PDA

View Full Version : Female Thru Hiker companion needed for 2012

Lina
07-17-2011, 23:39
So I'm 17 years old and will be 18 next spring and I've wanted to hike the AT for many years now, I've done sections but I really want the experience of doing the whole thing. I have all the equipment, I've read all the books, and I've gone hiking on the AT, Yellowstone and in Alaska for months at a time so I'm very well experienced. The only thing standing in my way is that I'm young and I don't feel comfortable hiking by myself at least not to start out. I really need to find a partner soon if I'm going to be able to do this since if not I need to figure out college and such. So if anyone out there is interested preferably a female any age please let me know.
Also since I'm finishing school this year I probably can't finish until April or may so I would need someone willing to start then and maybe start a bit higher than Georgia to make up for starting late.

joker101
08-13-2011, 17:24
Hey I'm planning on starting early may 2012, going NOBO either at harpers ferry or a little north of that (due to time limits) I want to reach Katahdin end of july/early aug. I'm still very flexable as to times/places, I get out of the military early may and want to go to school in the fall so I have to be done early aug. I'm 21 Male, havn't done much hiking, but am in great shape. Let me know if your at all interested.

harryfred
08-13-2011, 21:07
Have you considered doing a SOBO. At 18 really would be a better hike for you and you will find a partner probably not female but there a lot of us big brother/Dad types out there.

Spokes
08-13-2011, 21:35
No worries. You'll have a trail family (or several) before you know it.

Cheers

ScottP
08-15-2011, 16:15
A possible idea:

Start with a friend/family member/trusted person that is planning on hiking with you for 1-2 weeks. Once that person goes home, you should have found a group on the trail that makes you safe and comfortable.

Lina
08-26-2011, 00:44
Thanks for all the ideas guys im talking to my family now

SaraLin
09-04-2011, 08:05
Hey girl! I'm attempting a thrusie next year as well. I'm heading NOBO on the AT with my boyfriend, Shutterbug (well, that's what I call him anyway) we'll see if it sticks :D! Anywho, if you need someone to hike with, we don't mind company. I'm 24 and he's 28 and we've got quite a bit of outdoor experience. We plan to leave on March 1st. What is your start date? Feel free to email me! And I must agree with one of the previous posts: you'll definitely find lots of people to hike with! But if you need someone to start your hike with until you find much cooler people, don't hesitate to hang with us ;)

wiz
09-05-2011, 13:12
I'm looking for a NOBO partner as well. I am a 19yr old guy just to inform you. I was planing to start alittle earliar then late April though. I'm actually planing on going to philly this october so we could actually formally meet before the AT. If interested pm me and ill send ya a link to my facebook.

souperman
01-04-2012, 19:37
Plan on May 1st start nobo give or take a few days. grandpa that can hike some miles, let me know if I can help, plan on driving to springer and leave my car there

redheadedhiker674
01-05-2012, 06:09
Let me know if for some reason your plans change and you go next year! I'm taking off spring 2013 semester of college and will do my thru hike from late feb-july. I'm 18 and would love a partner my age.

michaela
01-11-2012, 13:36
Hey, if this helps at all, I completed a thru-hike in 2008 go south, starting after college graduation as a solo 22 year old female. I felt a little lonely the first three days and then meshed in well with a group. So I would say a week would be all you needed if you could find a friend or relative to jump on board with you. And I would definitely recommend a southbound hike if you're not available to start until May, unless you need to finish earlier. Good luck! Have a great time!

Papa D
01-12-2012, 22:58
I hiked at age 18 - p/m me if you have some ques. - not that unusual - you'll do fine!

Starshine & Mercury
02-07-2012, 20:46
To Lina :Hi. I'm a 39yr old single mom planning to begin the hike with my 11yr old son. He still has school but I'm planning to take him out early so we can go, even if his school doesnt cooperate with us and retains him a year for missing last 3 1/2 weeks of classes. We are gonna catch a Greyhound to Atlanta to be able to go to the Hot Chelle Rae concert May 5th. Then we'll call hostel owner Josh & Leigh Saint to pick us up in Atlanta and bring us to their place for the night. In the morning we'll let them shuttle us to the (easy) trailhead one mile from the mountaintop start. We are very unfit and I dont think it would be wise to stress ourselves out with the 7+ mile approach from Amicola Park. We intend to make this a complete thru hike. We dont have everything we need to go yet, and I havent camped in ages. But I'm determined to make this work. We are gonna sell off most of our belongings to fund the trip. Then since we rent an apartment we wont have a place to return to if either of us hates it out there. I hope we dont hate it. So many negative people have tried to deter us from trying because of our finances and physical problems but their unhealthy words are something I refuse to listen to. I'd like to email you more if you still have an interest, perhaps even talk on phone since I dont have my own computer and it'll be hard to correspond online. Sincerely, Tina

Saprogenic
02-23-2012, 21:19
If you'd like to go South, leaving June/July, you can tag along with me. I could bring more outdoors experience, plus un nerve your worries. (I'd enjoy the company too.)

JethroSugarSponge
03-14-2012, 17:24
I'm a female hiker, just turned 21 and have the same concerns about hiking the trail. I will be hiking the trail when I graduate from college. I hope to leave around April 25th. I agree that it might be a good idea to start farther north on the trail since we're starting late. Let me know if you're interested in meeting up.