PDA

View Full Version : Advice on overnighter near Cherokee w/ 11 y.o. son

wbnole
07-16-2011, 20:30
Hi all
I was hoping to get some advice on an overnighter route for my son and I. We will be visiting my dad in Cherokee in August and we would like to find a section near there. He is in Scouts here in Fl and has done some 5 milers with no problem. These were done in a couple of hours, but of course the terrain was flat. Anyway, I was looking for maybe 7-10 the first day, camp, then hike out the next day with another 5-10. Any advice on routes, shelters or tent, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks for helping out an AT newbie.;)

carpattack
07-16-2011, 21:25
I would hike the deep creek trail in Bryson city. 3 waterfalls and the trail is all along the creek. Plenty of campsites up the trail so you can determine how far you want to go.

moldy
07-17-2011, 10:31
This is what I would do. Call the GSMNP reservation line and get a reservation for Kephart Shelter. On that day park at Newfound Gap and head South on the AT for 4.4 miles then go to the right on Dry Sluce Gap Trail for 1.3 miles to Gephart prong trail then take it to the right 2.5 miles to the shelter. Next day get on the Sweat Heifer Creek trail 3.7 miles to the AT then left 1.7 miles to Newfound Gap. Check out the map on the GSMNP web page.

wbnole
07-24-2011, 17:23
Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice!

lissersmith
07-24-2011, 18:55
I would also recommend the Deep Creek Trail, your son would be happy to have the creek to play in. It is very hot up here in the SMokies right now.If you look at the map, there are some loops you can do, or an out and back. There are many campsites up Deep Creek.

carpattack
07-24-2011, 20:52
Plus the most important thing I forgot about deep creek... You can rent tubes and tube down the creek. It's the only cure for those hot summer days!

Magua
07-29-2011, 21:23
Deep creek is great! My girlfriend and I did and over nighter last year. We got dropped off at the top of the mountain and just hiked down over night to where the tubing begins at the end of the trail. Down hill all the way, very easy. The only problem is that it doubles as a horse trail so expect lots of mudd if there has been recent rain. Tubing, fishing, and picnicking is a great way to spend the day once you reach the bottom. We stopped midway at a sub-par camp sight (very buggy) but if we had hiked another half mile then we would have made it too a great camp sight where the trail splits. Ill try to dig up an old trail map to find better details on the exact over night trail and camp sight.

Also, its not a hike but if you are willing to drive to Sliding Rock (60 foot natural water slide created by a stream and smooth rock face at a gentle slope) located along the blue ridge near Asheville then we are talking some serious fun for an 11 year old boy. Id recommend getting they early (before noon) and avoiding the crowds.