PDA

View Full Version : The North Face Alteo 50 Backpack TNF Black M/L

Pastaboy
07-17-2011, 16:50
Has anyone used this pack, any feedback would be helpful.

Chubbs4U
07-20-2011, 20:54
I have not but just picked up the REI Flash 50 and so far its pretty awesome. Pretty light, lots of little features. Havent used it on the trail yet but will soon enough.

Limeman
07-26-2011, 00:42
Hi. I actually just compared both the Alteo 50 and the Flash 50 while looking for a mid-size pack this last weekend, and had a chance to load them up and give them a whirl. They are both really nice packs, but are completely different animals from one another. The flash is the "little pack that could" which still manages to sneak in a bunch of cool features and perform very nicely - especially for the price. It is lighter, $50 cheaper (although I have seen the Alteo 50 on sale online for about $139), has thicker padding on the straps and belts, but has a less-robust suspension, so it won't hold as much weight comfortably. It has a traditional back panel, so your back will get pretty sweaty, and the over-all construction and materials are a bit flimsier and less-sophisticated. The Alteo is heavier by about 12 oz, is more expensive (online deals not-withstanding), has a more robust "trampoline" style suspension (your back will stay very cool in comparison to the Flash) and you will be able to carry more weight comfortably. The "details" are extremely well-thought out and executed with the NF pack - the side pockets ca hold a ton and are easy to access when the pack is fully loaded (the Flash is just "OK" with this) and the ability to access the the contents of your pack from the side as well as the top stand out, among many other sweet design details. IMO, It's the difference between a bare-bones but reliable Toyota (Flash) vs. a BMW (Alteo). Both will get you from point A to B, but one with more style, panache, and sophistication. You buy a Flash when you're just starting to backpack and are uncertain you like the sport. Once you determine you're really into it, you buy a pack like the Alteo, and then loan out the Flash to friends who don't have packs, knowing fully that the pack will perform nicely for them and (hopefully) get them hooked.

One thing I do love about the Flash series ( I own and use a Flash 65 quite a bit) is the pack's ability to morph into any number of configurations. You can lose the lid to save weight. You can lose the aluminum rods to save even more, and you can lose the frame sheet all together if you want to go frameless. Makes for great versatility, especially when using just one pack for a trip to summit a high peak (Mt. Shasta here in Cali comes to mind) or do day hikes from a base camp. The Alteo does not offer that type of versatility. My guess is if you could have just one pack, I'd go with a Flash (most likely the 65, unless you are certain you'll never need more than a 50 liter pack) and just use it, abuse it and smile at the great performance you got for the money. But if you can have more than one - the Alteo's are worth a serious look. IMO, I like them better than the Osprey Atmos and Exos series of "trampoline-style" packs, which I found uncomfortable in comparison.

What I ended up doing was going for the Alteo 35 as surprisingly, I was able pack just about as much into the Alteo 35 (2200 cubic inches) as I could into the Flash 50 (3000 cubic inches). Additionally, it has most, if not all the features of the Alteo 50, and I figured it would be a great summer pack (ideal for the trampoline suspension design) and a perfect supplement to my Flash 65's 3800 cubic inches and more traditional suspension setup.

@Pasaboy... I spend a good bit of time looking the Alteo packs over and wearing them fully loaded, so if you have any questions about them, please ask away and hopefully I can answer for you.

Cheers!

Limeman
07-27-2011, 02:40
Hi. A quick addendum to my post above: While shopping at one of my local gear haunts, I spoke with an employee of the shop who said he recently had a chance to spend some time with the designer of The North Face Alteo packs. Turns out, he was the same guy who designed the original Atmos line of packs for Osprey.

Caucasian
09-14-2011, 02:04
Hi. I actually just compared both the Alteo 50 and the Flash 50 while looking for a mid-size pack this last weekend, and had a chance to load them up and give them a whirl. They are both really nice packs, but are completely different animals from one another. The flash is the "little pack that could" which still manages to sneak in a bunch of cool features and perform very nicely - especially for the price. It is lighter, $50 cheaper (although I have seen the Alteo 50 on sale online for about $139), has thicker padding on the straps and belts, but has a less-robust suspension, so it won't hold as much weight comfortably. It has a traditional back panel, so your back will get pretty sweaty, and the over-all construction and materials are a bit flimsier and less-sophisticated. The Alteo is heavier by about 12 oz, is more expensive (online deals not-withstanding), has a more robust "trampoline" style suspension (your back will stay very cool in comparison to the Flash) and you will be able to carry more weight comfortably. The "details" are extremely well-thought out and executed with the NF pack - the side pockets ca hold a ton and are easy to access when the pack is fully loaded (the Flash is just "OK" with this) and the ability to access the the contents of your pack from the side as well as the top stand out, among many other sweet design details. IMO, It's the difference between a bare-bones but reliable Toyota (Flash) vs. a BMW (Alteo). Both will get you from point A to B, but one with more style, panache, and sophistication. You buy a Flash when you're just starting to backpack and are uncertain you like the sport. Once you determine you're really into it, you buy a pack like the Alteo, and then loan out the Flash to friends who don't have packs, knowing fully that the pack will perform nicely for them and (hopefully) get them hooked.

One thing I do love about the Flash series ( I own and use a Flash 65 quite a bit) is the pack's ability to morph into any number of configurations. You can lose the lid to save weight. You can lose the aluminum rods to save even more, and you can lose the frame sheet all together if you want to go frameless. Makes for great versatility, especially when using just one pack for a trip to summit a high peak (Mt. Shasta here in Cali comes to mind) or do day hikes from a base camp. The Alteo does not offer that type of versatility. My guess is if you could have just one pack, I'd go with a Flash (most likely the 65, unless you are certain you'll never need more than a 50 liter pack) and just use it, abuse it and smile at the great performance you got for the money. But if you can have more than one - the Alteo's are worth a serious look. IMO, I like them better than the Osprey Atmos and Exos series of "trampoline-style" packs, which I found uncomfortable in comparison.

What I ended up doing was going for the Alteo 35 as surprisingly, I was able pack just about as much into the Alteo 35 (2200 cubic inches) as I could into the Flash 50 (3000 cubic inches). Additionally, it has most, if not all the features of the Alteo 50, and I figured it would be a great summer pack (ideal for the trampoline suspension design) and a perfect supplement to my Flash 65's 3800 cubic inches and more traditional suspension setup.

@Pasaboy... I spend a good bit of time looking the Alteo packs over and wearing them fully loaded, so if you have any questions about them, please ask away and hopefully I can answer for you.

Cheers!

Thanks for the info, it was really helpful for me, because I am in situation that can't determin yet what to choose, tnt prophet 52 or tnt alteo 50.
I love them both. I don't know why but in backpacks, I only recognize The North Face, I have sense tha I could not bear any other brand :)) yea, it's funny but it is so... :)
I intend to make a long run. solo hiking trip, in Georgia (caucasus) that's why is important for me backpack made from very strudy materials,
and of course leightweight.