PDA

View Full Version : Spruce Knob/ Seneca Rocks WV

Pony
07-17-2011, 23:41
Heading out tomorrow for Monongahala N.F. I've been there before but it has been many years and I have had trouble finding good info about trails in this area. I would like to hike 40-60 miles, preferably in a loop where I can walk back to my car. I plan on stopping at the N.F. headquarters in Elkins to see what advice they can offer as well. Anyone familiar with this area? Is there an outfitters in Elkins?

Ktaadn
07-18-2011, 15:09
http://books.google.com/books?id=ik3GzYqAziAC&printsec=frontcover&dq=monongahela+national+forest+hiking&hl=en&ei=UYQkTsjuNMLNsQKq052ZAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDkQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=monongahela%20national%20forest%20hiking&f=false

I used this book for a Dolly Sods hike 2 years ago. I think I picked it up at REI. The hike I did was only about 25 miles but I think there are some longer ones in there.

Brewerbob
08-11-2011, 08:44
I'm planning the same trip starting Saturday. Did you find any info at the Elkins or other stations?

Country Roads
08-11-2011, 19:56
Hiking the Monongahela National Forest by alan dehart is a good book. You could wander around for a week or so in the Seneca Creek Back country by using the Seneca Creek Trail and the Allegheny Mountain Trail (not to be confused with the Allegheny Trail). There are several trails connecting the two and many others to wander around on between Gandy Creek and Seneca Creek. The scenery is totally awesome and after you move away from Seneca creek, you will not meet a lot of other hikers.

Brewerbob
08-12-2011, 07:18
Hiking the Monongahela National Forest by alan dehart is a good book. You could wander around for a week or so in the Seneca Creek Back country by using the Seneca Creek Trail and the Allegheny Mountain Trail (not to be confused with the Allegheny Trail). There are several trails connecting the two and many others to wander around on between Gandy Creek and Seneca Creek. The scenery is totally awesome and after you move away from Seneca creek, you will not meet a lot of other hikers.I did a search on "Monongahela" and found a lot of threads too. One mentioned camping along Red Creek. Doing a search this morning for "Dolly" to see what pops up. Thanx for the input.

I guess I'll find out when I get there but any idea how bad the bears are (this year and this time of year)? I've been to Dolly Sods before and I'm remembering tracks with no trees. I don't have a bear box and I don't remember seeing a tree big enough to hang a line.

Using the forestry site, I Google Mapped all of the "good" locations http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Pub+Road+18,+Monongahela+National+Fores t,+Parsons,+WV+26287&daddr=Pub+Road+324,+Black+Fork,+Tucker,+West+Virgi nia+26287+to:canaan+mountain+to:Dolly+Sods+Rd,+May sville,+West+Virginia+26833+to:pub+road+79+to:Pub+ Road+91,+Elkins,+West+Virginia+26241+to:Pub+Road+1 04,+Western,+Pendleton,+West+Virginia+to:Pub+Road+ 27,+Durbin,+West+Virginia+26264+to:Pub+Road+54+to: Upper+Bannock+Shoals+Run,+WV+to:Bishop+Knob+Recrea tion+Area,+Southern,+Webster,+West+Virginia+to:pub +81+road+to:summit+lake+road+to:Hill+Creek+Falls+R oad,+Hillsboro,+WV+to:Little+Creek+Rd,+White+Sulph ur+Springs,+West+Virginia+24986&hl=en&sll=38.606266,-80.677568&sspn=3.004642,4.96582&geocode=FSq4VAIdJyxC-w%3BFUl-UwIdXBpA-ymZpD310txKiDF4K_s5ZjA3DA%3BFV2NUwIdbvNC-ym5fePUPs5KiDGKtyPmFvpvpA%3BFQPRUgId8btF-yllo29jlC21iTECLVeNZzDX3Q%3BFc7fUAIdcxBG-ymtbmDPLyq1iTFSY5iJF1J8TA%3BFaMIUgId13o_-ynfLFUdP95KiDGnVKa3K0JtRg%3BFa9rTgIdK0lC-ynPnY2J3S9LiDHxU-qBnF1Q9Q%3BFZ9OTQIdwa09-ylJp7PN4BNLiDEyKEM8kqaryg%3BFTn1SwIdd9U_-ynnQbNahz9LiDE0X8PwuaxRBQ%3BFXRYSQIdHbE3-ymlAtuMrYVLiDHH1bZKrUC61A%3BFX_9SAId_tUz-yGirO1Op6c1AA%3BFc3DSAIdrE0z-yn9EwXQT_RLiDE4WRHF-UZ0Bw%3BFVlzRwIdg400-ykLvMqkOXVMiDG6IEtTWhoDXA%3BFUCTRgIdeR82-ymLe5DByHZMiDGppGAu1_tztA%3BFXcbRAIdH7E4-yk5clWUkGNMiDHUdjLM3CiT4Q&mra=pd&z=8. Any input on these? I should have written down the names as I don't remember them all now. They were vistas, camping, hiking, etc.

Pioneer Spirit
08-12-2011, 12:00
I can't specify any particular trails but maybe visit the sinks of gandy while there. It is a wild cave that is a stream that enters one side of a mountain and comes out the other side.I have been going down there on occasion for 35 years. Excellent area and I look forward to hearing your trip report.

Brewerbob
08-12-2011, 12:48
I can't specify any particular trails but maybe visit the sinks of gandy while there. It is a wild cave that is a stream that enters one side of a mountain and comes out the other side.I have been going down there on occasion for 35 years. Excellent area and I look forward to hearing your trip report.I've got a week to kill so I'll add it to the list. I just need a searchable map. The pdfs I downloaded won't let me search trail names and what-not.

Country Roads
08-13-2011, 19:08
Dolly Sods is to the north of Seneca Creek backcountry, although not much and Otter Creek Wilderness is at an angle to both of them. Lots of great hiking in the area! So far I have not had any problems with bears in Dolly Sods, Otter Creek or Seneca Creek. These areas are open to bear hunting. Hunters that use dogs are allowed to train the dogs year round (WV residents only); so I expect the bears really go out of their way to ovoid us. Only problems I have heard of occurred in 2007 in the Dolly Sods area. Several adult male bears where relocated from the Clarksburg area to "Tucker County" site not specified, but I expect it was the Sods. These bear would be habituated to people and would probably be problem bears, well at least until the bear season, then a bear that hangs out around humans would be bagged early. That said, I do try to hang my food well away from camp whenever possible. I have only seen 2 bears in the Sods; 1 in 2007 and 1 last year; both got outta Dodge pretty fast.

Brewerbob
08-17-2011, 10:10
Day 1
Spent most of the day just trying to find maps. Found them at the Seneca Rocks office. Pieced 4 different maps together due to the sectioning.
Had to stop for some groceries since we forgot the salami, cheese, peanut butter stuff. Replaced w/ 2 sticks of pepperoni and Monterey Jack. Peanut butter jar is larger too.
Reached the trail head about 6pm. About 1/4 mile in I remembered we left the walking poles at the truck. I went back for them.
At about half a mile in while heading to a rock for a rest, Aaron took a spill. Nothing injured but he was like an overturned turtle.
Only managed about 1.8 or 2.1 miles today. I'll check the map in the morning. While setting up camp, we scared up a snake. This was about an hr before sunset. I think he's rustling the bushes now. 9:23.
Aaron is watching the fire quietly. He was complaining earlier about the hike being too long.
Day 2
Woke in the earlier morning hrs to rain; dragged the backpacks inside the tent. Had a dream of a bear getting the food. Thought I heard rustling in the night but the food was unmolested. Mr. Snake did not come out to say goodbye. All packed and moving on. 9:26am
Day 2 con't
Travelled about 4 miles today. Went past one small set of falls. Had lunch there. Pepperoni and Monterey Jack on a bagel. Prior to that we had wild blueberries. Skipper came along but he was more interested in sniffing around than saying hello.
At the larger waterfall, it was decided that balls will be free from here on out. Went for a dip. Laundry was done too. Dinner will be Buffalo Chicken. 4:12
Day 3
Rain again last night. Once around dinner and then again in the night. Luckily it hasn't rained while packing or hiking.
Almost lost the trail at a river crossing. Just drying out the feet while typing. I need tie the little boy's shoe laces. 9:41
Decided to turn back. Past Fisher Creek Path. Going to take that out to the road. Aaron wants to head back home. My pack is getting lighter as we eat. His is staying the same. 11:51
Wrong turn. Ended up turning off of Fisher Run Trail. We are now on Wildlife Trail. This will dump us about 4 miles south of the truck on PR75. About 1 mile to PR 75. 2:30
Day 3 will be the end. Tomorrow we head home. We got off the trail at about 3. Left Aaron at the trail head and walked the 3.6 miles back to the truck solo.
Spent the next hour or so looking for a place to camp for the night that wouldn't require hiking. We're on Red Creek again. Further downstream. Had a sweet "cave" picked out but the tent wouldn't quite work out. I wanted it to work so bad but it just wasn't big enough for a two man tent. Within sight of the car parking tho so maybe next time with a shovel for some "remodeling"...
Keep feeling rain drops here and there. Rained on the way to the truck too. Not sure this place goes a day/night without at least 5 minutes of rain.
Anyway just sitting around the fire now. Aaron has decided he's a base camper; not a hiker. I only made 4 maybe 5 miles a day with him. But since my back has a dull ache I'm not complaining too much.
8:53