PDA

View Full Version : Glencliff to Pinkham NH advice needed

angus34
07-15-2011, 20:26
I need some help with planning the hike from Glencliff to Pinkham Notch. This is a charity hike which started in Georgia and now my leg of the hike is approaching in mid-August. We are new to hiking but in good physical condition (I'm used to wearing 20lbs of gear while working). Any input or suggested changes is welcome. I know this is a very difficult section to hike but someone had to do it...

Day 1- Glencliff to Beaver Brook (8 miles)
Day 2- to Kinsman Pond (13 miles)
Day 3- Franconia to get supplies then onto Greenleaf (total 12 miles)
Day 4- to Guyot (10 miles)
Day 5- to Crawford Notch, re-supply (12 miles)
Day 6- to Nauman Tentsite (6 miles)
Day 7- to Tuckerman Trl leading to Hermit Lake (9 miles)
Day 8- finish Pinkham Notch

We have a 9th day if needed...
I have a couple maps and guide books that helped me plot this course. I've already been told Day 3 is too much so I'm trying to adjust. Thanks for the help

tdoczi
07-15-2011, 20:32
you can do the 17 miles to eliza brook shelter the first day, then down to lonesome lake and thereby shorten day 3. the real hairy stuff doesnt start until past eliza brook shelter.

Sly
07-15-2011, 20:42
I think your schedule looks good, but I don't believe you want to do a 17 mile day, first day out. You may consider only resupplying in Barlett as it basically splits your section. You may also need that extra time on day 3.

MamaBear
07-16-2011, 08:18
Just a heads up for you, a portion of the Tuckerman Ravine Trail will be closed for the next 4 to 5 weeks while the AMC's professional trail crew works on a steep portion of the headwall between Hermit Lake Shelter and Alpine Garden. Keep an eye on the AMC's website for updates so that you can adjust your route if necessary. I'm not sure that they have set an exact end date for the project or that you'll even be there at the same time, but it is worth checking.

Here's a link to AMC's announcement on one of their websites:

http://news.outdoors.org/

rdljr
07-16-2011, 08:27
Think about adding 2 miles to day 2 and stay at Lonesome Lake hut. That would cut 2 miles off of day 3 and 2 meals off your pack weight. Then stay at Galehead hut instead of Guyot, saves another 2 meals. This will add 3 miles to day 5 but it will be when your pack is lightest. The meals at the huts should allow you to skip the trip in to Franconia

burger
07-16-2011, 16:06
I did the Whites as a section hike a few years ago, and my itinerary was similar to yours. Contrary to the above suggestions, I would not add extra mileage to Day 2. The climb up South Kinsman is the hardest on the 1100 miles of trail that I've done. Also, Kinsman Pond is a lovely place to hang out in the evening--much nicer than Lonesome Lake.

Kerosene
07-16-2011, 17:20
I concur about Day 2. I found the walking to be very slow between Kinsman Notch and Eliza Brook Shelter due to the rocks, roots and mud; something you won't be used to if you do not backpack very often. The climb up South Kinsman is probably the hardest one I've done on my 1750 miles of the AT...and I was fresh early in the morning on a lovely day.

I did the 8 miles from Glencliff to Beaver Brook for my first day, which took me less than 4 hours despite having to wait out a thunderstorm before I passed over the summit. The 7.5 miles from Beaver Brook to Eliza Brook took me 7 elapsed hours -- the slowest pace I've ever had. In fact, I found my pace through the Whites to consistently be about 1.0 mph slower than I would typically expect.

See if you couldn't arrange to get into town from Kinsman Notch and start out early the morning of Day 2 to get to Lonesome Lake. If you're a hammocker I'm sure you could find a few good trees after the climb out of Kinsman Notch.

If you can't make Greenleaf on Day 3, which would be tough if you have to go into town to resupply, then you'll have to stay at Liberty Spring Tentsite near the end of what could be a long, hot climb up a river of boulders. From there I would do a 10.4 mile day to Galehead Hut, and if you're feeling good you can probably get to Guyot for the night. Regardless, the trail after The Twins (the mountain just to the north of Galehead Hut) is markedly easier all the way to Crawford Notch. I think Day 4 into Crawford Notch should be your big mileage day if anything.

Slo-go'en
07-16-2011, 21:33
Of course, if you plan to stay at any of the huts, you'll need reservations (and deep pockets). Mid August is still prime time up here, so good luck if you don't already have reservations. Spots can open up, but getting the days you want in the sequence you need can be a problem getting them at the last moment. Camp sites along that route fill up quickly, even mid week, so try to get there as early as possible to score a spot. Start early, hike fast! I drove by the main trail head for Madison hut today. The lot was full and cars were parked for a 1/2 mile along the road by the parking lot!

OldFeet
07-18-2011, 09:41
I concur about Day 2. I found the walking to be very slow between Kinsman Notch and Eliza Brook Shelter due to the rocks, roots and mud; something you won't be used to if you do not backpack very often. The climb up South Kinsman is probably the hardest one I've done on my 1750 miles of the AT...and I was fresh early in the morning on a lovely day.

I did the 8 miles from Glencliff to Beaver Brook for my first day, which took me less than 4 hours despite having to wait out a thunderstorm before I passed over the summit. The 7.5 miles from Beaver Brook to Eliza Brook took me 7 elapsed hours -- the slowest pace I've ever had. In fact, I found my pace through the Whites to consistently be about 1.0 mph slower than I would typically expect.

Kerosene

Curious here about the climb up South Kinsman. I'm thinking of a weekend hike from Kinsman Notch to Franconia and was just curious about the climb up South Kinsman. I know from the map it looks pretty steep and was just wondering how much scrambling it involves. Normally I average around 2 mph and expect this to be much slower.

Skid.
07-18-2011, 11:23
Camp sites along that route fill up quickly, even mid week, so try to get there as early as possible to score a spot. Start early, hike fast! I drove by the main trail head for Madison hut today. The lot was full and cars were parked for a 1/2 mile along the road by the parking lot!

I will be there next month & I have hut reservations, but my friend is taking a tent -- what happens when the huts have no room, and the camp sites are also full? Are there sites down off the trail, and if so, how far off? thanks.

Slo-go'en
07-18-2011, 12:23
I will be there next month & I have hut reservations, but my friend is taking a tent -- what happens when the huts have no room, and the camp sites are also full? Are there sites down off the trail, and if so, how far off? thanks.

There is no camping allowed within 1/4 mile of huts and offical camp sites. Tent sites are few and far between outside of the 1/4 mile limit, as much of the trail will be either above tree line (off limits to any camping), too steep, rocky and thick with dense pine tree growth. Any "legal" camp site (200 feet off the trail and away from water) will likely be very far from where you are or want to be.

If you arrive late and there isn't space for you, they are not very sympathetic to your plight, as they see it on almost a daily bases. You best have a good headlamp and enough energy to hike back down the mountian. Truely, a hammock gives you much better camping options then a tent does, but you'll likely have to be below 3500 feet to have trees big enough and far enough apart to use it.

DavidNH
07-18-2011, 12:48
ok couple quick comments. Beaverbrook shelter to Kinsman Pond Shelter is a very long very hard day. I would suggest you shorten it. The trail from beaver brook is very steep down and very slow. From Kinsman Notch to Kinsman Pond Shelter you are hiking over both south and north kinsman and then down to Kinsman Pond. You are probably looking at a 12 hour hiking day here.

Kisman Pond to Franconia to get supplies then on to Greenleaf. I presume you mean hike to notch, and hitch a ride for supplies then hitch back and climb to Greenleaf hut (not taking the AT over flume haystack, lincoln lafayette and down to greenleaf hut).

Greenleaf Hut to Guyot? you mean Guyot campsite? you want to hike over Lafayette, Garfield, South twin and then to Guyot shelter? do you have any idea what you are getting into here????

Kerosene
07-18-2011, 14:48
Kerosene

Curious here about the climb up South Kinsman. I'm thinking of a weekend hike from Kinsman Notch to Franconia and was just curious about the climb up South Kinsman. I know from the map it looks pretty steep and was just wondering how much scrambling it involves. Normally I average around 2 mph and expect this to be much slower.It's an impressive climb, about a mile if I recall, and while it wouldn't be classified as bouldering you will have to use your hands in a number of places. As I mentioned earlier, I'd plan for mileage rates through the Whites of about 1 mph slower than normal. Back then I averaged about 2.5 mph and consistently measured by progress between 1.25 and 1.75 mph, and I felt that I was in pretty good shape for a section hiker with a light pack who doesn't mind climbing.

Driver8
07-22-2011, 10:34
Angus:

I was just out there for a day hike and found it by far and away the hardest trail I've seen. Be very conservative in your estimates of the distance you can cover. Those rocks are very hard, they are relentless, and they are very uneven. You have to take quite a bit of care on the descents, which is a big mental strain, as a false step or a poorly placed foot, on about 80% of any stretch of descending trail you take is asking for a turned or broken ankle or blown-out knee. The Whites have the reputation they have for very good reason.

Do it, but give yourself large margins for error and plenty of time cushion. Good luck - I hope your trip is a success.