PDA

View Full Version : Hunting for a Picture

Saluki Dave
02-07-2005, 13:46
I seem to recall seeing a pic posted (here or elesewhere?) a couple of years ago of a stretch in Virginia where you could see about 3 or so days up the trail. It was a long winding ridge, possibly in the central part of the state. Does anyone know where this stretch might be? I know this isn't much to go on, but I thought with some suggestions, I might be able to brute force a search. Thx in advance.

MOWGLI
02-07-2005, 13:54
You can look SW from Tinker Cliffs and see Dragons Tooth which is a day or two by trail (depending on your pace). There is probably a place or two in Shenandoah where you can see 50 miles north or south on a clear day.

Lugnut
02-07-2005, 14:33
If I remember right you can see Mt. Rogers from Hump Mt.

BlackCloud
02-07-2005, 14:37
My best guess is Chestnut Knob in SW VA. From there you can look South some 60+ miles (I would guess) towards Mt. Rogers. As you hike south from the shelter, you can actually look @ most of the terrain itself in what I would have to describe as one of the most sweeping views in VA

Brushy Sage
02-07-2005, 15:03
My best guess is Chestnut Knob in SW VA. From there you can look South some 60+ miles (I would guess) towards Mt. Rogers. As you hike south from the shelter, you can actually look @ most of the terrain itself in what I would have to describe as one of the most sweeping views in VA

I was exhausted climbing up through the meadow to Chestnut Knob shelter late in the day. I stopped to rest, turned around to look at the view, and was spellbound. No wonder they call it God's Thumbprint.

Grimace
02-07-2005, 15:55
I had an awesome view from the top of the Bigelows in Maine. I was able to see Katahdin and Mt Washington. 1/6th of the entire trail from one mtn.

Saluki Dave
02-10-2005, 13:31
The Chestnut Knob suggestion seemed most likely, but I don't believe it's the one I remember. It may be silly to say, because I'm certainly not unique in this, but I love the long views. It seems to put things in proper perspective. Everytime I stand on an overlook, I can't help but realize that this view was here long before me, and will remain long after I'm gone. I appreciate the privilege of experiencing each one. Maybe someday I'll have seen them all...

Patco
02-14-2005, 21:02
http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/6082/sort/1/size/big/cat/last14/page/3

I dunno ... could be a lot of places along the parkway or skyline drive. Maybe approaching the Priest or Shenandoa ... hummm. :-?

Kerosene
02-15-2005, 12:39
Here's a picture (http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/1746/size/big/sort/1/cat/500) of the ridgeline from McAfee Knob looking north toward Daleville. It's about 17 miles to Daleville. You can see part of this route from Dragon's Tooth, about 12 miles to the north, which would be 2-3 days of walking.

flyfisher
02-15-2005, 13:26
http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/6082/sort/1/size/big/cat/last14/page/3

I dunno ... could be a lot of places along the parkway or skyline drive. Maybe approaching the Priest or Shenandoa ... hummm. :-?

Yes, the one I was thinking about was looking north from Spy Rock (Fish Hatchery Road/ Montebelo) toward the Priest, Three Ridges, and beyond.