PDA

View Full Version : Question about backpack?

tomman
07-16-2011, 05:03
I have been trying to find a backpack that I like and I think I have found one. It is made by a German company and they are know for making very good stuff . It is the Deuter ATC lite 65+10. It looks like a very good backpack but was wondering if any one has any comments about it?

Any help at all would be appreciated. I plan to use it for my AT hike in 2012.

Thanks,

Tomman

EastCoastFeastCoast
07-16-2011, 09:33
I have one, traded it in for a Deuter ACT Lite 50+10 because it was so big. It's a little on the heavy side at 3.5+ pounds... but it caries VERY well. To me, it's worth the extra weight because it's so comfortable. The frame is adjustable so it will fit anyone. The hip belt pocket is great (wish it had 2 instead of just 1). The hydration hole in the top allows you to run the hose on your left or right shoulder, however the velcro patch is on the right shoulder. Really like the extra hidden pocket on the inside of the top lid (in addition to the regular pouch on the top lid) good to keep valuables. Overall it's pretty bulletproof and carries well, for me anyways. One thing I don't like, is the buckles/straps on it... they're made by Deuter and are a unique design, which means you can't easily replace/repair them on the trail with standard buckles. Have yet to need to replace them, but it's a possibility if you are rough on packs. My 2 cents, hope you find the perfect pack, my friend!

Happy Hangin'
Ben

EastCoastFeastCoast
07-16-2011, 09:37
Oh, I forgot...

The front mesh pocket is great, but when you have the main body of the pack completely stuffed... it's next to impossible to get anything with bulk in the front mesh pocket. It has no elastic or bellows or anything, so even a rain jacket is difficult to get in there.

MuddyWaters
07-18-2011, 21:15
Doesnt really matter if anyone else likes it. You have to like it, (and carry it). Fit the pack to your gear and style/philosophy.

Del Q
07-19-2011, 17:49
I have gone through a few years of gear selecting.............more and more I carry less weight and overall a more simple plan. Am a LOT happier with less, less gear, less weight, more about hiking and less about the gear.

1. No cooking, there is plenty of food to eat that does not require cooking, pig out in town
2. Work out hard, lose as much weight in my belly as I can
3. Spend what money I have on lighter gear.

Check out Hyperlight Mountain Gear, have not been out yet but I really like this new cuben fiber pack.........smaller pack = less stuff it will fit = force me to leave excess gear at home.

I am at 30-34 lbs all in with 5-7 days of food and some "booze", think that I might tip under 30 lbs for Fall hikes with all food and water, happy about that!

DaveSail
07-19-2011, 18:08
Yes , a German Company . But , aren't they sewed in Viet Nam ? [ No reason they couldn't do a better job there !! ] David V. Webber

q-tip
07-20-2011, 11:20
I ussed the ACT 65+10 for 100 miles, the pack just carried too big and a little too heavy. I went back to my GG Vapor Trail and used that for the next 800 miles. I am looking at ULA packs for next season.