PDA

View Full Version : Coleman Does Dehydrated Meals

Silverstone
07-16-2011, 14:03
I may be late to the party on this one, but I just found out yesterday that Coleman makes trail food. While at the local WallyWorld picking up another six pouches of Mountain House, we saw a small Coleman display. As far as entrees go, all they had was chili, but they also had lemon/blueberry cheesecake dessert.

Each pouch was $4.88 (same price they charge for Mtn House), so we grabbed one of each. The chili was surprisingly good, as was the cheesecake (although maybe a little gritty, and had the consistency of a Jello no-bake that had been left out in the sun).

The only downside was that, unlike Mountain House entrees, the chili was mixed in the pot, not the pouch, so yeah, you'll have to dirty your cookpot instead of just boiling water in it. The dessert, however, was mixed and eaten out of the pouch.

Anybody seen any other entrees from Coleman?

WingedMonkey
07-16-2011, 14:16
They are made by Enertia Trail Foods. And yes they are dehydrated, not freeze dried.

pdcollins6092
07-16-2011, 16:44
Here (http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/subcategory.asp?CategoryID=64666) is their site that shows all the ones that they have. One of our local Wal-Marts and Gander Mountain has pretty much all of them. I havent tried them yet but have thought about geting a ouple to try out..

vamelungeon
07-16-2011, 16:45
I'd be more interested if they were in-the-bag cook instead of in-the-pot.

Old Hiker
07-16-2011, 16:50
The ones I've bought (but not yet tried) are all in the pouch as well as in the pot, adding 12 ounces of water to the pouch. Max Patch mac and cheese, cheesy tomato pasta and Allegheny Alfredo noodles. My favorite so far is still Mountain House pasta primavera.

Slo-go'en
07-16-2011, 17:01
I tried a few on the trail this last spring. They were eatable. Less bulky than Mountain House, which is a plus.

Razor
07-16-2011, 18:19
I have enjoyed them for several years.--Don't buy to many prepared meals but the ones I buy are Enertia--I think better than others--They started packing under the Coleman lable several years ago same food same quality

Tuckahoe
07-16-2011, 19:44
I couple weeks ago I found the Coleman label at Target on sale for $2.50. Bought a few to try out and I wasnt all that impressed. I did like the deserts though.

Wil
07-16-2011, 20:00
I used to buy the Enertia San Juan Stroganoff just about every trip, though I added a little of my own dried hamburger. Haven't tried it since they sold out to Coleman. The cheesecake was OK. A few other dinners were decent.

They had a scrambled egg thing that was inedible, about the worst I ever tried.