PDA

View Full Version : Do not care for heights

tomman
07-16-2011, 05:57
I do not do well around heights. I was wondering if any one else has had this problem when hiking the AT? I will not let it stop me from a thru-hike in 2012. Like the previous post says I will go over the area on my knees or my butt, what ever it takes. Any one out there from Texas that would care to hike with me? That way I could be blind folded if needed. I will be 76 when I start the trail. I have had a 4 way by pass surgery in my heart but feel great now. I just need to start out very slow, but everyone should do that.

Tomman

AKA Cherokee Tom

10-K
07-16-2011, 07:31
You'll be fine. The last 5 miles of trail is where the greatest concentration of thrills are and by the time you get there you'll be a different person when it comes to hiking.

Hikes in Rain
07-16-2011, 08:03
I share your issues with heights. But for some reason, going up a mountain, getting to the top, and having the world laid out before you doesn't seem to apply to my issues. I don't really know why, but it doesn't.

tomman
07-18-2011, 03:30
Thanks very much with the answers about my not caring about heights. They make me feel better. I plaan to hit yhr trail in March of 2012 and pray I can go all the way,

Thanks again,

tomman

Feral Nature
07-18-2011, 14:02
Hi Cherokee Tom! I am from Texas too, east of Austin. I have an issue with heights as well. First of all the physical because I have really bad knees and know I will have to go really slow and climbing up or down will be a challenge. And then psychological. As a Texan, I am not used to climbing mountains and may lack common sense when it comes to things high and steep. (Just as a mountain born may surely wither and die where I live).

I have a plan somewhat outlined for March 2012, I have to see if all my ducks will be in a row then. But I would make a very slow companion! I think there is a sign-up thread for 2012 that I have already joined.

hikerboy57
07-18-2011, 14:48
Except for some partsd of the whites and Maine, although you'll be climbing mountains, theres very little exposure, which is a big factor with heights. There are a lot of steep sections that are a little dicey, but very few areas where you would feel like you could just "fall off". as 10-k suggested, by the time you get to NH and ME, you probably wont think twice.You're more inclined to fall when there was no apparent reason to.( a tree root, wet rocks, etc.)

Feral Nature
07-18-2011, 15:09
Thanks hikerboy57. I fall for no apparent reason already so there ya go. I am trying to think this all out and cover all my bases and make sure that this is do-able. I am Bipolar and have epilepsy and take lots of meds with side effects of dizziness and so forth. That is why I no longer drive. Also some cognitive proplems, memory loss, that is why I no longer practice as a registered nurse. I am pretty darn stable now though and have few issues anymore. i am open about it because it may help others on this forum who dare not speak of it and also because, as a retired medical professional, medical stuff is up for discussion. Throughout my life I have usually met any set goals, no matter how far-fetched or what others have thought. I am in the process of getting my physical body systems checked out before I buy a bunch of new gear.

Del Q
07-18-2011, 19:21
I'll take a different spin on this one. My wife is REALLY afraid of heights, not the kind of heights that would frighten me or most of us, just walking in or on areas that are high up and un-supported......................on my spring hike in SW Virginia North of Bland there were some areas that had like a 12 inch "trail" and a steep down, like 60 degrees. That could scare anyone that is "afraid of heights".

My hope is that she will agree to some long distance backpacking at some point...............if not ????

hikerboy57
07-18-2011, 19:27
I dont know how old you are, but one suggestion would be to sign up for a beginners rock climbing seminar. learning to trust the rope might give her some good exposure to moderate heights while safely tied in.and fear isnt necessarily a bad thing, it helps keep you alive. Its learning to control fear thats sometimes a challenge.

Gramps
07-21-2011, 23:17
..." don't look down, don't look down, don't look down"... Sorry, just a little humor. I too am afraid of heights and have thought about such things but will deal with it. Funny I can ride a roller coaster and it not bother me but put me on a ferris wheel or something that stops at the top and my stomach is churning, even in an enclosed car. Good luck.

tomman
07-22-2011, 01:04
Gramps,

That is the way I feel. In fact I use to ride all the rides at fair park except the ferris wheel you can not get me on that one.

Elder
07-22-2011, 10:20
Did anyone think to mention that on the AT it is not so much the heights, as the length?

Me, I'm afraid of widths.

Feral Nature
08-09-2011, 18:25
Did anyone think to mention that on the AT it is not so much the heights, as the length?

Me, I'm afraid of widths.

Too funny!