PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Amicalola Falls to neel's gap july 26

Hwcross82
07-17-2011, 20:41
I am going to hike the approach trail to Neel's gap starting July 26th. I know i may be nuts to do so, but I am committed and ready. I am looking for any news on water sources or wildlife issues in the area. I am not opposed to pairing up with someone for the hike. I am a high school history teacher and a novice hiker so time isn't an issue. Let me know if you have any information for me. My email address is [email protected]. thank you, and happy hiking

FatMan
07-18-2011, 09:19
Wildlife: Always be aware of rattlers as they sometimes are right out on the trail. But be more careful when sitting on rocks or tree trunks when making camp. Bears were all well fed by the thru-hikers and have moved away from the shelters in search of real bear food. But be sure to hang your food as there are lots of little critters that would love to eat through your pack.

Water: We've had plenty of rain so water this year is about as good as it gets in July. The seasonal sources are mostly dry but the more reliable sources are running. Just remember there is no water from Hawk Mtn Shelter to Justus Creek. And that will be as tough of a section you will hike, especially in the conditions you will be hiking.

Weather: Expect oppressive humidity and still air, unless a storm is on the way. It was amazingly cool this weekend and never got above 75. But even at those temps, I was a sweaty mess day hiking because of the humidity. You need to plan on warmer (80-85) temps. And with the humidity and a pack it will feel like 90-100.

This time of year I recommend getting a very early start to beat the heat. Keep a set of dry clothes for evening and sleeping. The clothes you hike and sweat in will never get dry.

Good chance I will see you on the trail somewhere between Woody Gap and Justus Creek as I expect to be at my mountain home at Grassy Gap 28-31. You can stop in for a cold beer, you'll need it.

doritotex
07-18-2011, 10:25
Remember the guy is from Dallas where it has been over 100 degrees for 17 days in a row. I think that the heat won't bother him like most folks! But, I would never pass up a water source, you will need it going up the mountains!

I'm leaving today for a 7 day hike from Unicoi Gap, Ga to the NOC, I'm trying to decide on whether to leave my 32 degree bag at home and just take a sleeping bag liner. There is a chance of rain every day this week....so if I get wet I might need it to warm up. The lows look like the high 60's/low 70's in Helen, Ga, will it be 10 degrees cooler in the mountains? I guess I could always sleep in all my clothes!!

Toli
07-18-2011, 10:44
You are the voice of reason, FatMan... Luv ya... And NOT because you have IPA on tap... OK, maybe just a little...

Hwcross82
07-18-2011, 11:22
Thank you so much fatman! My wife is terrified that the bears will get me. I would love to stop in for a cold one. You are right dorito, the 100 plus days are adding up. Do y'all think i will see many hikers during the week this time of year? I am doubting with the heat or rain that I may get I will see many. It is a little early for any SOBOs. Thanks again for all the info. Let me know the best way to get in touch with you fatman. Another question I have is about cell service in the area. I have verizon and was curious if I would be able to call out if i have an emergency?

FatMan
07-18-2011, 11:47
Thank you so much fatman! My wife is terrified that the bears will get me. I would love to stop in for a cold one. You are right dorito, the 100 plus days are adding up. Do y'all think i will see many hikers during the week this time of year? I am doubting with the heat or rain that I may get I will see many. It is a little early for any SOBOs. Thanks again for all the info. Let me know the best way to get in touch with you fatman. Another question I have is about cell service in the area. I have verizon and was curious if I would be able to call out if i have an emergency?You will see some hikers on the weekend for sure. There will be some out during the weekdays but you may or may not run into them. Verizon has the best coverage in the area. Probably about 85%. The only problems with a signal will be when you are at lower elevations like at Justus Creek, Three Forks, and parts of the Approach Trail.

PM sent with contact information.

Slo-go'en
07-18-2011, 12:07
Remember the guy is from Dallas where it has been over 100 degrees for 17 days in a row. I think that the heat won't bother him like most folks!

Yea, but no doubt sitting in air conditioning 98% of the time! Heat stroke is something to look out for this time of year. Getting up before dawn and doing as many miles before 10 am as possible is a very good idea.

FatMan
07-18-2011, 12:19
You are the voice of reason, FatMan... Luv ya... And NOT because you have IPA on tap... OK, maybe just a little...Luv ya too Toli. Need to get over to your place for a visit. Of course you are always welcome at Grassy Gap for some IPA, and even some hiking as long as it doesn't get in the way of the drinking.:D