PDA

View Full Version : Black Bear Gets A Nibble In

Sierra Echo
07-15-2011, 23:37
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/07/15/colorado.bear.attack/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

I didn't know bears could unzip tent flaps! :eek:

Trailweaver
07-16-2011, 01:27
Wonder what kind of food scent was inside the tent?

double d
07-16-2011, 02:39
12,000 black bears in Colorado!!!! Ohhhhhhhh Noooooo, I gotta have my snickers bar right next to me in my tent at night!

Pedaling Fool
07-16-2011, 08:47
The freakin' bear bit into a leg not a snickers bar; aren't they suppose to have phenomenal sense of smell, I think they can differentiate between a leg and a candy bar.

LDog
07-16-2011, 09:04
"We manage wild bears for a healthy and thriving population," said Dan Prenzlow, regional manager for wildlife with Colorado Parks and Wildlife. "But when an individual bear enters a tent and attacks a sleeping person, we manage that animal to protect the public safety."

I hope they never decide to "manage" hikers ...

vamelungeon
07-16-2011, 12:03
Wonder what kind of food scent was inside the tent?
Meat. They are omnivorous.

WingedMonkey
07-16-2011, 13:09
A. A group of 700-1000 bow hunters do not camp in backpacking tents.
B. Bears do not knock or open zippers.
C. Six dozen eggs next to your tent is not enough to fill up a bear.
D. The boy required minor medical attention.
E. The bear was crazy and is now dead.

http://www.denverpost.com/headlines/ci_18489415

chynabear
07-16-2011, 18:37
Matching the description of the bear?

Big, black, bear.......That could be anyone!!

The bear really had no intention of violence toward the campers or else the headlines would have read more like camper killed by bear.... he was curious, as bears are known to be...I think maybe a relocation would have served the purpose a bit more than destroying the animal

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a tree hugging hippie that thinks we shouldn't kill animals. I wan't steak everyday!! But I don't understand why we give people with the ability to reason more of a chance than an animal that is just being instinctive in it's own right, more chances than they're worth....

A man pleads guilty to a murder to be sentenced to life in prison so my tax dollars have feed and cloth him, while a curious animal, probably startled by some movement by the boy gives a little warning, and then chases something that runs from it (instinctively), is put to death....Wrong in my eyes....

Toolshed
07-17-2011, 04:47

Used dogs to track the bear by scent.

The bear really had no intention of violence toward the campers or else the headlines would have read more like camper killed by bear.... he was curious, as bears are known to be...I think maybe a relocation would have served the purpose a bit more than destroying the animal
not today, but as a young bear, it showed a very aggressive display simply by wandering into an encampment of 700-1000 people/ Perhaps better to destroy now than wait until it is a fully grown agressive bear willing to be more agressive for food.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a tree hugging hippie that thinks we shouldn't kill animals. I wan't steak everyday!! But I don't understand why we give people with the ability to reason more of a chance than an animal that is just being instinctive in it's own right, more chances than they're worth....
INSTINCTIVE means it would tend to AVOID humans/crowds.

nufsaid
07-17-2011, 14:32
"We manage wild bears for a healthy and thriving population," said Dan Prenzlow, regional manager for wildlife with Colorado Parks and Wildlife. "But when an individual bear enters a tent and attacks a sleeping person, we manage that animal to protect the public safety."

I hope they never decide to "manage" hikers ...

Some hikers need to be managed.

nufsaid
07-17-2011, 15:42

A man pleads guilty to a murder to be sentenced to life in prison so my tax dollars have feed and cloth him, while a curious animal, probably startled by some movement by the boy gives a little warning, and then chases something that runs from it (instinctively), is put to death....Wrong in my eyes....

You make a great case for the death penalty.

DapperD
08-03-2011, 14:02
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/07/15/colorado.bear.attack/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

I didn't know bears could unzip tent flaps! :eek:Another black bear attack in N.J:http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/08/bear_attacks_injures_two_boys.html