the AT or other trails and likely will never learn the damage they are causing the community of hikers.

R00K
07-16-2011, 22:44

Noticing it happening? Or treating people differently after? (I agree if you're talking about the latter.)

I can't help what I see. Humans learn from recognizing patterns. I can however choose to not change my actions/opinions just because I what notice.

I see it, but I don't mentally group all those people together as pre-guilty thieves, or even as suspects.

And if we're using law enforcement circles as the moral compass on racial profiling this conversations not worth having. They're the biggest racial profilers I can think of. :D

My point is only that thinking "Hiker = *******" is incorrect and unfair.

"Hikers = smelly" I could agree with :D

4Bears
07-17-2011, 12:43
Noticing it happening? Or treating people differently after? (I agree if you're talking about the latter.)

I can't help what I see. Humans learn from recognizing patterns. I can however choose to not change my actions/opinions just because I what notice.

I see it, but I don't mentally group all those people together as pre-guilty thieves, or even as suspects.

And if we're using law enforcement circles as the moral compass on racial profiling this conversations not worth having. They're the biggest racial profilers I can think of. :D

My point is only that thinking "Hiker = *******" is incorrect and unfair.

"Hikers = smelly" I could agree with :D

Rook,
I didn't mean you were wrong in what you see, yes we do learn from patterns and thus it is hard to keep from letting them taint our thinking. All it would take at a post office for some clerk to act rudely (not saying it is right) toward a hiker is for them to have a couple less than desirable experiences and then "all" are bad. The best way to counter that is kill them with kindness, a chearful smile and a little humor. Hard for most people to continue with a hardened attitude while looking at a continual smile. It is hard to do sometimes but it works the majority of the time. Other times you just have to ask them the question of "Was there something I did to cause you to treat me this way??"

max patch
07-17-2011, 12:50
Nothing wrong with "profiling" as it works.

El Al, the Israel airline, is considered the most secure airline in the world because of its security protocols.

10-K
07-17-2011, 12:53
El Al, the Israel airline, is considered the most secure airline in the world because of its security protocols.

That's the first think I thought of when profiling came up. The Israelis are serious about staying alive.

Sly
07-17-2011, 13:08
Nothing wrong with "profiling" as it works.

That may be fine for terrorist but we're talking hikers here, for the most part a responsible group. It's nearly impossible to tell a lawyer from a street bum. Haha.

slowace
07-22-2011, 17:46
Kent actually has some nice pubic bathrooms just behind the steer sculptures. Why not freshen up there before attempting to charm the locals?

Now that's the most sensible thing anyone's said in this thread. You've got to meet people halfway. I'd like to add that for 95% of small businesses (lunch, laundry, grocery, whatever) it's basic politeness to leave your pack outside unless you ask someone first. Don't think of it as a purse or a wallet. Think of it more like a bicycle.

I'd also like to add that, if stinky hikers are the problem, hikers using the laundromat is part of the solution. Ideally, I'd like to interact with the bathrooms and laundry machines first, and then mingle with the sparkling citizens of Kent etc. Having to face a gauntlet of ill will while I'm still in transition is no fun. Why do they even need a human there scrutinizing the customers? We're there for the machines, not the company.

Driver8
07-22-2011, 17:57
Now that's the most sensible thing anyone's said in this thread. You've got to meet people halfway. I'd like to add that for 95% of small businesses (lunch, laundry, grocery, whatever) it's basic politeness to leave your pack outside unless you ask someone first. Don't think of it as a purse or a wallet. Think of it more like a bicycle.

I'd also like to add that, if stinky hikers are the problem, hikers using the laundromat is part of the solution. Ideally, I'd like to interact with the bathrooms and laundry machines first, and then mingle with the sparkling citizens of Kent etc. Having to face a gauntlet of ill will while I'm still in transition is no fun. Why do they even need a human there scrutinizing the customers? We're there for the machines, not the company.

Attendants work at nicer laundromats to help with problems, such as machines gobbling coins and not working, to keep order and to make sure no vandalism or the like happens. Also, lots of laundromats double as cleaners and even dry cleaners, as does my favorite one around the corner. ...

Generally, though, I agree with your sentiments in the post as a fresh cool breeze of reason.

Mountain Maiden
07-22-2011, 21:02
On my visit to Kent Laundromat in '02, I was clean and orderly and careful to leave things better than I found them. However, the treatment was the same as OP mentioned. But, they sure didn't mind taking nearly FOUR DOLLARS for a load of laundry! The most expensive laundry stop on the Trail! Oh well--there were many other great experiences to outweigh that one--HIKE ON!

Jack Tarlin
07-23-2011, 08:34
It would indeed be great if towns like Kent were to have some sort of clean-up facilities for hikers (the way that Hanover NH recently added a washer-dryer and shower room to their community center. But it should be pointed out that these improvements came about because people that lived in the town took the initiative and got things rolling......meaning that merely "suggesting" these ideas might not be enough. Hopefully, a local resident or group of folks might take the initiative on this, but otherwise, I don't see much changing in Kent unless the town residents themselves decide that this is a good idea.

mikec
07-23-2011, 10:47
I had a waitress in Kent tell me in 2004 that the town didn't really need the hikers and could do without them. And she knew that I was a hiker! So while I generally had a good stay in Kent (I ended up either staying or parking a car there in 04, 06 and 09 while sectioning) , I think that it is probably a bedroom community of people that work in NYC or are well off, retired and have a good deal of money. Therefore, the town isn't as dependent on hiker business as other trail towns.

Jeff
07-23-2011, 12:36
Therefore, the town isn't as dependent on hiker business as other trail towns.

I don't believe any trail town is dependent on hiker business. If they are, they are in big trouble.

Tuckahoe
07-23-2011, 12:38
I had a waitress in Kent tell me in 2004 that the town didn't really need the hikers and could do without them. And she knew that I was a hiker! So while I generally had a good stay in Kent (I ended up either staying or parking a car there in 04, 06 and 09 while sectioning) , I think that it is probably a bedroom community of people that work in NYC or are well off, retired and have a good deal of money. Therefore, the town isn't as dependent on hiker business as other trail towns.

Which I think begs the question -- What sort of impact on local economies do hikers really have, compared to the impact that hikers like to think they have.

Panzer1
07-23-2011, 12:58
I don't believe any trail town is dependent on hiker business. If they are, they are in big trouble.

+1 on that.

Panzer

WingedMonkey
07-23-2011, 13:49

I would agree that most trail towns have little benefit from the presence of the AT, certainly those in Connecticut and the Berkshires that are as stated before a play ground for New Yorkers. However some small towns can benefit from heavy trail use.
The Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation in it's support for the newer Great Eastern Trail states in a promotional brochure:

Like The Great Allegheny Passage, a 132-mile rail-turned-trail that has become a main thoroughfare for trail users seeking a wilder experience, the Great Eastern Trail will attract national and international visitors. The Passage generated over $12 million in direct spending in 2007, up from $7.3 million in 2002.

Towns all along the trail will serve as centers of commerce for trail users seeking food and other supplies. Like the trail town of Damascus in southwestern Virginia, some areas will be revitalized due to trail development. In Damascus, thirty-three new businesses have been developed due to the trails that converge in this former iron and timber town.

I was in a small crowded grocery store in the Berkshires one time when I overheard a New York visitor say to her companion "I wish these locals would find some place else to shop" It made my day.

Kent's not going to change until some former thru hiker with bucks opens a place there.

nufsaid
07-23-2011, 14:05
That may be fine for terrorist but we're talking hikers here, for the most part a responsible group. It's nearly impossible to tell a lawyer from a street bum. Haha.

Please don't offend street bums by comparing them with lawyers.

Rocket Jones
07-23-2011, 14:46
Acecdotal but sort of related. One large rocketry club in California makes sure that their members pay for anything at the local businesses with Sacagawea dollars. Once a month, the club decends on the area and the local businesses have absolute proof about how much money the rocket guys add to the economy. When the club started doing that, locals were much friendlier towards those "rocket nuts."

Trailbender
07-24-2011, 08:45

I call it being honest and realistic.

As far as Kent goes, I didn't have any issues, in fact, this one older guy was walking around the town with a cup of coffee and welcomed me there. I talked with several of the locals, and I did not get a bad feel about them. There wasn't one specific thing I can put my finger on, but there was a feeling of unwelcomeness. No one was specifically rude, it was just this vibe I got.

I was walking back to town from the IGA and I passed this fairly attractive girl, I smiled and said hi, but she just ignored me and kept walking. Maybe it was the beard.

Trailbender
07-24-2011, 08:51
Acecdotal but sort of related. One large rocketry club in California makes sure that their members pay for anything at the local businesses with Sacagawea dollars. Once a month, the club decends on the area and the local businesses have absolute proof about how much money the rocket guys add to the economy. When the club started doing that, locals were much friendlier towards those "rocket nuts."

Sucks that they would become much friendlier just because of money.

SassyWindsor
07-24-2011, 13:30
It just seems to me that trails, in general, have been getting trashed more, not less, than in years past. This would naturally carry over to trail towns and businesses frequented by hikers. I've been around more than a few hikers that I wished would leave the trail and not come back. The trashy hikers set a bad example resulting in all hikers paying the price. Just goes with the turf, and I do believe it's getting worse.

Jack Tarlin
07-24-2011, 13:30
It should be noted that in most cases, the towns and communities that are repeatedly cited as being "unfriendly" to hikers, or who provide "poor" services for them, well these tend to be the weathier communities, i.e. places like Boiling Springs; Salisbury, Kent, Williamstown, Manchester Center, Hanover, etc. We so frequently hear people ask why there are no hostels or clean-up places or camping areas in or near these towns, and the answer is pretty self-evident: People that live in houses that start at $785 grand generally aren't the kind of folks who want hikers living on their lawn or in their garages all summer; nor would their neighbors be thrilled at the prospect of living next door to a hiker bunkhouse; nor would folks find it easy to get permits to open these facilities, etc. Likewise, towns like this don't feel the need to have public bath-houses or free campsites for unkempt transients, many of whom are going to camp there for three days playing the guitar and drinking beer. Sorry, but this is NOT an addition to the town green, park, or ballfield that these folks are gonna endorse. Also, towns like this don't need public showers or even laundromats for obvious reasons......people that require these things don't live in towns like this because they can't afford to do so, i.e. there's no laundromat in Salisbury, mainly cuz people who live in million dollar homes usually have their own laundry facilities. In other words, folks, have realistic expectations in wealthy towns. There are some folks who are charmed at the annual infusion of hikers, but most folks could care less, and in many cases, there are those who don't necessarily see us as an asset. All I'm saying is that when it comes to our expectations of what it'd be nice to find in a "trail town", we have to be realistic about this. Not every trail town is going to see us the same way, and not every trail town is going to offer the same things, and expecting these things everywhere, especially for free or at minimal cost to the hiker, well this is simply unrealistic.

Lone Wolf
07-24-2011, 15:14
The trashy hikers set a bad example resulting in all hikers paying the price. Just goes with the turf, and I do believe it's getting worse.exactly why hostels like "The Place" have strict user rules now with a zero tolerance policy and in danger of closing

SassyWindsor
07-24-2011, 23:34
The problem is that some hikers think that trail towns depend on hikers when in fact (most) ALL hikers depend on trail towns, trail business', hiker friendly residents, etc along the trail. Treat others on the trail better than you would treat them if they were in your business. All hikers would appreciate it.

SassyWindsor
07-24-2011, 23:35

The problem is that some hikers think that trail towns depend on hikers when in fact (most) ALL hikers depend on trail towns, trail business', hiker friendly residents, etc along the trail. Treat others on the trail better than you would treat them if they were in your business. All of us hikers would appreciate it.

Panzer1
07-25-2011, 00:12
I always wondered if the fact that hikers use trail names instead of their real names makes them feel so anamyous that they don't behave as well as they should.

trail name: Panzer

Different Socks
07-25-2011, 00:29
back in the day when i got to a town the first thing i did was go shower, do laundry and put on fresh duds before goin' to eat/drink at at bar/restaurant. i would never just walk into a place just off the trail with my pack and sit down and commence eating and drinking. today's walkers think nothing of it. the scales are tipping. bad hikers are outweighing the good ones

Lone Wolf, I have been that way on every hike I do. If I get a room first, I clean up the best I can, then go to the PO. If I go to the PO first, I get outside ASAP b/c I know I probably stink. I never, ever go to a restaurant before I clean up. Wouldn't want to sit next to a single table with a smelly hiker either. When hitching for rides, I try to be as presentable as possible and if offered a ride I tell the driver, "I stink, is that ok?" Never had a driver say no.

As for the laundry lady, was she of a Middle Eastern descent? I know i sounds mean, but too many times I've been treated badly by these types of people because i don't do it their way, or I don't purchase something.

Iceaxe
07-25-2011, 00:41
I have a story to tell about Kent Connecticut.
A contractor on his way into town picked three of us up in the driving rain.
The owner of the coffee shop gave us free refills of coffee.
After the three of us finished eating a big breakfast, the waitress told us the group of Veterans across from us paid our bill. They would not accept any money so we left a big tip for the waitress and thanked them profusely.
The outfitter held my package free of charge. Though i did not need them i bought candy bars and snacks from him in return.
The laundry mat has signs posted informing hikers NOT to take showers in the sink. We respected them.
I did not have a shower from Deleware Water gap PA until Salibury CT.
This is not the fault of the laundry mat or the people of Kent.
It was my own choice to respect the trail towns wishes in the hopes that they welcome hikers in the future.
What you do in town may not impact you immediately. It most definitely impacts those that follow in your foot steps.

Migrating Bird
07-25-2011, 08:56
[QUOTE=WingedMonkey;1183105]

I was in a small crowded grocery store in the Berkshires one time when I overheard a New York visitor say to her companion "I wish these locals would find some place else to shop" It made my day.

This happens everyday here in the Berkshires. I over heard one say to another "I wish the locals would shop here during the week so we could shop here on weekends". I watched a NYer eat an ice cream sandwich while standing in line to check out and just drop the wrapper on the floor. So much of our local economy comes from thier "big bucks" that thru hikers contribution to the local ecomomy is like a pimple on an elephants a**.

But just like some thru hikers, some New Yorkers, when they are away from home they feel they have a sense of entitlement and the rules manners and common courtesy do not apply.

Driver8
07-25-2011, 10:18
What you do in town may not impact you immediately. It most definitely impacts those that follow in your foot steps.

Amen. My friend and I hiked Macedonia State Park last fall (old AT routing) and stopped at the IGA, somewhat soiled and sweaty. Some of the fellow patrons at the grocery store at first looked at us askance, but, seeing that a) we were hikers, and b) we had big smiles on our face and were courteous, they were cordial to friendly. The store's staff were welcoming and helpful.

Sounds like the laundromat owner has some personal issues with hikers and is an outlier. The town, though upper crust, especially in the summer with weekenders, is, I believe, proud and happy to be a trail town and admires the hikers which visit it, so long as they have decent manners. Doubtless it would help one's treatment from townsfolk if one showered up and wore reasonably clean clothes prior to mingling. That's true anywhere, doubtless, moreso at Kent than in some other trail towns, most likely.

WingedMonkey
07-25-2011, 13:55
So much of our local economy comes from thier "big bucks" that thru hikers contribution to the local ecomomy is like a pimple on an elephants a**.
But just like some thru hikers, some New Yorkers, when they are away from home they feel they have a sense of entitlement and the rules manners and common courtesy do not apply.

I rented a house in West Stockbridge one winter from one of those New Yorkers. It is amazing what the towns and the trails turn into when only the residents are left.

sbhikes
07-25-2011, 14:08
It's good that a warning goes out about mistreatment of hikers at a laundromat. It indicates that being dirty and rude is not acceptable. A lot of hikers think everyone should kiss their feet becuase they are so special. Life doesn't work that way. Clean up a little before you go out in public. Don't leave places dirtier than you found them. Be a gracious guest.

10-K
07-25-2011, 14:51
It's probably better to go into a town without any preconceived notions about how you're going to be treated.

If you expect to be mistreated it could totally change your "vibe" and sure enough, you'll get mistreated.

Personally, I never met a town I didn't like. Manchester Center and Hanover were my 2 favorite towns and they're both a bit upscale from say... Erwin or Hiawassee..

Trailbender
07-25-2011, 16:23
I tried to clean up before I went to a food resupply, ect, but I found on my thru sometimes a sudden opportunity presents itself and you gotta take advantage right then or lose it. For example, I was headed into Gorham, NH for a resupply, got picked up, and they offered to take me to the wal-mart. I didn't have time to shower or anything, and I wouldn't have expected the driver to wait around on me. So I went straight in there, resupplied, and they drove me back to the trail. I had a few drivers do this for me, so I would shop fast and get back out as a courtesy, and I always appreciated it, and made sure to tell them.

Sometimes, and stuff like that happened several times, you just gotta get your business done, and I would rather not walk around wal-mart after not showering or doing laundry for a week, but it was do that or lose the opportunity.

middle to middle
07-06-2013, 12:19
I have a friend who is a seal. They do it right. Sky dive in travel light and fast and get re supply dropped in to you.
Dis regarding all other negatives that is.

Pathfinder1
07-06-2013, 13:10
I have a friend who is a seal. They do it right. Sky dive in travel light and fast and get re supply dropped in to you.
Dis regarding all other negatives that is.

Hi..

That's SEAL, friend...!!

tawa
07-06-2013, 21:43
----it is what it is---if Im not responsible--and didn't cause it --I just accept it and hike on!

tawa
07-06-2013, 21:48
in other words I've learned to quit expecting other folks to act the way I think they ought to act! I have no knowledge of what they have dealt with prior to my arrival so if I cant help the situation I move on down the trail! With that said---I go out of my way to be grateful---humble---and respectable. If that doesn't work its a toxic situation for me and I head on down the trail!

Teacher & Snacktime
07-07-2013, 00:57
the cops hang around there too. Don't get cought changing your clothes at the laundrymat. I'm sure there is a law against that.

Panzer

I have to disagree with you there. Kent does not have its own Police force, but has to depend on officers from a nearby town. Cops don't "hang out" anywhere in Kent. (unfortunately, that means they're also completely unavailable for assistance if you need it).

Teacher & Snacktime
07-07-2013, 01:06

No, not all of Kent is bad....some of the business and folks are quite nice. The lady in the post office was uber-friendly and helpful, and the Outfitter Annie was terrific. But...the IGA folk were so-so, the local burger-ish restaurant requires hikers to stay outside, and the guy who ran the gas station at the center of town was a total jerk.

The most significant example of the Kentish however was the lady who couldn't help us get home (she had no cell) but offered us floor space in her house for the night when we were stranded in the center of town. We declined, so she waited vigil with us into the wee hours while we waited for the family to come get us. (technically though she wasn't from Kent....but from nearby Warren)

Different Socks
07-07-2013, 08:43
I am the same way. It always surprised me that any hiker on any trail would go straight to a restaurant from the trail before cleaning up. Hell, I'd even try to clean up a bit before I tried to catch a ride.

Drybones
07-07-2013, 10:13
Yeah, a lot are grumpy, but I would HATE to have their job for even an hour. .

There are 15,000,000 people out there that would love to have thier job, including me. You can't get fired and you have every holiday off and every benefit under the sun...they get no simpathy from me! They should be grateful for that job.

Drybones
07-07-2013, 10:18
The town is nice, friendly, convenient and right on trail (some things are pricey, but the IGA's ok). Shouldn't let one unfriendly person ruin a good trail town's rep.

Unfortunately towns are like restraunts...you get 1000 good meals and then get a bad one and never go back.

RED-DOG
07-08-2013, 07:21
I have stopped in Kent many times and done my Laundry their each time with out any problems I highly recommend the town and the Laundromat, I wish folks would quite Bashing and bad mouthing great Establishments when things don't work out to their expectations, You are no Celebrity you are just another customer so treat that way so GROW UP.:datz

Teacher & Snacktime
07-08-2013, 18:20
Hmmm...I think perhaps that the OP would have been quite content to be recognized as a CUSTOMER rather than a CELEBRTY, and afforded the treatment due any other customer. This does not appear to have been the case however. It was stated that the owner did not care for hiker business, an odd thing in a trail town, but certainly withing the owner's perogative. The OP was trying to warn others that they could also be made to feel "bad" by this discourtesy....thus the post.

Perhaps you might learn to read for comprehension, and grow up yourself.

Lone Wolf
07-08-2013, 20:51
perhaps until you have walked through there as a hiker you should withhold judgement

Teacher & Snacktime
07-09-2013, 02:23
perhaps until you have walked through there as a hiker you should withhold judgement

I agree, LW.....everyone has bad days, and perhaps that's all that the OP encountered.

coach lou
07-09-2013, 07:17
All I can say is "Welcome to Connecticut":welcome......................................:dat z

Old Grouse
07-09-2013, 19:50
All I can say is "Welcome to Connecticut":welcome......................................:dat z

+ 1, Coach

Wise Old Owl
07-09-2013, 20:01
Quite possibly the dumbest thread with 10K hits. Sometimes it's up to us as a group to bathe and raise the social skills... Please remember to smile and say stupid things like "I appreciate your thoughts,,, but we are here as customers and you are a dumb ass, and I don't care about your small minded view.... My money is still green.."

When you get older you learn to get away with comments like the above... feel free to adapt it to your liking.

Driver8
07-10-2013, 01:58
No, not all of Kent is bad....some of the business and folks are quite nice. The lady in the post office was uber-friendly and helpful, and the Outfitter Annie was terrific. But...the IGA folk were so-so, the local burger-ish restaurant requires hikers to stay outside, and the guy who ran the gas station at the center of town was a total jerk.

The IGA folk have treated me and a fellow hiker well, and I've done just fine at the gas station you mention.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-10-2013, 23:08
We were stranded in Kent with no cell service. There was a pay phone outside the gas station..but it was out of order. We went inside to ask the clerk if there was another phone in town we could use. He said no, they had the only pay phone in town. Then I asked if he could direct me to someplace where I might be able to make an emergency call. He said no, that most people had their own phones and didn't need anything else. When I explained that my phone didn't get reception, he simply said "I guess you're out of luck".

Now, I don't judge him to be a jerk because I was a hiker in need of assistance and he was unwilling to help. I judge him a jerk because I was a human being in need of assistance, and he was unwilling to even direct me to a source of help.

cliffdiver
07-10-2013, 23:20
If everyone would just follow two simple rules, everything would be great. 1. Hike your own hike. 2. Don't be a dick. It's a shame, if in fact, hikers were responsible for the laundromat's attitude, but I can only be responsible for myself and no one else. I treat others how I would like to be treated- nicely and expect the same from others. Overall, my experience this year as been overwhelmingly positive with trail towns except when they try to run me over...

Driver8
07-11-2013, 02:03
Now, I don't judge him to be a jerk because I was a hiker in need of assistance and he was unwilling to help. I judge him a jerk because I was a human being in need of assistance, and he was unwilling to even direct me to a source of help.

He does sound like a jerk, Teacher, but he's one person who may no longer even work at that station. I wouldn't assess town on one data point like that, bad though it was. Shame he didn't take a more helpful approach with you - totally unnecessary.

Ron Haven
07-11-2013, 11:25
;)we have a laundromat in Franklin, NC that was that way to to the hikers. That is why I put a guest laundry room at all of my motels. I was up your way a couple of weeks ago and saw a lot of south bounders around Rutland and in Kent also. I would hav stop to chat but I had the family on vacation and they were in a hurry. Maybe I will see you in Franklin and you can wash your clothes here, Ron

atmilkman
07-11-2013, 11:48
We were stranded in Kent with no cell service. There was a pay phone outside the gas station..but it was out of order. We went inside to ask the clerk if there was another phone in town we could use. He said no, they had the only pay phone in town. Then I asked if he could direct me to someplace where I might be able to make an emergency call. He said no, that most people had their own phones and didn't need anything else. When I explained that my phone didn't get reception, he simply said "I guess you're out of luck".

I'm just wondering if it would have made any difference if you were sporting a Gucci bag instead of a backpack.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-11-2013, 13:29
I'm just wondering if it would have made any difference if you were sporting a Gucci bag instead of a backpack.

I doubt it. I didn't get any pretentious vibe from him, just an uncaring one. I don't think he'd have been willing to help anyone.

Butterfly58
07-14-2013, 08:45
Ron Haven, thank you for all you do for hikers. I can't wait to meet you and stay in one of your places on my thru next year!

Crazy Larry #1
07-15-2013, 06:58
I disagree that the bad outweigh the good but other than that I agree with the fact that there are some bad apples and each year it seems there is an element of folk that comes to the trail just to wreak havoc on the unsuspecting....

Driver8
07-15-2013, 11:14
Was just in Kent yesterday with some thrus. Shuttled them to the laundromat and we stopped in. The ladies who work there, not sure who owns it, were surly. Not friendly at all. Not to be mean, but it was not a well-organized laundromat. Two such places that I use in my town are models or organization and efficiency. Not the case with this place. I'd chalk it up as just not a good laundromat.

Meanwhile, the Fife n' Drum was great for a bit and a brew, the outfitters were very nice and welcoming as were the ppl at IGA, and the minister of a church in town was going out of his way to look after a deaf hiker coming through town, who needed a shuttle uptrail, which I provided, with the minister, not the hiker, chipping in for my gas. I think Kent is fine, though pricey for comparable goods and services, and the people are mostly friendly. The cranky laundry ladies may cast a pall on things but should be taken in context.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-15-2013, 14:35
off topic a tad.....read Army Ant's post that he met you in CT.....I'm hoping to cross his path in MA, and let Snacktime have a chance to meet Roo

oruacat2
07-17-2013, 15:50
The maddening part about being on the outside-looking-in on this thread is that hikers using laundromats ARE attempting to "clean up".
Some business is gonna be first - do you wash your clothes at the laundromat before you go to the hotel, or vice versa? Are hotel frontdesk clerks just less uppity if you secure a room THEN wander off to wash your dirty clothes?
Pretty silly stuff, really. Entertaining, at least.
I also wonder exactly who this laundry owner considers clientele? By its very nature it's not a business which attracts those who can afford or have easy access to their own washer/dryer.

TD55
07-17-2013, 16:38
Anybody should know you are supposed to shower and put on clean cloths before going to the laundromat. Just common courtesy to wash your dirty cloths before you take them there.

greenmtnboy
08-10-2013, 14:07
I was doing some clothes today at this laundromat; $3 for a wash and $2 for a dry, but not very long. So basically most people have to pay for two dry cycles. I accidentally put in three extra quarters to the wash cycle; no refund or coin return.

The hostile laundromat manager had the place chock full of laundered items she was doing for Club Getaway, the $200 a night resort locally. I asked her how she was, she said nothing.

A hiker was told curtly to put her pack, etc. in the back, par for the course. I wonder what legal rights hikers have with rude, discourteous or otherwise conduct probably in violation of the civil rights act. Remember all those people who fought so hard in marches, etc., to have their equal human rights respected? Formerly they had to ride in back of the bus or were not served at restaurants. The sign that says an establishment has the right to refuse service to other humans may well be a violation of civil and constitutional rights. No???

Drybones
08-10-2013, 14:24
I was doing some clothes today at this laundromat; $3 for a wash and $2 for a dry, but not very long. So basically most people have to pay for two dry cycles. I accidentally put in three extra quarters to the wash cycle; no refund or coin return.

The hostile laundromat manager had the place chock full of laundered items she was doing for Club Getaway, the $200 a night resort locally. I asked her how she was, she said nothing.

A hiker was told curtly to put her pack, etc. in the back, par for the course. I wonder what legal rights hikers have with rude, discourteous or otherwise conduct probably in violation of the civil rights act. Remember all those people who fought so hard in marches, etc., to have their equal human rights respected? Formerly they had to ride in back of the bus or were not served at restaurants. The sign that says an establishment has the right to refuse service to other humans may well be a violation of civil and constitutional rights. No???

If being rude to someone was a civil rights violation I'd go to jail for saying what I think of this post.

JustaTouron
08-10-2013, 14:26
The sign that says an establishment has the right to refuse service to other humans may well be a violation of civil and constitutional rights. No???

A policy of excluding people based on race, national origin, handicap or religion is a violation of the law. Sexual orientation (maybe), age (maybe), gender (most of the time). But "hiker" is not a protected class in any law I know of. A business most certainly have have a policy that if one customer's smell is like to offend another than the smelly one is not welcome. Likewise having a policy of not allowing backpacks in the establishment is perfectly legal.

greenmtnboy
08-10-2013, 15:10
A policy of excluding people based on race, national origin, handicap or religion is a violation of the law. Sexual orientation (maybe), age (maybe), gender (most of the time). But "hiker" is not a protected class in any law I know of. A business most certainly have have a policy that if one customer's smell is like to offend another than the smelly one is not welcome. Likewise having a policy of not allowing backpacks in the establishment is perfectly legal.

So in the area of odor, surely there are quite a few issues sure to irritate people; perfume and essential oils, the body odor, no matter how weak or strong, in men muskiness and old man smell in women menstruous and other odors; the appearance of others, the clothing, etc.. I would like to see the lawyers fight it out as they try to prove someone's odor was inappropriate or even lacking therefore proof that someone was pallid and in poor health.

JustaTouron
08-10-2013, 15:24
So in the area of odor, surely there are quite a few issues sure to irritate people; perfume and essential oils, the body odor, no matter how weak or strong, in men muskiness and old man smell in women menstruous and other odors; the appearance of others, the clothing, etc.. I would like to see the lawyers fight it out as they try to prove someone's odor was inappropriate or even lacking therefore proof that someone was pallid and in poor health.

The laundromat owner doesn't have to prove the hiker's body odor was offense. The hiker would have to prove they they were discriminated for an illegal reason, such as race, religion, or national origin.

greenmtnboy
08-10-2013, 15:31
The laundromat owner doesn't have to prove the hiker's body odor was offense. The hiker would have to prove they they were discriminated for an illegal reason, such as race, religion, or national origin.

Oh, so someone may discriminate for any arbitrary reason, just as long as it is not a provable violation of race, religion, etc.? I seriously doubt that. I'm just waiting for the real civil and constitutional lawyers to press some of these violations. The Appalachian Trail is a federally protected trail, still when people are not physically on the trail all of their rights are still operative; but as usual unless people care and press the issue, it does not get addressed.

Pedaling Fool
08-10-2013, 15:38
More lawyers...be carefule of what you wish for, because we all discriminate.

Rasty
Oh, so someone may discriminate for any arbitrary reason, just as long as it is not a provable violation of race, religion, etc.? I seriously doubt that. I'm just waiting for the real civil and constitutional lawyers to press some of these violations. The Appalachian Trail is a federally protected trail, still when people are not physically on the trail all of their rights are still operative; but as usual unless people care and press the issue, it does not get addressed.

The laundromat isn't in a public building. The owner of the laundromat could require evening gowns for the ladies and tuxedos for the men if they wanted. Dress code and smell is not race, religion, sex, etc.

Sarcasm the elf

This. I was about to write the exact same response, thanks for saving me the time.

Greenmtnboy, sorry that you felt like the proprietor of this establishment was a d*ck, if you have a problem with how you were treated at then don't give them any more business and warn others about your experience.

That said, there is no law forcing people to be nice to you and the fact that you think your rights were violated is ridiculous. You show me a town that has tourists (and hikers are tourists) and I will find you a certain percentage of the locals that can't stand them, it's really that simple and it's their right . If this doesn't make sense to you, spend some time living in a touristy area and you learn to understand.

Symba
08-10-2013, 16:32
this is getting too political for me. :D

Omaha_Ace
08-10-2013, 20:28
This isn't the first time I have heard about the Notorious Laundry Bitch of Kent, Connecticut. This is flipping awesome. Made my night!

Sly
08-10-2013, 21:05
Beware of the laundromat in Damascus. There isn't any.

Drybones
08-10-2013, 21:12
More lawyers...be carefule of what you wish for, because we all discriminate.

True statement...we all tend to feel more confortable around those like us...I like tall, slim, not too good looking, not too bright southerners... for some reason I seem to fit in with those, dont know why.

Drybones
08-10-2013, 21:14

You got me curious...how old are you son?

Sarcasm the elf
08-10-2013, 21:14
This isn't the first time I have heard about the Notorious Laundry Bitch of Kent, Connecticut.

This is flipping awesome. Made my night!

I first saw that comment when it was posted two years ago and it's still one of the funniest lines I've ever read on this site.

While I have a rule about not spreading rumors about people/businesses I haven't met, I will admit that it's been tough to resist using this gem of a title when talking to hikers passing through Connecticut.

Drybones
08-10-2013, 21:16
I disagree that the bad outweigh the good but other than that I agree with the fact that there are some bad apples and each year it seems there is an element of folk that comes to the trail just to wreak havoc on the unsuspecting....

I agree with your disagreement.

Drybones
08-10-2013, 21:20

Grow up kid...your not entitled to anything.

Ron Haven
08-11-2013, 00:23
My hiking partner and I stopped into this laundomat today to catch up our laundry and were instantly told we were not allowed on the front porch because we are hikers and that the manager does not care for hiker business. We were scolded loudly, to our embarrassment, not to lean on the clean tables as we will get them too dirty for others to fold their clothes. The manager stated clearly that she has "had a problem with hikers" and therefor feels justified in treating us differently than her other customers. We had done nothing at all to bring on this treatment other than wearing hiking boots and carrying a pack. We have found all other businesses here in Kent CT to be very hiker friendly and DO recommend visiting the town, just maybe do laundry elsewhere.It's amazing that most people along our journey treat us like celebrities...offering any help they can give or just wanting to hear our stories, while there are those few that can be quite hurtful.Hope this helps our fellow thru hikers a bit.Now...On to Maine we go!I believe this is the same place Ms Janet said she got run off from.

rocketsocks
08-11-2013, 02:17

Knock, Knock, Knock....Odor in the court!

Crazy Larry #1
08-11-2013, 08:06
Well I have laundry included for my guests......

Bronk
08-11-2013, 08:28

Its a simple matter of property rights. If you own the property you should be able to say what goes there, including putting up a sign that says "Dirty, smelly hikers not allowed."

Wise Old Owl
08-11-2013, 09:02
You could wear poly pro head to toe.... kick off the socks use a little Dr. Bonners or Ivory and jump in with the clothes on and drip dry in 30 minutes. I call it the "Chilly Willie"... Problem solved - No more need for quarters.

Dr Richard Cranium... nice one! That was outstanding sir!

Driver8
08-11-2013, 11:53
Its a simple matter of property rights. If you own the property you should be able to say what goes there ...

Within the confines of the law. You can't maintain a meth lab or an armaments depot, most likely, and you can't exclude customers on the basis of their race, creed, gender, etc. Smelly hikerness, though, is not a legally protected status.

It seems to be consensus that the people who run this place are unfriendly. They may be able to get away with that if they're the only 'mat for a long distance, which seems likely. There was a guy there the day Oz, IM and I stopped by who was more friendly. It felt as though he was making up for the surliness of the two women who work there. Oz, in fact, said he got a somewhat friendly response from the ladies when he mentioned that he had worked at a laundry. Maybe they liked that, maybe they liked his Aussie charm, who knows?

I'd guess that these ladies are cranky to a lot of ppl, not just hikers. Probably are nice to some of their regular customers, a select few but not all. As I said before, it's a messy place, just seems like a bad 'mat.

Sly
08-11-2013, 12:48
Probably not easy to find someone with a bubbling personality to run a laundromat for stinky hikers and their raunchy packs in Connecticut.

Wise Old Owl
08-11-2013, 12:58
I agree can we put this to bed Sly?

max patch
08-11-2013, 13:10
Well, there used to be a laundromat in Kent, then it closed, and now one is open again (same location?). If it closed again they ya'll wouldn't have anything to bitch about.

Sly
08-11-2013, 13:15
I agree can we put this to bed Sly?

Would but I'm not the mod of this forum.

greenmtnboy
08-11-2013, 13:50
In their defense I will say that the operators are no doubt very hard working but burned out in the job of serving the general public including hikers. I heard that she was on one of the emergency call systems, and came back one night to find her house had been robbed of major valuables. I hope they get the support staff because clearly it is doing lots of business. And no I wasn't a target of her hostility, but the hikers I saw going there, after the day before of torrential downpours; plus this thread makes a strong case of the problem.

Lone Wolf
08-11-2013, 14:20
the "hiking community", whatever that is, has brought this on themselves. gets worse as the years roll by. i see it here at the laundramat in damascus. their wet, dity, stinkin gear spread everywhere. drinkin' beer while half naked in front of lady senior citizens doing their laundry. thru-hikers have no respect for local businesses and townsfolks

nothin' has changed. although the laundromat in damascus is closed

HikerMom58
08-11-2013, 14:24
Probably not easy to find someone with a bubbling personality to run a laundromat for stinky hikers and their raunchy packs in Connecticut.

NO DOUBT!!!

I'm sure it would be really easy to become jaded.

I've been so lucky not to have met many entitled hikers.

The one I did meet, at Woods Hole Hostel, really got to me... :eek: He felt entitled enough to take venison out of their freezer that was clearly not meant for hikers and proceeded to thaw it on the campfire, for his dinner. He helped himself to the candy etc.. that you were supposed to "pay for". (honor system) Then, he signed up for the breakfast that you need to pay for, knowing he didn't have the money to pay or wasn't prepared to pay for.. ( another hiker covered for him) The last straw was when he got mad at Neville for asking him to pay for his nights stay. He threw the money at her.

I think that when ones that run/or works in business that have to deal with these types of hikers, should try their best to get away, when they feel they have become jaded. After a while, it can't help but spill over and start affecting their attitude and interactions with all hikers. Sounds like this is the case, here, in part.

Teacher & Snacktime
08-11-2013, 18:08
I'm always petrified that I'll portray the "entitled hiker" through some act of ignorance or misinterpretation. To assure myself that this won't be the case, I affect an attitude of humility and supplication that would be unlikely in my home and familiar environment. I figure it's for the greater good, and will keep everyone at ease. Most of my encounters with local business have been pleasant enough thus far, and I tend to credit this approach. We are in fact dependent on the businesses, much more than they are dependent on us, and should act accordingly appreciative.

Driver8
08-11-2013, 19:36
I think that when ones that run/or works in business that have to deal with these types of hikers, should try their best to get away, when they feel they have become jaded. After a while, it can't help but spill over and start affecting their attitude and interactions with all hikers. Sounds like this is the case, here, in part.

It seems pretty clear that hiker traffic makes for a small percentage of this place's business, even during the peak thru season in July it's probably 10%. It might be 25% of their coin-op business for 6 weeks in summer, but that doesn't include the bulk work that gets brought into them, which is more profitable work - I'm friends with our neighborhood 'mat owner here.

Remember, we're a lot more focused on the hiker community than they are. I think these people's attitude has more to do with their personalities, possibly with their place in this community and that hikers to them are an after-thought or occasional nuisance. They seem to look at most coin-op customers, maybe most customers, as nuisances.

HikerMom58
08-11-2013, 20:03
I'm always petrified that I'll portray the "entitled hiker" through some act of ignorance or misinterpretation. To assure myself that this won't be the case, I affect an attitude of humility and supplication that would be unlikely in my home and familiar environment. I figure it's for the greater good, and will keep everyone at ease. Most of my encounters with local business have been pleasant enough thus far, and I tend to credit this approach. We are in fact dependent on the businesses, much more than they are dependent on us, and should act accordingly appreciative.

T&S... you are so sweet. It pains me to think of you and others like you being treated unfairly just b/c you are hiking.

I feel really strongly about this!!!

I felt so vulnerable when I was a hiking the trail. I felt very dependent on others in ways I had never felt before. The main reason for this is b/c I had to meet my basic needs- food/water, clothing and shelter in the "woods". I had no way of resuppling my food, freshening/cleaning my clothes etc... except by walking to places that could help me out with these things. Did I mention I needed a "ride", sometimes?? :) I found out very quickly that I was "very needy/dependent and felt vulnerable. I really was dependent on others and the services that they could provide.

So when I read your statement that I put in bold. I could agree with 100%.

But here's the thing... just as hikers can take try to take advantage of people that provide services to hikers, treat them with disrespect, crap all over them, have "entitlement issues" on and on.... Businesses can also be guilty of the same thing.

Businesses/ people that provide services that know hikers need them, can act just as hateful, rude, take advantage of them by overcharging etc... crap all over hikers, if you will, as well.

I am getting so sick and tired of hearing about how people don't owe hikers ANYTHING!! BS!!!

Business owners owe (hikers) EVERYONE respect, common courtesy etc... same thing they would give any one else that would use their services.

If someone DARES to complain about mistreatment of any kind by businesses owners towards hikers they are mocked, ridiculed and BLAMED for it all. (accused of bitching) They are judged as being an ENTITLED hiker, and basically told to shut up and go away.

I'M TIRED OF IT!!!!

Teacher, you should not always be petrified that you will portray the "entitled hiker". You aren't even close to that type of person. It's listening to all the BS of some people,on this site, that has you feeling that way.

This will be SHOCKING to some people on this site but it isn't always the hikers that are RUDE, DEMANDING, READY TO RIP PEOPLE OFF etc...

When I interact with my local businesses, they are just as appreciative of me as I am of them. That's the way it works and that's the way it should be... HIKING OR NOT!!

I'm feeling ............:mad:

max patch
08-11-2013, 20:19
Businesses/ people that provide services that know hikers need them, can act just as hateful, rude, take advantage of them by overcharging etc... crap all over hikers, if you will, as well.

I can not name a single business that treated me as a hiker in the way you describe.

Care to give some examples?

Drybones
08-11-2013, 20:26
I can not name a single business that treated me as a hiker in the way you describe.

I've had only one bad experience and that was Standing Bear, Lady of the house was a sweety, the guy was an a** Hol*....cant win them all.

Lone Wolf
08-11-2013, 20:32
[/B]

T&S... you are so sweet. It pains me to think of you and others like you being treated unfairly just b/c you are hiking.

I felt so vulnerable when I was a hiking the trail. I felt very dependent on others in ways I had never felt before. The main reason for this is b/c I had to meet my basic needs- food/water, clothing and shelter in the "woods". I had no way of resuppling my food, freshening/cleaning my clothes etc... except by walking to places that could help me out with these things. Did I mention I needed a "ride", sometimes?? :) I found out very quickly that I was "very needy/dependent and felt vulnerable. I really was dependent on others and the services that they could provide.

But here's the thing... just as hikers can take try to take advantage of people that provide services to hikers, treat them with disrespect, crap all over them, have "entitlement issues" on and on.... Businesses can also be guilty of the same thing.

I am getting so sick and tired of hearing about how people don't owe hikers ANYTHING!! BS!!!

Business owners owe (hikers) EVERYONE respect, common courtesy etc... same thing they would give any one else that would use their services.

If someone DARES to complain about mistreatment of any kind by businesses owners towards hikers they are mocked, ridiculed and BLAMED for it all. (accused of bitching) They are judged as being an ENTITLED hiker, and basically told to shut up and go away.

I'M TIRED OF IT!!!!

Teacher, you should not always be petrified that you will portray the "entitled hiker". You aren't even close to that type of person. It's listening to all the BS of some people,on this site, that has you feeling that way.

This will be SHOCKING to some people on this site but it isn't always the hikers that are RUDE, DEMANDING, READY TO RIP PEOPLE OFF etc...

When I interact with my local businesses, they are just as appreciative of me as I am of them. That's the way it works and that's the way it should be... HIKING OR NOT!!

I'm feeling ............:mad:you haven't hiked enuf to really know what you're typing about. AT hikers cause a lot of hatred in towns

JustaTouron
08-11-2013, 20:32
HikerMomKD (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?26606-HikerMomKD) ,

A large part of the problem on both sides, is they are one time transactions.

Doesn't matter how nice or how lousy the folks in Kent treat hikers at the laundromat, the hiker is not going to become a regular customer. On the other hand if a regular customer is offended by the hikers smell and they take their business elsewhere the business has lost someone that does 100-150 times as much wash per year at the laundromat as the hiker that drove them away.

Same at the grocery store.

Add in that as general class, hikers are cheap, the waitstaff at a restaurant know who the good tippers are and who isn't. And they have good reason to think a thru-hiker is likely to be a great tipper, regardless of the level of service.

When you interact with your local business, it is based on developing a long term customer. This is not true for hikers who will be gone in day, never to be seen again.

hikerboy57
08-11-2013, 20:33
[/B]

I'M TIRED OF IT!!!!

i'll simply say you and i are just not gonna see eye to eye on this one.
best way to get respect is to give it. some people wont reciprocate any way,so just deal with it.
hikermom, you are a giver,but you cant expect everyone else to be. expectations, thats what its all about.
and sometimes some people just have a bad day.

Driver8
08-11-2013, 21:40

In my experience of three-plus years out and about, in the A.T. corridor and elsewhere in New England, HikerMom, I've seen little of the sort of bad attitude toward hikers from townies and from hikers to townies that bothers you. It bothers most of us when it happens, whoever has the bad attitude, but there's not a lot of it, not that I've seen.

That's what makes the Kent laundry ladies, or maybe Joe to Go in Jersey, memorable - they are rare.

Another poster has pointed out that a given thru is unlikely to become a steady, repeat customer. But trail town businesses know that word among the A.T. hiker community gets out, and they are eager, from what I've seen and heard from the business owners themselves, to get good hiker word-of-mouth. There are cranky business folk out thee, and in a sense it's not a surprise that the Kent Laundry folk get away with crankiness if they're the only 'mat in that small town and the only one for 10-15 miles in every direction. They know they have a captive audience in both the townsfolk and in hikers. Thank goodness they're the exception to the much broader rule.

With respect, this seems to push certain buttons for you, which riles you up maybe more than some of us. Nobody likes to feel vulnerable and taken advantage of, as you describe. But sometimes people will do that to other people. Gotta guard against it as best we can and slog through it when we must. :)

HikerMom58
08-11-2013, 23:17
You guys know me well!

It does push my buttons when I get the impression that hikers are all bad and the "entitled ones".

LIke when I read T&S's post. She's petrified she's going to be an entitled hiker..I mean, she not anything close to an "entitled hiker". These "impressions" are the ones I'm beginning to get a lot on here, as well.

Another example - hikers are always the ones that are expecting "favors" from people!!

For example, Koko's thread about him needing to charge up his phone, (the morally obligated part was a bit over the top) but other than that, it was a reasonable request. It didn't matter if he was a hiker or not, if he needed his phone charged, it's not unreasonable to ask a person that you just bought $50 dollars worth of stuff from, if you can charge your phone. It's reasonable to me. Nothing entitled about it.

In fact, a hiker called me from Daleville, mentioned that he was in Mill Mountain Coffee charging up his phone, there.
I found myself being relieved that there wasn't any "drama" associated with that.:eek: Or catching flack that he even had a phone????
This is not my normal way of thinking... I don't like it!!

Also, the thinking that if you ask a business person for a service and they say "no" (for no apparent/reasonable reason) you shouldn't be upset or have any negative feelings about it at all. It's always the hikers fault. The hiker should have planned better. The business person is too tired- you're bothering them. You shouldn't expect them to roll out the red carpet for you.. yada yada. Who do you think you are???
Most business people are saints and the hikers are the devil. A business person is doing "charity" work when you provide them with your services. They are giving so much and all hikers only take away.

Is this really true???

And lastly the excuse that business owners/workers have a right to be cranky & bitter because of all the "other hikers" did them dirty. So we just need to tuck out tails between our legs & put up with all kinds of rude behavior because that's the way it is. Hikers have no right to be treated with any kind of respect and should expect this type of treatment.

I can't think of any time when I was personally treated this way but I read about the "rare" times it did/does happen. I read people's responses on here about these rare encounters & these are the impressions I get when I read about it.

So these quick in & then gone transactions between hikers and businesses are not good for the hiker/businesses in general?? I guess that would highly depend on the type of business.

This thinking is depressing. I don't think it's really all true though.

I've never seen fellow backpackers "beat up" on other fellow backpackers, in the "real" world, like what happens in here, SOMETIMES.

Sly
08-11-2013, 23:25
I've never seen fellow backpackers "beat up" on other fellow backpackers, in the "real" world, like what happens in here, SOMETIMES.

No but perhaps it would help if you did. Less shelter graffiti, less liter, less chatting aimlessly on the cell phone, less taking more than your fair share of space in shelters, less poor town behaviour, better hiker reputation for all.

Teacher & Snacktime
08-11-2013, 23:52

I can I can (hand up, arm stretched, leaning out of my desk)....the "burger" restaurant in Kent only lets hikers eat outside, and reluctantly at that. We chose another place. I understand it can get stinky, but I felt the rudeness was unnecessary. Most hikers know they stink (if they're showing up with pack, etc.) and would respond well if it were explained the mgmt "would prefer" etc.....as opposed to the "you have to go outside" that we received.

For what it's worth, we'd only been out for 2 days, mostly in the rain, and were not really hiker-stinky. But we had packs.

Overall I have to say that most of the town of Kent made us feel unwelcome. EXCEPT Annie at the Outfitters (Annie Bananie)....a woman so earnestly friendly and genuinely welcoming that she wouldn't hesitate for a moment to greet, hug, etc any hiker coming into her shop AND ice cream parlor.........stink or no, grime or no, hot, sweatiy, old lady with off-the-wall excited kid and grumpy autistic young man ...or no.

Driver8
08-12-2013, 00:41
You guys know me well!

It does push my buttons when I get the impression that hikers are all bad and the "entitled ones".

Understood. Don't think any of us likes that.

Here's my question, KD. Do you agree with my characterization that such negative stereotyping of hikers by trail townfolk is rare? If you do, I'd share with you, again, that I'm pretty philosophical about it. There are gonna be ppl who have bad steretypes about other groups of ppl, hikers included.

Do you think getting upset and exercised about those who don't like hikers is gonna solve the problem, or just get you upset? Some here, many, take a live and let live approach to such negativity. Shopkeepers, as the rest of us, have a right to be jerks and to treat ppl badly in their shops. If they do this to enough ppl, they'll go out of business. That's a pretty strong incentive not to be a jerk.

Supporting the right of shopkeepers to be jerks doesn't mean we like it when they are jerks. And encouraging better behavior among hikers, so hikers have a better reputation, here in this hiker forum, within our community, makes sense if you want ppl to have a better attitude toward hikers.

If it helps, KD, try thinking of it this way: it's a sort of accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative approach: think well of shop-keepers, send them good vibes and respect (as I'm sure you always do), and encourage fellow hikers to eliminate bad behaviors which might lead to bad impressions of our community. Does that make sense to you? Further, there are going to be those who have a more negative outlook on life, on themselves, on our community, within our community than you or I might like. Does it do any good, I ask you, to dwell on them, well, beingwrong in your eyes or maybe mine, or should we respect their right to their view of things and move on?

You can't convert someone who doesn't want to be converted - sometimes best to back off direct confrontation and lead by example. Patience is a virtue, no?

Driver8
08-12-2013, 00:45
Overall I have to say that most of the town of Kent made us feel unwelcome. EXCEPT Annie at the Outfitters (Annie Bananie)....a woman so earnestly friendly and genuinely welcoming that she wouldn't hesitate for a moment to greet, hug, etc any hiker coming into her shop AND ice cream parlor.........stink or no, grime or no, hot, sweatiy, old lady with off-the-wall excited kid and grumpy autistic young man ...or no.

T&S: Did you make it to the Fife n' Drum? If you had, you'd have a better attitude toward Kent, I'm sure of it. The IGA's quite good, too, in my experience. Sorry the town seems to have left such a bad impression with you - I've had good luck there and in Salisbury, both. Both are rich towns, probably the richest on the trail, but I've done OK with them. Better luck next time!

Teacher & Snacktime
08-12-2013, 00:54
We went to the IGA and it was fine, and I've cycled through Salisbury with no problem. I outlined in an earlier post in this thread what our biggest Kent problems were, so there's no point in dwelling on that. I'll go back some day to finish out CT section and plan to give the town another shot....no point in holding a municipal grudge!

CanadianEh
08-12-2013, 02:34
[/B]

I'M TIRED OF IT!!!!

Thanks HikerMom! You said it better than I could.

Honestly, as someone who hasn't hiked the AT yet but is planning to next year, I am getting worried about the attitudes being expressed in these threads. Am I supposed to accept, and even be thankful for, poor customer service just because I am a hiker? If I am a polite and paying customer why should I be treated as a "lesser than"?

This is going to be a huge once in a lifetime trip for my husband and me. We could just as easily spend 6 months in southeast Asia instead, or three months in Europe. But we love to hike. We really want to do the AT trail. I'm just not sure I want to be treated like an "undesirable" and receive crappy service just because we might be a bit smelly or carrying a pack.

Hopefully these threads are just an anaomoly and we (and our wallets) will welcomed in most businesses and treated like any other customer.

QHShowoman
08-12-2013, 06:37
I was born and raised in SW CT and Kent has always been known as a snooty, upper class town. Hikers aren't the only ones who get mistreated - anyone who looks like they're not going to drop a lot of dough on their overpriced antiques falls prey to the same treatment. Hikers (and motorcyclists) are just easy targets.

Drybones
08-12-2013, 08:17
T&S: Did you make it to the Fife n' Drum? If you had, you'd have a better attitude toward Kent, I'm sure of it. The IGA's quite good, too, in my experience. Sorry the town seems to have left such a bad impression with you - I've had good luck there and in Salisbury, both. Both are rich towns, probably the richest on the trail, but I've done OK with them. Better luck next time!

Unfortunately, it only takes a few rude people to give an entire area a bad rap. I was on a trip thru a state years ago and stopped maybe three times for gas and was exposed to what I'd call rude people, couldn't help but develop a bad opinion of the state even tho I knew all the folks aren't that way. Fortunately, the opposite can also happen, but we tend to remember the bad more than the good.

Tuckahoe
08-12-2013, 09:12

Here's my question, KD. Do you agree with my characterization that such negative stereotyping of hikers by trail townfolk is rare? If you do, I'd share with you, again, that I'm pretty philosophical about it. There are gonna be ppl who have bad steretypes about other groups of ppl, hikers included.

Do you think getting upset and exercised about those who don't like hikers is gonna solve the problem, or just get you upset? Some here, many, take a live and let live approach to such negativity. Shopkeepers, as the rest of us, have a right to be jerks and to treat ppl badly in their shops. If they do this to enough ppl, they'll go out of business. That's a pretty strong incentive not to be a jerk.

Supporting the right of shopkeepers to be jerks doesn't mean we like it when they are jerks. And encouraging better behavior among hikers, so hikers have a better reputation, here in this hiker forum, within our community, makes sense if you want ppl to have a better attitude toward hikers.

If it helps, KD, try thinking of it this way: it's a sort of accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative approach: think well of shop-keepers, send them good vibes and respect (as I'm sure you always do), and encourage fellow hikers to eliminate bad behaviors which might lead to bad impressions of our community. Does that make sense to you? Further, there are going to be those who have a more negative outlook on life, on themselves, on our community, within our community than you or I might like. Does it do any good, I ask you, to dwell on them, well, beingwrong in your eyes or maybe mine, or should we respect their right to their view of things and move on?

You can't convert someone who doesn't want to be converted - sometimes best to back off direct confrontation and lead by example. Patience is a virtue, no?

Well said, Driver8.

While I may wear funny clothes and work in a museum, I have always considered it a customer service oriented job. And like T&S going out of her way, and above and beyond, to be the polite customer, I do that on a daily basis as someone providing a service.

They way I tend to see it is that this is a AT hiking oriented forum, and by defult our discussions are and should be about hikers and hiker behavior. If we were a customer service oriented forum, I would expect the discussions to often center on how to work with difficult customers and to serve their needs, while solving their issues, using the "LAST" (listen, aknowledge, solve, thank) principal to maintain the sale.

We have plenty of power to police ourselves as hikers, but little power to change the bad behavior of those on the customer service side of the trail. But we certainly have the right to warn others about those that are truly providing bad service. But we in turn should not be overreacting nor be demanding of sevices (entitled) not always avaialble or provided.

To use the cell phone charging incident as an example again. It was very reasonable to ask that clerk if the cell phone could be charged. Not a thing wrong with that and nothing out of line or unreasonable about the request on the hikers part. In turn there was nothing wrong with the clerk saying no and saying no did not amount to rudeness nor bad customer service. What was pointed and many of us objected to was the offense taken at being told no, as though the hiker was infact entitled to have his phone charged.

Going above and beyond is not the norn, nor should it be. But it should be something we aspire to and praise those that do.

HikerMom58
08-12-2013, 12:12
No but perhaps it would help if you did. Less shelter graffiti, less liter, less chatting aimlessly on the cell phone, less taking more than your fair share of space in shelters, less poor town behaviour, better hiker reputation for all.

I would be all over it if it worked this way, Sly. Unfortunately, most of the time this approach, backfires. Most people aren't "teachable", even when they are not being "beat up". Most people go right into defense mode. They don't "hear" a word you say. I know that's true for me.

Rifle got pounded for shelter graffiti, he took some time away to think about it. Then, humbly came back and apologized. Even with all that, some people never forgave him nor gave any thought to his apology. His apology was rare, IMHO.

Most would have blown everyone off... fu???.... YUP!!

Beating people up is never the right approach, IMHO, with the hopes of helping someone make a behavior change.

Using tact, stating facts and staying far far away from personal attacks is the best approach. Telling someone how their behavior makes you and others feel is good, as well. The ole "I" messages work, for people that care. If they don't care?? There ain't nothing you can do.

HikerMom58
08-12-2013, 13:05

Shop keepers have a right to be jerks ( I agree, you can't control any other person's behavior but ur own.. I get it.) But, the reaction/reporting of it, that I've been seeing, is that fellow backpackers/hikers are coming down hard on the hikers & making them feel like jerks for complaining/warning others about the "jerks".

But it doesn't end there, some are in 2 defending shopkeepers & business owners to the point, in which, they are being proclaimed as incapable of ever doing wrong. (making a mistake- mistreating anyone, in any way shape or form)

Without fail, whenever anything negative is brought forth on this forum about treatment or behavior problems with business owners/shop keepers, someone (many) will blame the hiker, in some way for the problem... always.

My gosh, when KoKo started his thread others were telling him he shouldn't be carrying a cell phone that needed recharging. Really?? It went on and on.

Some were saying that he should have planned better and not let his battery get low. The "slamming"/questioning was never ending... It's like they were mad at him for not being totally self sufficient while hiking the trail (or any trail) or something. That's ridiculous!!

The truth is not one of us are self sufficient whether we are hiking the trail or not. We never will be... ever. That is all, "water under the bridge" for most all of us, today.

It reminds me of a woman reporting a rape and others putting the blame on her. Seriously, it has become that bad.

That's what I so tired of....

The hikers seem to be the ones that are portrayed as the jerks that provide nothing good for any business owners. Just headaches. I could/ and do come away, easily feeling this way, after reading comments on this site. (on this subject, in particular)

Looks like CanadianEh may have that same feeling too.

This something that needs to be talked about/addressed. I think, in the end, what I'm talking about is support, Drive8. There seems to be a lack of support for hikers experiencing problems with others on the trail. Where's the support???? There needs to be a balance. I don't feel like there is one, on here.

Teacher & Snacktime
08-12-2013, 15:26
NEWS ALERT: THIS WAS POSTED ON THE 2013 Thruhikers Facebook page this afternoon:

The laundromat in Kent CT now has a "Hikers not welcome" sign on the door. I was doing two loads of laundry there this morning, and discovered the toilet was clogged, so I alerted a staff member and asked if they had a plunger. Within minutes, the owner of the laundromat was going off on me, as if I was the problem. A couple of hours later, the sign went up. After her tantrum this morning, I would have recommended hikers boycott the place anyway. — at Kent Green (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kent-Green-Laundromat/451564644909188?ref=stream&directed_target_id=316316641744542&viewer_id=1456396085)

Lone Wolf
08-12-2013, 15:41
NEWS ALERT: THIS WAS POSTED ON THE 2012 Thruhikers Facebook page this afternoon:

The laundromat in Kent CT now has a "Hikers not welcome" sign on the door. I was doing two loads of laundry there this morning, and discovered the toilet was clogged, so I alerted a staff member and asked if they had a plunger. Within minutes, the owner of the laundromat was going off on me, as if I was the problem. A couple of hours later, the sign went up. After her tantrum this morning, I would have recommended hikers boycott the place anyway. at Kent Green (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kent-Green-Laundromat/451564644909188?ref=stream&directed_target_id=316316641744542&viewer_id=1456396085)
this is 2013. i just went to the facebook page but didn't see anything about this. pretty funny if it's true :)

max patch
08-12-2013, 15:44
Posted on the A.T. Guide on 8/8

I stopped by a church hostel this morning. The pastor asked me to add "no alcohol" to their listing in the book. Hikers who were staying there had drunk a case of beer in their parking lot and left the empties.

Teacher & Snacktime
08-12-2013, 15:45
https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/316316641744542/

I meant 2013....poor typing, sorry.....here's the post

max patch
08-12-2013, 15:47
Posted on Appalachian Trail Thru-Hikers Class of 2013 today.

For the past 20 years I have owned The Appalachian Trail House in Woodstock, VT. Today, I received an email from a respected friend hiking the AT and I want to share it; hopefully to be spread far and wide.

"Last night...(at the shelter there were) 4-5 drunk hikers. They were very loud and very obnoxious. "X" got up and asked them to move on. They impolitely refused and spent the next hour drinking more and continuing to be loud and obnoxious. Most of them finally turned in, but one of them cussed loudly throughout the night..."

It is things like this that will DESTROY the hiking experience for many. Finally, hikers who just TAKE...without GIVING anything back are becoming more common. FIND A WAY to contribute, to help, to be appreciative.

Daniel T. Quinn

coach lou
08-12-2013, 15:54
Marsha the Kent lady lurks here and has probably told the laundry folks ...'The Blaze' has been trashing them!:datz..................................:D

Pedaling Fool
08-12-2013, 16:16
I'm convinced most people, i.e. overwhelming number of people, are emotionally illiterate.

Sly
08-12-2013, 16:27
Using tact, stating facts and staying far far away from personal attacks is the best approach. Telling someone how their behavior makes you and others feel is good, as well. The ole "I" messages work, for people that care. If they don't care?? There ain't nothing you can do.

I could be wrong but it seems to me, many of the hikers that cause problems on the AT are too dense or too obtuse to use tact. What's the message to groups that get drunk in or on church hostel property?

max patch
08-12-2013, 16:33
NEWS ALERT: THIS WAS POSTED ON THE 2013 Thruhikers Facebook page this afternoon:

The laundromat in Kent CT now has a "Hikers not welcome" sign on the door

ALDHA should get a copy of this sign for use with the Endangered Services campaign.

Lone Wolf
08-12-2013, 16:35
ALDHA should get a copy of this sign for use with the Endangered Services campaign.

that "campaign" is just signs placed in hostels and such. it doesn't work

JustaTouron
08-12-2013, 17:51
I could be wrong but it seems to me, many of the hikers that cause problems on the AT are too dense or too obtuse to use tact. What's the message to groups that get drunk in or on church hostel property?

I hate to say this but... maybe the only solution, b/c sometimes other hikers are aware of the behavior while it is occurring and the serve provider only finds out about after the mess is left is to narc.

For many years I have participated in a large annual picnic gather that is next to the AT. And for many of those years we fed any hiker that came by (about 60-70, over 12 years). But we stopped in large part b/c of two hikers that we found the next day had spend an hour explaining to a half dozen 12-15 year olds the benefits of marijuana smoking and why it should be legalized, all while eating our food. And because of one hiker that tried to teach another of our teens how to get a fake id.

Yup, three hikers ruined it for a whole bunch of ya.

One poster in that thread said that if he was in our situation he would have called the local authorities given the two pot heads description and suggest that the local police search them. I really doubt the cops are going to do trail side stakeout to nail someone with a couple of joints. But it is difficult to believe another hiker talking to those idiots about what to and what not to discuss with the children of those providing trail magic would sink thru their dope clouded heads.

Maybe the way to handle things like the church hostel would have been for the hikers who saw it going on, to anonymously call the police and report the public open containers. Or call the pastor while it was going on.

Or maybe that is going to far and will only created animosity within the hiking community. I dunno.

Drybones
08-12-2013, 18:25

Hate to say it, but, it's not just the hiking community that's gone to hell, to be honest, you're probaby seeing the better portion of society on the trail.

Downhill Trucker
08-12-2013, 18:46
I had a bad experience with virtually every person and business I encountered in Kent 15 years ago. I had to wait 9 hours while my friend drove up from Baltimore to get me off the trail due to Lymes disease.

Sly
08-12-2013, 19:12
I hate to say this but... maybe the only solution, b/c sometimes other hikers are aware of the behavior while it is occurring and the serve provider only finds out about after the mess is left is to narc.

I can understand why you stopped your hiker feed, but I'm not sure the hikers were breaking any laws to get the police involved. Y'all seem to be taking extremes. From coddling hikers that can do no wrong to "ratting" on them and getting the police involved.

In a community such as the AT and long distance hiking, in no uncertain terms, peer pressure and ostracizing is a serious deterrent for poor behaviour.

JustaTouron
08-12-2013, 19:25
I can understand why you stopped your hiker feed, but I'm not sure the hikers were breaking any laws to get the police involved. Y'all seem to be taking extremes. From coddling hikers that can do no wrong to "ratting" on them and getting the police involved.

In a community such as the AT and long distance hiking, in no uncertain terms, peer pressure and ostracizing is a serious deterrent for poor behaviour.

As I said I dunno if that is the solution. We didn't call the police in our situation, didn't even think too. It was suggested here on whiteblaze years later.

But I don't know if ya'll doing enough of the peer pressuring and ostracizing. Granted I have never thru-hiked, but from reading things like the Barefoot sisters account of how no other hikers said anything when one guy brought his dog into a free hostel that didn't allow dogs and that dog then subsequently pooped in the children's room of the church. The other hikers weren't doing enough to police themselves.

HikerMom58
08-12-2013, 19:46
As I said I dunno if that is the solution. We didn't call the police in our situation, didn't even think too. It was suggested here on whiteblaze years later.

But I don't know if ya'll doing enough of the peer pressuring and ostracizing. Granted I have never thru-hiked, but from reading things like the Barefoot sisters account of how no other hikers said anything when a one guy brought his dog into free hostel that didn't allow dogs and that dog then subsequently pooped in the children's room of the church. The other hikers weren't doing enough to police themselves.

Oh boy!! :eek:

I don't think that hikers do a very good job of policing themselves. They don't like to call each other out, that much.. do they??

They are good about watching out for each other on the trail, at least that's the strong impression I got when I was out there, briefly. (my daughter as well when she was out for much longer time)

They all seem so happy to see each other too. I witnessed that a lot this year. I love it!!

I love hearing them call each other by their trail names and see them "reunite".. so heart warming!! I've witnessed a few "good-byes" on the trail too, equally as heart warming. :D

That's what drew me to the trail and the people that hike it... it's that instant bond/friendship that takes place between the hikers. I had never seen anything quite like it, before.....it makes me smile. :)

Wise Old Owl
08-12-2013, 20:06

The laundromat in Kent CT now has a "Hikers not welcome" sign on the door. I was doing two loads of laundry there this morning, and discovered the toilet was clogged, so I alerted a staff member and asked if they had a plunger. Within minutes, the owner of the laundromat was going off on me, as if I was the problem. A couple of hours later, the sign went up. After her tantrum this morning, I would have recommended hikers boycott the place anyway. — at Kent Green (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kent-Green-Laundromat/451564644909188?ref=stream&directed_target_id=316316641744542&viewer_id=1456396085)

If this is a public toilet the township can shut her down - just call the township drama will be over.... Just good karma...

HikerMom58
08-12-2013, 20:17
https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/316316641744542/

I meant 2013....poor typing, sorry.....here's the post

Oh my gosh T&S.. I'm just now seeing this. I don't know how I missed it!! WOW!!

HikerMom58
08-12-2013, 20:28
Ohhhh... Balimore Jack just saw the post...watch out, he's comin out swinging.

That's what I would expect but like I said on here there will always be one person that will still blame the hikers for this lady's bad behavior... that FB page is no exception ...grrrr!!! :mad:

She has no business pouring out her anger on innocent hikers...it's just not acceptable.

hikerboy57
08-12-2013, 20:39
so now the owners have made it clear hikers arent welcome, whats the next step here?boycott?
they could care less

hikerboy57
08-12-2013, 20:42
i get the feeling theyve posted on this thread using pseudonyms, to encourage a boycott.:confused:

probably went on white blaze, saw the thread and said"good idea"

HikerMom58
08-12-2013, 20:50
i get the feeling theyve posted on this thread using pseudonyms, to encourage a boycott.:confused:

Well, HB that would solve the problem for everyone then. If the "mat" owner would just be honest and say- I can't deal with AT hikers in my business, that's it. That would end the problem. :) Instead this horrible "relationship" continues... someone needs to "shoot" it. The "mat" or the hikers, doesn't really matter which one.

coach lou
08-12-2013, 20:51
maybe 5/6 years ago, I was reffing South Kent verses Kent Schools. Both Prep schools by the way. South Kent won a really terrific game. At the end, the Kent goalie takes a swing at a Southie skating by. The entire town was fighting within 2 minutes. Bodies flying every which way. It was awesome............they don't play anymore....duh!

For all you other map geeks....South Kent School is 1/2 mile through the intersection at Bulls Bridge, and you walk by Kent school on your way to the pseudo outfitters/ice cream store and Laundra Mat.:)

hikerboy57
08-12-2013, 20:54

Well, HB that would solve the problem for everyone then. If the "mat" owner would just be honest and say- I can't deal with AT hikers in my business, that's it. That would end the problem. :) Instead this horrible "relationship" continues... someone needs to "shoot" it. The "mat" or the hikers, doesn't really matter which one. seems like plenty of buttheads to go around

hikerboy57
08-12-2013, 21:03
well the mistake here is to think that many of these owners could care less about hikers money. it amounts to a tiny portion of their overall business. this applies everywhere on the trail but it is more apparent as you move north and the pack thins out.the hiker friendly businesses, for the most part arent friendly because the hikers are making them rich, theyre friendly simply because they are friendly, and they want to help.some are former hikers themselves, some are dreamers, some just "get it".many don't. in a perfect world, there would be mutual respect from and for everyone.that includes not judging people until youve put their shoes on and walked awhile in them.all we can do is work on ourselves and provide a good example.yin and yang. all good.

Lone Wolf
08-12-2013, 21:10
Ohhhh... Balimore Jack just saw the post...watch out, he's comin out swinging.

That's what I would expect but like I said on here there will always be one person that will still blame the hikers for this lady's bad behavior... that FB page is no exception ...grrrr!!! :mad:

She has no business pouring out her anger on innocent hikers...it's just not acceptable.

once again. you're clueless. you're a nice lady that gives out cookies to the nice hikers. live in a trail town for 1 season. i guarantee you'll feel different

HikerMom58
08-12-2013, 21:23
seems like plenty of buttheads to go around

I"m not aware of any hiker buttheads (doesn't mean there hasn't been any) but I'm fully aware of this "mat's" problem, thanks to this thread and the FB post, today.

I think that the difference between myself and maybe some others- I tend to think that hiker buttheads don't go out of their way, to start a thread complaining about business owners being rude to them etc... (they really don't give a rip)
I tend to believe that someone posting on WB is a "reasonable person", that really has had a problem with someone/business & is looking for support among hiking "friends" or just wants to put out a legitimate "warning" with the intent of being helpful to their hiking "friends". I, personally, really appreciate it. Don't judge.

That's why I cringe/feel sad/mad when others blow them off or insult/question etc... them for their efforts or their desire for support.

Teacher & Snacktime
08-12-2013, 21:23
LW....HikerMom is not talking about the big picture, but about this specific incident where a legitimately innocent hiker was treated unfairly. Don't be so quick to judge who does and doesn't have a clue, when none of us were there. No need to attack. We all get that hikers can be buttheads, but sometimes they're also nice people who get treated unfairly. If HM chooses to sympathize in this case, let her. DON'T BE A BUTTHEAD!!!!! ....and I'll try to not be one too.

Lone Wolf
08-12-2013, 21:26
LW....HikerMom is not talking about the big picture, but about this specific incident where a legitimately innocent hiker was treated unfairly. Don't be so quick to judge who does and doesn't have a clue, when none of us were there. No need to attack. We all get that hikers can be buttheads, but sometimes they're also nice people who get treated unfairly. If HM chooses to sympathize in this case, let her. DON'T BE A BUTTHEAD!!!!! ....and I'll try to not be one too.hikers ain't special and HM is no trail official. y'all need to grow sets:cool:

hikerboy57
08-12-2013, 21:29
I"m not aware of any hiker buttheads (doesn't mean there hasn't been any) but I'm fully aware of this "mat's" problem, thanks to this thread and the FB post, today.

I think that the difference between myself and maybe some others- I tend to think that hiker buttheads don't go out of their way, to start a thread complaining about business owners being rude to them etc... (they really don't give a rip)
I tend to believe that someone posting on WB is a "reasonable person", that really has had a problem with someone/business & is looking for support among hiking "friends" or just wants to put out a legitimate "warning" with the intent of being helpful to their hiking "friends". I, personally, really appreciate it. Don't judge.

That's why I cringe/feel sad/mad when others blow them off or insult/question etc... them for their efforts or their desire for support.
there were plenty of buttheads this spring when i was on the trail. plenty.

and im not judging. owners can be buttheads too. plenty of buttheads to go around.

Teacher & Snacktime
08-12-2013, 21:33
hikers ain't special and HM is no trail official. y'all need to grow sets:cool:

My "set" is fully formed and functional....I just choose to wield my power for good.

You don't need to be a trail official to recognize discourtesy. Substitute "hiker" for "person". Apply the same circumstance and then decide.

Jack Tarlin
08-12-2013, 21:35
Goodness, was gonna stay outta this one altogether, but when one is deliberately cited or pointed out by name, I think it's perfectly fair for that person to be permitted to respond......Whenever I see people on hiking Forums talking about who's mistreating or abusing hikers, or taking advantage of hikers, or whose behavior towards "innocent" hikers is "unacceptable".......well, this has been a recurrent theme here on WB recently, on several different threads. Without naming names or getting personal, I find this more than a little amusing, and I will make this one comment on this phenomena: The people who are the most eager and most likely to repeatedly comment about the alleged ill-treatment of hikers seem to have one thing in common: They seem to spend much more time on-line than they do actually hiking. One's perspective of the realities of the Trail might change with the addition of a backpack and some miles.

Lone Wolf
08-12-2013, 21:35
My "set" is fully formed and functional....I just choose to wield my power for good.

i do tons of "good". just not for entitled walkers on vacation

HikerMom58
08-12-2013, 21:37
well the mistake here is to think that many of these owners could care less about hikers money. it amounts to a tiny portion of their overall business. this applies everywhere on the trail but it is more apparent as you move north and the pack thins out.the hiker friendly businesses, for the most part arent friendly because the hikers are making them rich, theyre friendly simply because they are friendly, and they want to help.some are former hikers themselves, some are dreamers, some just "get it".many don't. in a perfect world, there would be mutual respect from and for everyone.that includes not judging people until youve put their shoes on and walked awhile in them.all we can do is work on ourselves and provide a good example.yin and yang. all good.

Hummm... interesting thoughts, HB. The outfitters in Daleville told me that thru-hikers account for 1/3 of their business every year.

I agree with you that business owners can be friendly only b/c the hikers are providing a living for them. Their true feelings can be very different from the ones they portray to everyone else. I believe they can despise hikers, deep inside. That "hatred" prob. happened over time. No doubt dealing with hikers that treated them with disrespect & outright malice helped bring them to that place. That's really sad. :( In a perfect world......ur right!!

hikerboy57
08-12-2013, 21:39
Hummm... interesting thoughts, HB. The outfitters in Daleville told me that thru-hikers account for 1/3 of their business every year.

I agree with you that business owners can be friendly only b/c the hikers are providing a living for them. Their true feelings can be very different from the ones they portray to everyone else. I believe they can despise hikers, deep inside. That "hatred" prob. happened over time. No doubt dealing with hikers that treated them with disrespect & outright malice helped bring them to that place. That's really sad. :( In a perfect world......ur right!!those are outfitters. its their job to cater to hikers.and for the most part, outfitters "get it".but theyre not gonna go out of their way for buttheads either

Teacher & Snacktime
08-12-2013, 21:41
Ok....you know what....I suspect you do in fact do a lot of good for a lot of people. I'm glad (though I am a little sorry you totally missed my point). I don't understand the outward contempt for hikers, for your own, but I suspect that there's some history there that justifies it to you. Either way, I'm going to ignore your mood and stick to the lighter stuff, since I come here for recreation and friendliness and not to feed the grumps.

I really do look forward to seeing you this fall, and thanks for the info on the creeper trail. :)

OOPS...forgot the quote....this was for Lone Wolf.

JustaTouron
08-12-2013, 21:46

I am sure there are a few business, such as outfitter, cheap lodging or shuttle providers, in which AT thru hikers make up a noticeable portion of their business. However, for a laundromat, restaurant, or grocery store it going to be very small.

HikerMom58
08-12-2013, 21:48
i do tons of "good". just not for entitled walkers on vacation

I know LW... we've heard all about walkers on vacation. You did your "good deeds" for people that really needed it.

I'm just a packsniffer who is needy myself and use the hikers for my own "good" feelings. Got ya!! ;)

Hikers don't need anything from anyone! We just need to stop all this "fuss". Hikers are all rotten to the core. They are just one big party up the trail. I'm sure more will come to me .... oh dear!! :p

HikerMom58
08-12-2013, 21:52
I am sure there are a few business, such as outfitter, cheap lodging or shuttle providers, in which AT thru hikers make up a noticeable portion of their business. However, for a laundromat, restaurant, or grocery store it going to be very small.

I agree.. prob some businesses, like a laundromat or hotel might loose a lil money when they provide their services, to hikers, since the "clean up" might end up costing them more than they expected.

Lone Wolf
08-12-2013, 21:54
I know LW... we've heard all about walkers on vacation. You did your "good deeds" for people that really needed it.

I'm just a packsniffer who is needy myself and use the hikers for my own "good" feelings. Got ya!! ;)

i do good things for folks in my community not for hikers. they need nothing. and yeah, you really are a packsniffer. you're a great woman, focus on the truly needy

Teacher & Snacktime
08-12-2013, 21:55
FWIW...the Country Mart in Bull's Bridge is great....uber friendly.

rickb
08-12-2013, 22:17
Why is there a laundromat in Kent anyway?

A dry cleaner I'd understand.

Next thing you know they wil have an Autozone and a tattoo parlor.

JustaTouron
08-12-2013, 22:25
I agree.. prob some businesses, like a laundromat or hotel might loose a lil money when they provide their services, to hikers, since the "clean up" might end up costing them more than they expected.

That probably isn't the biggest issue. I dare say it is the impact on other customers. Lets say you (having a car) have the choice of going to one of two pizza places. Both are equal in all regards, except in one of them half the time you go there one or or more of the customers smells so bad you want to puke. You going to go to the pizza place with or without the smelly hikers? Yeah, me too. So are all the other people in town who want pizza,and being hikers don't generate enough revenue the place loses money.

atmilkman
08-12-2013, 22:31
How about a Harley-Davidson dealership.

Rasty
08-12-2013, 22:46
Anyone get the feeling that this load is done and we forgot the fabric softener?

HikerMom58
08-12-2013, 22:55
That probably isn't the biggest issue. I dare say it is the impact on other customers. Lets say you (having a car) have the choice of going to one of two pizza places. Both are equal in all regards, except in one of them half the time you go there one or or more of the customers smells so bad you want to puke. You going to go to the pizza place with or without the smelly hikers? Yeah, me too. So are all the other people in town who want pizza,and being hikers don't generate enough revenue the place loses money.

Maybe your right JustaTouron... I can vouch for that actually. I, myself, when I was not hiking, did not choose to stay in a motel where I knew all the hikers stay in just b/c I didn't want to stay in a room with "hiker funk". LOL. When I'm hiking, I don't care about it but when I'm not, I do. :D

Just a side note... I don't mind hiker funk, usually. But there was one time I was talking to some hikers while they were waiting for a shuttle. I had all I could do not to plug my nose. I kept moving further and further away from them. I really feel like I would have puked if I had to get any closer. :eek: They were really nice to talk with too. :p

HikerMom58
08-12-2013, 22:57
i do good things for folks in my community not for hikers. they need nothing. and yeah, you really are a packsniffer. you're a great woman, focus on the truly needy

I read the- you're a great woman part, LW.. I'll forget the rest! ;) Love you LW!! :sun

coach lou
08-12-2013, 23:02

Kent has 2 pizza places....they are both dumps, so hikers shouldn't have a problem.

Sarcasm the elf
08-12-2013, 23:05
This might be a good time for me to remind everyone that there is a newly opened hostel called Bearded Woods located just north of Kent in Sharon Connecticut. I haven't stayed there myself but I've heard good things about it and I've been told that they offer laundry service.

HikerMom58
08-12-2013, 23:06
LW....HikerMom is not talking about the big picture, but about this specific incident where a legitimately innocent hiker was treated unfairly. Don't be so quick to judge who does and doesn't have a clue, when none of us were there. No need to attack. We all get that hikers can be buttheads, but sometimes they're also nice people who get treated unfairly. If HM chooses to sympathize in this case, let her. DON'T BE A BUTTHEAD!!!!! ....and I'll try to not be one too.

Thanks T&S... you understood where I was coming from. :)

For some reason, this is really cracking me up... LOL!!

hikers ain't special and HM is no trail official. y'all need to grow sets:cool:

Like we can, T&S!! LOL!! I can't stop laughing!! :p

HM is no trail official... :sun That is going on my sig too.... I love it! Goodnight y'all. :)

HikerMom58
08-13-2013, 09:23
https://sphotos-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/p480x480/1157576_208131709310830_347159850_n.jpg

This hiker is doing it all RIGHT!! ;)

greenmtnboy
08-13-2013, 10:23
I spoke with the hiker this morning who yesterday was treated abusively by the laundromat manager. The attorney general of the state of Connecticut was contacted and they are referring the matter to the human rights commission: http://www.ct.gov/chro/site/default.asp

There are lots of ways to bring light to businesses that abuse consumers, both through consumer rights and political action organizations.

HikerMom58
08-13-2013, 10:37
I spoke with the hiker this morning who yesterday was treated abusively by the laundromat manager. The attorney general of the state of Connecticut was contacted and they are referring the matter to the human rights commission: http://www.ct.gov/chro/site/default.asp

There are lots of ways to bring light to businesses that abuse consumers, both through consumer rights and political action organizations.

Good to know greenmtnboy... They shouldn't treat people like this and get away with it. Where's Driver8???? ;)

Sarcasm the elf
08-13-2013, 10:52

You and I have very different ideas of how the world should work. What exactly are you hoping to accomplish by trying to get the state involved? I dont think that there has been any violation of law and this will only serve to give the proprietor more reason to hate hikers.

Have you stopped to think what is going to happen when other local businesses get word that disgruntled hikers are making complaints to state officials against local businesses? Do you really think that is going to make trail towns act more welcoming towards backpackers?

You had to deal with someone that was a jerk, boycott them and be done with it. Just be grateful that you only had to deal with this lady's bad mood once, she has to deal with herself every day if her life.

capehiker
08-13-2013, 10:56
What human rights are being denied?

max patch
08-13-2013, 11:00

oy vey

capehiker
08-13-2013, 11:02
Good to know greenmtnboy... They shouldn't treat people like this and get away with it. Where's Driver8???? ;)

Well, there's Yelp and a whole host of reviewing sites and media out there. You wanna get the point across, an Internet smear campaign can work if done properly.

BUT...going to a Human Rights commission is getting a little too theatrical.

max patch
08-13-2013, 11:03
Give Jesse Jackson a call while you're at it.

Teacher & Snacktime
08-13-2013, 11:10
https://sphotos-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/p480x480/1157576_208131709310830_347159850_n.jpg

This hiker is doing it all RIGHT!! ;)

Yeah, but that bucket is anything but UL !!!

HikerMom58
08-13-2013, 11:13
Well, there's Yelp and a whole host of reviewing sites and media out there. You wanna get the point across, an Internet smear campaign can work if done properly.

BUT...going to a Human Rights commission is getting a little too theatrical.

Okay.... I hear you. So let me ask you this..... If this "lady" put up the sign- AT hikers not welcome here. Then, when questioned about her sign, she gave "reasonable" reasons for not wanting them to use her business. Is that legal?? Can a business do that??? I would love to see her do that, if it's legal, then to continue on with what's she's doing now.

max patch
08-13-2013, 11:15
A Million Man (oops) A Million Hiker March on Kent would make the network news and blow up the internet.

Rasty
08-13-2013, 11:16
What human rights are being denied?

None. The state is required to take the complaint. It gets filed away.

atmilkman
08-13-2013, 11:26
Do you really think that is going to make trail towns act more welcoming towards backpackers?

Does Kent, CT have the designation as a trail town such as Damascus and Hot Springs and some of the others? Is there a list of these towns?

Sarcasm the elf
08-13-2013, 11:32
Does Kent, CT have the designation as a trail town such as Damascus and Hot Springs and some of the others? Is there a list of these towns?

A trail town (for the purpose of my comment) is any town near the trail that hikers frequent because they have goods and services that we need. It should be kept in mind that We need them more than they need us. Damascus and hot springs simply pride themselves in providing this.

lava
08-13-2013, 11:43

A trail town (for the purpose of my comment) is any town near the trail that hikers frequent because they have goods and services that we need. It should be kept in mind that We need them more than they need us. Damascus and hot springs simply pride themselves in providing this.

I believe atmilkman is referring to an Appalachian Trail Community(TM). There is a list here (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/what-we-do/community-engagement/appalachian-trail-communities)

Wise Old Owl
08-13-2013, 12:01
its a crummy laundromat... not worthy of 16,000 views.. or 11 pages.

HikerMom58
08-13-2013, 12:02

I don't know, Elf, if your statement is true. How do you know, for a fact, that everyone providing goods and services to hikers don't need the hikers as a source of income just as much as the hikers need their goods and services?? Have you talked to everyone (businesses) up and down the trail to know this is true???

I wonder if business people could give us their opinion on this.

Also, Alligator warned us to be very careful not to give false reviews of businesses because they depend on hikers for at least part of their income. Curtis, at Standing Bear, was very concerned about the "sickness" affecting his business... They need the hikers to make at least part of their living, it appears. How do you know just how much they depend on what they "make", off of hikers???

I wonder how well the Blue Blaze Cafe, in Damascus, would do, if they couldn't count on any hiker revenue at all??

Teacher & Snacktime
08-13-2013, 12:04
its a crummy laundromat... not worthy of 16,000 views.. or 11 pages.

at this point I don't thing the laudromat is actually the issue.....

rickb
08-13-2013, 12:14

While I agree with others that think such a report was over the top, I am not sure some of the dismissive comments directed your way were in order.

My guess is that many of us still think that the strictly defined definitions of protected classes we first learned about decades ago will endure without change. Your state just passed legislation to protect the rights of the homeless in public accommodations (not sure how that will be defined) for example. If your governor signes the bill in October as expected, who knows how the landscape will change in years to come.

Here is a link to the article.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/06/12/2139181/connecticut-homeless/

That said, sometimes it is better to just suck it up and realize our travails as children of privilege are pretty minor. That is why they invented the words **** You and the middle finger.

Two Speed
08-13-2013, 12:22
This might be a good time for me to remind everyone that there is a newly opened hostel called Bearded Woods located just north of Kent in Sharon Connecticut. I haven't stayed there myself but I've heard good things about it and I've been told that they offer laundry service.Are you suggesting that instead of indulging in a boat load of internet drama hikers could go to the hostel, clean up, do laundry and enjoy the town without any hassle?

Heretic!!!

HikerMom58
08-13-2013, 12:23
I'm just going to put it out there...

It would be interesting to see how many businesses in trail towns & otherwise would have a closed sign on their door, if the Appalachian trail was to "shut down" and not allow any one to hike it.

Common sense tells me that there would be a lot of people "in a world of hurt" financially if that were to happen.

Teacher & Snacktime
08-13-2013, 12:28

It would be interesting to see how many businesses in trail towns & otherwise would have a closed sign on their door, if the Appalachian trail was to "shut down" and not allow any one to hike it.

Common sense tells me that there would be a lot of people "in a world of hurt" financially if that were to happen.

I agree and disagree....it certainly depends on the location of the business. Kent doesn't need hikers, but from what I've read, other areas of the trail definitely do. WHO ELSE would be willing to put up with the conditions at the Doyle? And many part-time shuttlers/hostel owners, etc, while not completely dependent on hiker income, certainly are helped by the supplement.

(every time I make a post like this, I fully expect someone to retort "who cares what you think"....thank you for your restraint)

Tuckahoe
08-13-2013, 12:36
Hikermom how much money do you think thru-hikers pump into the local economy of a trail town?

In the book On the Beaten Path estimates that thrus put in about 7 million dollars and if you accept that there are 3000 that start a thru on at least 3000 dollars, that figure may top out at 9 million or lets go as high as 12. Spread along 2k miles with the higher concentration in the south, that really is not much money.

How many of those hiker oriented businesses are dumps because the don't generate enough money?

JustaTouron
08-13-2013, 12:38

First off, completely shutting down the AT would have a bigger impact than just ending thru hiking. The AMC huts would do fine without thruhikers. Without the trail not so much.

I am sure if would have a devastating affect on some outfitters particularly those in the south. It would also harm the business model of Ron Haven and other low cost lodging facilities. Church Hostels would go out of business, but those tend to be non-profit or lose money for the sponsor anyway. Most laundromats, restaurants and grocery stores would hardly notice.

Sarcasm the elf
08-13-2013, 12:39
I don't know, Elf, if your statement is true. How do you know, for a fact, that everyone providing goods and services to hikers don't need the hikers as a source of income just as much as the hikers need their goods and services?? Have you talked to everyone (businesses) up and down the trail to know this is true???

I wonder if business people could give us their opinion on this.

Also, Alligator warned us to be very careful not to give false reviews of businesses because they depend on hikers for at least part of their income. Curtis, at Standing Bear, was very concerned about the "sickness" affecting his business... They need the hikers to make at least part of their living, it appears. How do you know just how much they depend on what they "make", off of hikers???

I wonder how well the Blue Blaze Cafe, in Damascus, would do, if they couldn't count on any hiker revenue at all??

Pleas don't put words in my mouth.

My comment is below and it is a is well established fact that is not up for debate.

It should be kept in mind that We need them more than they need us. Damascus and hot springs simply pride themselves in providing this

I did not say that you couldn't find a single business that relies primarily on hikers (and I'm not sure how you managed to twist my statement into that assumption.), but overall we have a small and largely season effect on the towns that are close to the trail. It is wise to remember that.

HikerMom58
08-13-2013, 12:39
I agree and disagree....it certainly depends on the location of the business. Kent doesn't need hikers, but from what I've read, other areas of the trail definitely do. WHO ELSE would be willing to put up with the conditions at the Doyle? And many part-time shuttlers/hostel owners, etc, while not completely dependent on hiker income, certainly are helped by the supplement.

(every time I make a post like this, I fully expect someone to retort "who cares what you think"....thank you for your restraint)

There's nothing wrong with expressing your opinion. :)
I agree with you that not all businesses would not be able to stay in business. They don't rely that heavily on hiker revenue... AND, I will also go on to say that maybe places, like this "mat", would do better without the hikers business.

BirdBrain
08-13-2013, 12:44
Ya', but do the serve pie?

JustaTouron
08-13-2013, 12:49
Hikermom how much money do you think thru-hikers pump into the local economy of a trail town?

In the book On the Beaten Path estimates that thrus put in about 7 million dollars and if you accept that there are 3000 that start a thru on at least 3000 dollars, that figure may top out at 9 million or lets go as high as 12. Spread along 2k miles with the higher concentration in the south, that really is not much money.

How many of those hiker oriented businesses are dumps because the don't generate enough money?

Next question, how much of that $9-$12 million dollars is spent on increased need for sanitation service, police services, ambulances services, fire services, repair of vandalism, etc that would not be needed if it wasn't for thruhikers.

HikerMom58
08-13-2013, 12:51
Pleas don't put words in my mouth.

My comment is below and it is a is well established fact that is not up for debate.

I did not say that you couldn't find a single business that relies primarily on hikers (and I'm not sure how you managed to twist my statement into that assumption.), but overall we have a small and largely season effect on the towns that are close to the trail. It is wise to remember that.

I just took what you said at face value.. you said that.... "We need them more than they need us". (for goods and services) You didn't make any exceptions, I believe there are.

I still don't know how you can say that it is a well established fact, Elf.

I can believe that some businesses put a lot more time and energy into the "work" than what they get out of it, financially. Are you trying to say it's more a labor or love??? I can agree with that, for sure.

If you take the outfitters in Daleville for an example. They said that 1/3 of their income comes from hikers, in a year. If that income was taken away could they survive???

I was just wondering how many businesses up and down the trail, just like the outfitters here in Daleville, wouldn't be able to make it.

Drybones
08-13-2013, 12:54

Other than the help, I was the only person in the house when I ate there this spring.

Pedaling Fool
08-13-2013, 13:46
Freakin' human rights...W.T.F...Some people are just so pathetic...Some people here think just because a business is in business that the employees are modern-day slaves. I know you all will :rolleyes: at that comment, but that's only because you don't know how to be honest with yourselves...So freakin' pathetic...

Teacher & Snacktime
08-13-2013, 13:48
Ya', but do the serve pie?

Pie heals all wounds........... (:bananaespecially banana cream pie!)

HikerMom58
08-13-2013, 14:04
Freakin' human rights...W.T.F...Some people are just so pathetic...Some people here think just because a business is in business that the employees are modern-day slaves. I know you all will :rolleyes: at that comment, but that's only because you don't know how to be honest with yourselves...So freakin' pathetic...

Okay, so what you are saying is... businesses are AWAYS on the up and up. The only ones that want to screw anyone over are the patrons that believe they should be "catered too" by businesses.

No one should report any kind of "abuse" b/c that just doesn't happen. You can't understand why we need a Better Business Bureau?? It's not possible for any business not to provide services that are less than satisfactory?? OR treat paying customers with respect.

I don't want to put words in your mouth or twist your words but that's how your post came across to me... just sayin...

hikerboy57
08-13-2013, 14:06
Okay, so what you are saying is... businesses are AWAYS on the up and up. The only ones that want to screw anyone over are the patrons that believe they should be "catered too" by businesses.

No one should report any kind of "abuse" b/c that just doesn't happen. You can't understand why we need a Better Business Bureau?? It's not possible for any business not to provide services that are less than satisfactory?? OR treat paying customers with respect.

I don't want to put words in your mouth or twist your words but that's how your post came across to me... just sayin...i dont think the bbb covers abuse.i wonder if there is a nice govt agency that covers abused business owners.
ive been in sales for over 30 years, and the customer is not ​ always right. ive thrown out more than a few customers who were abusive to both me and my staff

to whom does an abused business owner complain?

Tuckahoe
08-13-2013, 14:18

You're not going all John Galt on us now are ya? :p

Teacher & Snacktime
08-13-2013, 14:19
An abused business owner can contact the local police if customers get out of hand. They will be removed, and possibly detained based on the infraction. But unless there is assault, fraud, etc., the customer can only leave....which they should logically do if there's a problem.

This doesn't solve any dispute...just info.

Pedaling Fool
08-13-2013, 14:20

I don't want to put words in your mouth or twist your words but that's how your post came across to me... just sayin...

I'm not posting anymore on this stupid thread. I just can't relay to you how much it makes my blood boil, will just ignore if for now on, because we are just going to end up disagreeing. It's all been said before.

These entitlement issues are going to make my head blow up, so I'm outta here.

Teacher & Snacktime
08-13-2013, 14:21
You're not going all John Galt on us now are ya? :p

You can't see this, but I'm shrugging.

hikerboy57
08-13-2013, 14:22
An abused business owner can contact the local police if customers get out of hand. They will be removed, and possibly detained based on the infraction. But unless there is assault, fraud, etc., the customer can only leave....which they should logically do if there's a problem.

This doesn't solve any dispute...just info. I'm not talking about physical abuse I'm talking about verbal abuse

Tuckahoe
08-13-2013, 14:23
Im not putting words in PF's mouth, but I take it to mean that all to often some slights just do not arise to the need for intervention of some nanny state. So at times ya just gotta "suck it up cupcake" and deal with it. Not everything requires a protest or boycott or some sort of punitive action.

Teacher & Snacktime
08-13-2013, 14:25
I'm not talking about physical abuse I'm talking about verbal abuse

Verbal abuse can still be considered assault.....but again, the "walk away" almost always works.

hikerboy57
08-13-2013, 14:26
Im not putting words in PF's mouth, but I take it to mean that all to often some slights just do not arise to the need for intervention of some nanny state. So at times ya just gotta "suck it up cupcake" and deal with it. Not everything requires a protest or boycott or some sort of punitive action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNwbjcuQUv8

Sly
08-13-2013, 14:28

those are outfitters. its their job to cater to hikers.and for the most part, outfitters "get it".but theyre not gonna go out of their way for buttheads either

Let's see, about 500-1000 "thru-hikers' make it to Daleville each year. Maybe half of those make it to the outfitter, and half of them actually spend money. That's a thin margin.

I used to run a bar. We catered to drinkers, and refused service to drunks.

Teacher & Snacktime
08-13-2013, 14:29

I always took Seinfeld too seriously, and subsequently never got the humor. For the life of me I couldn't imagine wanting to go to this guy's place.....make your own soup and to hell with him!.......again, took it WAY to seriously....I've grown up since then (I think).

Teacher & Snacktime
08-13-2013, 14:32
Verbal abuse can still be considered assault.....but again, the "walk away" almost always works.

Can't.....control.....pun and.....silliness.....urge......

(Assault is threatening, battery is physical).... I prefer the terms a-salt and a-pepper....especially good is a-pepper-spray.....(and it compliments bland mashed taters well since you're not welcome in the restaurant and will be cooking on the trail! hehe)

Jeff
08-13-2013, 14:36
This might be a good time for me to remind everyone that there is a newly opened hostel called Bearded Woods located just north of Kent in Sharon Connecticut. I haven't stayed there myself but I've heard good things about it and I've been told that they offer laundry service.

A wonderful, hiker friendly lodging establishment in Connecticut. Hudson and Big Lu will slack or support you any way you need thru most of their state.

Teacher & Snacktime
08-13-2013, 14:37
A wonderful, hiker friendly lodging establishment in Connecticut. Hudson and Big Lu will slack or support you any way you need thru most of their state.

I've read and heard great things.

hikerboy57
08-13-2013, 14:37
its human psychology that people always will desire what they cant have. in sales we call it the takeaway close.
as far as attitude, some stores will always be clueless. years ago i sold mens clothing in a retail boutique, carried exclusive brands like armani, hugo boss, zegna, etc.
on my day off i "mystry shopped" a competitors store, weraing jeans and a t shirt. i was the only person in the store, except for 3 salespeople and a man behind the front desk. noone said hello to me as i tried on jackets,pulled out sweaters,etc. while the salespeople checked themselves out in the mrrors, admiring how great they looked.after about 20 minutes of none approaching me to ask if i needed any help, i went to leave, when the man behind the desk asked if he could help me find what it was i was looking for. i replied i was looking for a saleperson but you dont have any here.he asked what i meant, and i confessed i wasnt there to buy, but to see how they handled their own clientele, that i had been thre for over 20 minutes without a single person saying hello. i told him if i were him, i would fire all 3 of them.
im not defending all businesses, but please stop defending all hikers.
plenty of buttheads to go around.

hikerboy57
08-13-2013, 14:39
its human psychology that people always will desire what they cant have. in sales we call it the takeaway close.
as far as attitude, some stores will always be clueless. years ago i sold mens clothing in a retail boutique, carried exclusive brands like armani, hugo boss, zegna, etc.
on my day off i "mystry shopped" a competitors store, weraing jeans and a t shirt. i was the only person in the store, except for 3 salespeople and a man behind the front desk. noone said hello to me as i tried on jackets,pulled out sweaters,etc. while the salespeople checked themselves out in the mrrors, admiring how great they looked.after about 20 minutes of none approaching me to ask if i needed any help, i went to leave, when the man behind the desk asked if he could help me find what it was i was looking for. i replied i was looking for a saleperson but you dont have any here.he asked what i meant, and i confessed i wasnt there to buy, but to see how they handled their own clientele, that i had been thre for over 20 minutes without a single person saying hello. i told him if i were him, i would fire all 3 of them.
im not defending all businesses, but please stop defending all hikers.
plenty of buttheads to go around.
the store is now out of business.didnt need to call the bbb.

Teacher & Snacktime
08-13-2013, 14:43
There have been several attempts or pleas to shut this down. Of course it's going nowhere. If a WB threat had any power, small portions of Kent would be smoldering embers left from the cyber-nuclear blast. Alas, we wield no such power.

Therefore, I suggest we all cool our jets and senses of mistreatment and turn this discussion toward a much-less controversial topic: How does everyone feel about TRAIL MAGIC ?!?!?! :bse:bse:bse:bse:bse

max patch
08-13-2013, 14:48
I wonder if there is a laudromat forum and right now they are talking about WB the same way WB is talking about them. Maybe they will band together and every laundromat in the trail corridor will ban hikers.

JustaTouron
08-13-2013, 14:56
I wonder if there is a laudromat forum and right now they are talking about WB the same way WB is talking about them. Maybe they will band together and every laundromat in the trail corridor will ban hikers.

Yes, there is a laundromat forum....

http://www.planetlaundry.com/forum/

Search of whiteblaze yields nothing.

But this guy does not like naked AT hikers.
http://www.planetlaundry.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37749&postcount=10

max patch
08-13-2013, 15:01
But this guy does not like naked AT hikers.
http://www.planetlaundry.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37749&postcount=10

Didya notice that he is from CT? :)

Drybones
08-13-2013, 15:08
There have been several attempts or pleas to shut this down. Of course it's going nowhere. If a WB threat had any power, small portions of Kent would be smoldering embers left from the cyber-nuclear blast. Alas, we wield no such power.

Therefore, I suggest we all cool our jets and senses of mistreatment and turn this discussion toward a much-less controversial topic: How does everyone feel about TRAIL MAGIC ?!?!?! :bse:bse:bse:bse:bse

A pick up truck with a washer/dryer and a generator would be nice at Tray Gap....to go with the cheeseburgers of course.

JustaTouron
08-13-2013, 15:08
Didya notice that he is from CT? :)

Actually its a she, and she owns the Kent Green.

http://www.planetlaundry.com/node/941

HikerMom58
08-13-2013, 15:12
I'm outta here too.

1. I'm not defending all hikers.

2. Like T&S said, I do believe that this entire complaint against this laundry mat was made by non offending, "innocent" hikers.
3. I will say again. I do not believe for 1 minute that hikers in the past, present or future have/will treat this business property or their employees with respect OR just the fact that "dirty hikers" coming in, is a huge turn off to everyone concerned. Common sense tells me that there's got to be a valid reason for this animosity. It's understandable.

What is so hard about saying- Wow... I'm sorry that this "lady" is treating "one of our own" in a rude manner.
We can reason with each other and say, there is a good reason why she feels the way she does.
I'm not saying that she should be "reported".

I like the suggestions of ones that suggested posting review on Yelp.
I'm a fan of someone posting their bad experience on WB.
I like the idea of talking it out and moving on.
HB, I know that the BBB doesn't need to be alerted about this. They have nothing to say about this.. I know. I wasn't suggesting that at all. I just used them to make a point.

Lastly, I believe that businesses and hikers, on the trail corridor, all need each other. Not all businesses need the hikers but I'd be curious to know how many do... that is all.

hikerboy57
08-13-2013, 15:15
this has become a circular argument.

my work is done here.

Teacher & Snacktime
08-13-2013, 15:16
A pick up truck with a washer/dryer and a generator would be nice at Tray Gap....to go with the cheeseburgers of course.

Weeeeeelllll, Snacktime and I tend to be a little more modest than that in our magic.....how about soda, chips, water, a magic bag, and a bucket with tide?