PDA

View Full Version : Sams Gap

rustyD
02-07-2005, 14:23
Hi everyone!

I live near Sams Gap, which is the access point on the NC/TN border in between Hot Springs and Erwin, just south of Big Bald.

Is there a need for a food/supply service at this location? There's nowhere close really to get food. I was thinking of starting a service for hikers.

Any thoughts on this? How would hikers contact me? How could this work.

Thanks!
Russ

Footslogger
02-07-2005, 14:27
That's a good quesiton. Unless a hiker had a cell phone (and a good signal) it would be tough. If you really want to do this I would suggest you set 2 or 3 times a day when you would be willing to stop at the Gap. Get this information into the various hiker guides/handbooks in advance of the next hiking season. Hard to tell how busy you'd be but I'm sure the shuttle for food/snacks would be appreciated by many.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Brushy Sage
02-07-2005, 14:32
Hi everyone!

I live near Sams Gap, which is the access point on the NC/TN border in between Hot Springs and Erwin, just south of Big Bald.

Is there a need for a food/supply service at this location? There's nowhere close really to get food. I was thinking of starting a service for hikers.

Thanks!
Russ

How far from the Sams Gap crossing would they have to hike to reach your location? I think that might be a determiining factor. Generally I think it is a good idea.

Lone Wolf
02-07-2005, 14:35
There's no need for thru-hiker services in that area. Hot Springs and Erwin are close. Section hikers may need shuttle assistance but Miss Janet or Bluff Mtn. Outfitters probably have that covered.

flyfisher
02-07-2005, 16:17
Hi everyone!

Thanks!
Russ

The restaurant a mile east has been a popular stop for a while. I ate breakfast there about 2 years ago. It was unclear if it was going to remain open with the new highway going in. I agree with LW, that a resupply point that close to Erwin would not likely get all that much business. However, a good hot meal is always welcome.

Brushy Sage
02-07-2005, 16:51
The restaurant a mile east has been a popular stop for a while. I ate breakfast there about 2 years ago. It was unclear if it was going to remain open with the new highway going in. I agree with LW, that a resupply point that close to Erwin would not likely get all that much business. However, a good hot meal is always welcome.

The restaurant 1.9 miles east is no more; the nearest is Little Creek Cafe, 2.8 mi east according to the databook.

steve hiker
02-13-2005, 20:53
I think this is a good idea. I had to cut a Hot Springs to Erwin section hike short at Sam’s Gap this weekend (due to running behind schedule) and a couple of other hikers had to shuttle into Erwin from there to re-supply. Luckily, Miss Janet was able to come get us on short notice. But in a month or two she may be too busy with the NOBO rush. Also, Bluff Mountain Outfitters in Hot Springs would charge quite a bit to come and get someone at Sam’s Gap.

Why not put your name and number on the shuttle lists or drive a sign into the ground at the road crossing where hikers could walk to your place if they needed an emergency re-supply or shuttle from Sam’s Gap. If you live in one of those houses right near the road crossing, they could walk the few hundred yards easy. If you live further, they could hitch to the restaurant to the east and call from there.

Mountain Dew
02-14-2005, 03:27
Every road crossing needs a food service, somebody to clean my boots, oil my hiking poles, and waterproof my tent for me. While they are at it hopefully they will take group photo's and give back massages. :cool: