PDA

View Full Version : Juniper Springs weekend of the 23rd

vfherman
07-18-2011, 05:58
Finally caught up on my projects at home decided to go on my first overnight hike in years, and I mean years. I'm going to hike to Hidden Pond on Saturday and hike out on Sunday. Looking for others who may be interested. They charge for parking, which is secure, so to cut parking costs, we can take one vehicle.

Vinny a.k.a. Bonehead

moytoy
07-18-2011, 07:15
I wish I could, I'm stuck working in Miami for the next couple of weeks. I was in there a couple of weeks ago and the ticks were really bad. Ticks in Florida are no big deal just annoying. I tend to wear long pants because of them tho. I'm sure you will have a great time.

stars in her eyes
07-18-2011, 08:16
I've always loved that little section, but like moytoy, I'm stuck down south at work. Have fun!

Pages
07-18-2011, 09:15
enjoy your hike. IT WILL BE HOT AS HELL THERE THIS WEEKEND. bring plenty of water!

JaxHiker
07-18-2011, 11:13
enjoy your hike. IT WILL BE HOT AS HELL THERE THIS WEEKEND. bring plenty of water!
Amen! My buddies hiked from Alexander Springs to Hopkins earlier in the year and got horribly dehydrated. They went through their water and couldn't find or get to more.

Pages
07-18-2011, 12:19
there's only one water spot between juniper and hidden pond - a creek - should be okay because of all the rain. the only source i found at hidden pond is hidden pond itself. need a good pre-filter on your filter to get water out of this swampy soup.

as another said, it IS a beautiful hike - i just usually do it in january.

btw, hidden pond is a big rainbow group hangout. fyi for what it's worth.

JaxHiker
07-18-2011, 14:02
I thought the Rainbows were closer to Farles.

WingedMonkey
07-18-2011, 14:41
btw, hidden pond is a big rainbow group hangout. fyi for what it's worth.

They don't hike in any where, they require an emergency access road. By definition Juniper Wilderness has no roads. They don't do Ocala in the summer, they do Ocala in February.

chiefduffy
07-18-2011, 23:01
I'm planning to kayak the springs on 7/24...too durn hot to hike!!!

WingedMonkey
07-18-2011, 23:10
I'm planning to kayak the springs on 7/24...too durn hot to hike!!!

Most people don't paddle past the take out on State Road 19, if you have time continuing to the St. Johns River and then back to landing is a nice trip.

chiefduffy
07-19-2011, 23:06
Most people don't paddle past the take out on State Road 19, if you have time continuing to the St. Johns River and then back to landing is a nice trip.

How far is it to the river? I've often thought about paddling past the SR 19 bridge.

That area used to be one of the best swimming holes around, but it's pretty tightly controlled now.

WingedMonkey
07-19-2011, 23:40
How far is it to the river? I've often thought about paddling past the SR 19 bridge.

That area used to be one of the best swimming holes around, but it's pretty tightly controlled now.

It's about three more miles to the St. Johns. The Juniper gets quite wide and deeper and has less current as it goes east (still lots of gators). It comes out at the south-west corner of Lake George. There are some trails running off of the high sand bluffs on the south shore that are good to explore or camp.

moytoy
07-20-2011, 07:20
It's about three more miles to the St. Johns. The Juniper gets quite wide and deeper and has less current as it goes east (still lots of gators). It comes out at the south-west corner of Lake George. There are some trails running off of the high sand bluffs on the south shore that are good to explore or camp.
All good info WM, I may buy kayak just to explore more of the Florida wilds.

lilricky
07-20-2011, 08:25
I'm going to try to be out there this weekend, but I'll most likely start from Pat's Island Trailhead and hike the 3 miles to Hidden Pond going south, too hot for any more mileage than that for me!

dillard
07-20-2011, 08:51
I'll be up there this weekend, if your still looking for company send me a message for contact info. I am open to walking any part of the Ocala.

WingedMonkey
07-20-2011, 10:35
Not to tell any one what to do...I love Hidden Pond and the Juniper Prairie Wilderness. It has been my favorite place to hike in hunting season, since it is closed to hunting.
But...In July will be miserable there now. It has always been rough but now is almost unbearable. Since the place got all burned up after the prescribed fire in 2006 went out of control and burned nearly all 11,500 acres, and then another fire in 2009 started by a backpackers fire, (they were only ticketed since there was no fire ban) the place has close no shade.
New growth is started (sand pines only drop their seeds after fire) but it will be years before they offer any cover.
In July I would find another part of the Florida Trail on the Ocala, one of the sections with tall trees or better yet oaks. The deer flies and ticks will still eat you, but hey it is Florida.
:sun

lilricky
07-20-2011, 21:39
Well, its true there is no shade from 1 mile in from the parking area, to right before Hidden Pond, but there is plenty of shade at Hidden Pond and Crooked Sapling Pond campsites. And I usually get to the parking area around 5:30am-6am, so its a relative cool walk to the campsite. And to cool down during the day, I usually take a dunk into Hidden Pond, or go fishing in Crooked Sapling.

WingedMonkey
07-20-2011, 22:14
Well, its true there is no shade from 1 mile in from the parking area, to right before Hidden Pond, but there is plenty of shade at Hidden Pond and Crooked Sapling Pond campsites. And I usually get to the parking area around 5:30am-6am, so its a relative cool walk to the campsite. And to cool down during the day, I usually take a dunk into Hidden Pond, or go fishing in Crooked Sapling.

Yeah not as bad coming from the Pats Island parking.

Ladytrekker
07-20-2011, 22:46
Last time I hiked thru there, there were trees down and lying across the trail between Hidden Pond and Juniper. I actually prefer the section from Hopkins Prairie to Hidden Pond more. But I did see an Eagle, some sand hill cranes, and alligators. I will be kayaking the Oklawaha in August from Silver Sps to Gores to hot for me to hike so I kayak during the summer months. But will hit the trails in January. Have fun.

JaxHiker
07-21-2011, 13:35
My last hike was a workout. Horrible storm debris all over the place. I spent most of my time on my hands and knees crawling under crap or trying to crawl over it. I was worn out by the time I reached Hidden Pond. Hopkins to Salt Springs isn't bad.

WingedMonkey
07-21-2011, 13:58
We have to remember that Juniper Prairie is a designated Wilderness Area. Volunteers can't use chain saws or any other power equipment. Also if you have a good topo map there are many other areas to hike in the prairie on abandoned forest roads ans to other grass ponds, (where even more fallen trees await) and camping is allowed anywhere not just Hidden Pond.
For those that haven't been to Hidden Pond, the racoons are waiting for you...protect your food.

JaxHiker
07-25-2011, 10:50
We have to remember that Juniper Prairie is a designated Wilderness Area. Volunteers can't use chain saws or any other power equipment.
That wasn't the problem. Timing was. F-Troop was out the next week to clear the debris.

lilricky
07-25-2011, 19:49
We have to remember that Juniper Prairie is a designated Wilderness Area. Volunteers can't use chain saws or any other power equipment. Also if you have a good topo map there are many other areas to hike in the prairie on abandoned forest roads ans to other grass ponds, (where even more fallen trees await) and camping is allowed anywhere not just Hidden Pond.
You're partially right, however the local Forest Ranger can and will in 99% of serious trail blockage sign a waiver, allowing any and all use of power tools, including chainsaws.

WingedMonkey
07-25-2011, 22:29
You're partially right, however the local Forest Ranger can and will in 99% of serious trail blockage sign a waiver, allowing any and all use of power tools, including chainsaws.

This may be the case with some other National Forest Wilderness, but I'm unaware of this happening in the Juniper Prairie Wilderness (Ocala National Forest) for the purpose of clearing trails. I'm not aware of any "Local Forest Ranger" with that authority over the Wilderness Act of 1964.
Even after the tremendous destruction of the triple hurricanes to hit the state and the Florida Trail and Juniper Run canoe trail in 2004 only "traditional tools" were used in the huge effort to clear them in the Juniper Prairie.
Here is a informative article about that effort and the re creation of old time practices.

http://www.wilderness.net/toolboxes/documents/tools/Crosscut%20Saws/Juniper/Juniper%20Article2.pdf (http://www.wilderness.net/toolboxes/documents/tools/Crosscut%20Saws/Juniper/Juniper%20Article2.pdf)

Much thanks to the National Forest Service and all those Florida Trail volunteers (F-Troop).

dillard
07-26-2011, 21:04
Anyone else end up going out this past weekend? I took my little brother from Clearwater Lake to Juniper Springs and it was hot but a nice hike. I was really surprised how bad the ticks were though... even with Permethrin treated gaiters and DEET we each got half a dozen or more ticks on our legs.

chiefduffy
07-26-2011, 22:02
I had a nice, cool kayak run on Juniper Springs with a few friends. A few mosquitos when we stopped for lunch, two persistant horseflies and one spectacular banana spider were the only insects we encountered. Did see an otter, a giant crane, and lots of other wildlife. I"ll be hiking that area (and other areas in FLA) after Halloween.

JaxHiker
07-28-2011, 09:21
Chief, how long is the run? And what size boat would you recommend? I've got a 14' yak. Too big?

off-pher
07-28-2011, 12:07
Hey Jaxhiker Yes that's just to darn BIG!!! If it was 13' 11" then it would be OK.........
You won't have any problems with your 14 footer Plus it's a fun paddle have fun.

off-pher
07-28-2011, 12:09
Duh........... it's around 7-8 miles I think 2 1/2 to four hours...

chiefduffy
07-28-2011, 23:21
Yup, around 7 miles. Your kayak is doable, be prepared to hairpin it around a lot of obstacles. They rent big aluminum canoes, hilarious to watch them negotiate the tight spots. This run is the most fun of any in Florida that I know of. Get there early and you may have the whole run to yourself. You can arrange a shuttle from the take-out parking lot (hwy 19 bridge) with the park ranger($6.00) after you enter the park and drop off your boat. They dont allow disposable anything, so bring nalgenes and tupperware for lunch. Enjoy!!

I could probably be persuaded to run it again some Sunday morning if you want company.....

JaxHiker
07-29-2011, 16:05
Yup, around 7 miles. Your kayak is doable, be prepared to hairpin it around a lot of obstacles. They rent big aluminum canoes, hilarious to watch them negotiate the tight spots. This run is the most fun of any in Florida that I know of. Get there early and you may have the whole run to yourself. You can arrange a shuttle from the take-out parking lot (hwy 19 bridge) with the park ranger($6.00) after you enter the park and drop off your boat. They dont allow disposable anything, so bring nalgenes and tupperware for lunch. Enjoy!!

I could probably be persuaded to run it again some Sunday morning if you want company.....
That's what I was concerned about. But now that I took the Sawzall to it and shaved an inch I'm good! Thanks for the other tips, too.

I might just take you up on that. I'll have to see if I can skip church one Sunday. ;)