PDA

View Full Version : sleeping comfort softness question

birdygal
07-16-2011, 13:45
I have a hard time sleeping on anything hard, I currently sleep on an overstuffed leather couch because it is so soft, What are the best suggestions for a type of mat to purchase to backpack in, I would rather carry 4 extra lbs than get no sleep and wake up with sore hips and shoulder, I do have arthitis in the shoulder I sleep on

Silverstone
07-16-2011, 14:09
Well, I was worried about the same thing myself, and I'm a huge guy (probably the fattest backpacker you'll ever see). I tried out my brother's REI 1.75 sleeping pad, and was surprised at how comfortable it was. I thought it was a tad heavy, but I think it weighs in at 2 lbs 8 oz.

Anyhow, just yesterday I bought a Thermarest Trail Lite Large pad. It's weighs 2-7, an ounce less, but it's 25 inches wide, and an inch-and-a-half thick when inflated. Even my tubby tubby didn't touch the ground while laying on it, so I'm sure you'll be plenty comfy.

pilgrim1
07-16-2011, 14:32
I have a hard time sleeping on anything hard, I currently sleep on an overstuffed leather couch because it is so soft, What are the best suggestions for a type of mat to purchase to backpack in, I would rather carry 4 extra lbs than get no sleep and wake up with sore hips and shoulder, I do have arthitis in the shoulder I sleep on

i also have terrible time sleepin on trail.ive tried just about ever kind of pad.even doubling the pads (still no rest).The best i have found is go to walmart an get a big piece of foam from the bedding section.and cut it ever how u like.yes it does weigh more but let me sleep.at our age (or speaking just for me )rest is everything!

rjjones
07-16-2011, 15:16
Have any of you looked into a hammock.I have a bad back and have found the hammock very comfy.

MuddyWaters
07-16-2011, 15:50
That is a very personal question. Many carry a cushy sleep pad as their one luxury item.

my sleep pads weighs 5.2 oz I am a stomach sleeper primarily and you need much less padding when laying on stomach than side or back.

Tipi Walter
07-16-2011, 16:09
I'd say the softest backpacking pad I ever used is the Exped Downmat 9 Pump. It will be too warm for summer use but you should investigate the Exped line for a similar 3.5 inch thick three season pad.

hikerinnc
07-16-2011, 16:25
thermarest neo-air, have the nest comfort, light weight.

halftime
07-16-2011, 16:53
REI Trekker 1.75 (http://www.rei.com/product/778148/rei-trekker-175-self-inflating-pad)

paistes5
07-16-2011, 16:58
I'll second that on the REI 1.75. I love mine and always sleep great.

Red Hat
07-16-2011, 17:15
hammock or else neoair if I must be on ground

4shot
07-16-2011, 18:28
as another said, look at the Exped products. I have both the model 9 and 7. The 9 is for cold and/or shorter trips. I carried the 7 on the AT last year. Neither will give me the rest I get at home on my mattress to be sure but these are the best that I have found by far.

LDog
07-16-2011, 21:55
Big Agnes Air Core. 2.5 inches thick. Good to 35 degrees. They have an insulated version good to 15. If I was going solo, I'd seriously consider a hammock.

Chubbs4U
07-16-2011, 22:06
http://www.ccoutdoorstore.com/nemo-astro-insulated-sleeping-pad.html

I went with this one. So far so good. A bit heavy but relatively light compared to others here.

birdygal
07-17-2011, 00:54
thanks everyone I am looking into all options I originally though hammock was the only way I would be happy but I am going with my husband so tent or shelter is just about my options for now, Once I know my husband and I are ok with the overnight hiking and sleep ok, we are day hikers have not slept in a tent for 20 plus years which I hated sleeping on the ground then, my husband has never camped one day in his entire 70 yrs. I won't have a problem spending on better equipment

skinewmexico
07-17-2011, 11:16
Any of the insulated air mattresses. Just don't over-infllate them. Self inflating mattresses don't work for me, too thin, too heavy. Or try this - http://www.luxurylite.com/cotindex.html. Or..........learn to sleep on something harder. It's a learned skill.

Deerleg
07-17-2011, 14:14
Only a partial solution, but when practical sight selection can make a big difference too...some of us stealth camp away from established sights and selecting an area with nice soft duff can help a lot compared to the hard ground or a shelter floor. Looking for "leaf traps" in the fall are not only softer but help with insulation. Experienced a dry cold February trip a couple of years ago along the Blue Ridge and slept warm and well in the softest bed of leaves imaginable with just a small thin torso pad.

SimplyMe
07-17-2011, 15:58
I have had 2 herniated discs and the best answer for me has been a hammock! Take a look at the Hammock Forum's site for useful ideas - and if I may make a suggestion, please do yourself a favor and get a large (10 or 12' x 20') ultra-light wieght tarp. In my experience, sitting out thunderstorms and dealing with cold breezes in the mountains will be much more comfortable with a very large tarp. During my attempted AT thru-hike, I used a diamond shaped Treehugger tarp and though I was dry and okay - I could have been better and felt safer.
Good luck!

seabrookhiker
07-17-2011, 16:55
None of my disks are herniated yet, but five of mine are bulging or torn. So my back is an issue. I slept like a baby in a hammock for years, but circumstance forced me to the ground. I now sleep well on either a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core (in cold weather) or a NeoAir (the rest of the year.) Both are 2.5" thick. The NeoAir is under a pound, and as I'm trying to keep my load light to preserve what's left of my back, I like that a lot. :)

Country Roads
07-17-2011, 20:09
Ground camping I use a Neoair short, otherwise I love my hammock!

sbhikes
07-17-2011, 21:07
After several sleepless nights in a row, you will be broken of any need for ultra-softness and will be able to sleep on closed-cell foam. Kinda like going cold-turkey from coffee. At least that's the consensus among several of my hiker friends. But my BF disagrees so he uses a neo-air.