PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice for NH vacation

MattC
07-18-2011, 15:55
Hey everyone, me and my girlfriend booked a cabin on Lake Winnipesaukee for the last week of August and im looking for some advice on some day hikes around that part of the state. We will be staying near Wolfsboro, and we both want to find a hike that will summit a pretty high mountain. Were both from central Jersey so we havn't really had the opportunity to hike up a "real" mountain. Im basically looking for any mountain, close or within a reasonable drive (1 hour) that will give us a great vista, and put us at a high elevation. :) I just get so jealous seeing all those pictures in the gallery of the trail in NH and all those impressive mountains, we've hiked a decent amount of the AT and other trails around my area, but we both want something that will dwarf NJ's tiny mountains. :) any help would be amazing

Also any other advice about attractions in the area would be very helpful, mainly for the lady, because I plan on spending a lot of the time fish :):banana

Shutterbug
07-18-2011, 16:01
Hey everyone, me and my girlfriend booked a cabin on Lake Winnipesaukee for the last week of August and im looking for some advice on some day hikes around that part of the state. We will be staying near Wolfsboro, and we both want to find a hike that will summit a pretty high mountain. Were both from central Jersey so we havn't really had the opportunity to hike up a "real" mountain. Im basically looking for any mountain, close or within a reasonable drive (1 hour) that will give us a great vista, and put us at a high elevation. :) I just get so jealous seeing all those pictures in the gallery of the trail in NH and all those impressive mountains, we've hiked a decent amount of the AT and other trails around my area, but we both want something that will dwarf NJ's tiny mountains. :) any help would be amazing

Also any other advice about attractions in the area would be very helpful, mainly for the lady, because I plan on spending a lot of the time fish :):banana

If you are going to make the effort to climb a "real mountain", why waste your energy on any but the highest? Mt. Washington is the tallest mountain in New Hampshire and the Tuckerman's Ravine trail is one you will never forget. Someone just posted a report and some pictures of their climb. If you are fortunate enough to have a clear day, the views from the top are outstanding.

mooseboy
07-18-2011, 16:32
Shutterbug's suggestion is a good one! (my wife's parents live in Wolfeboro, so I've spent a deal of time up there.)Another idea is to drive up to Franconia Notch and take your pick of mountains to climb out of the notch. We hiked up to the Greenleaf Hut one day, but the fog was too thick to justify going farther that day. However, if you keep going from there you could summit Mt. Lafayette and walk the ridgeline (often shown in the spectacular pictures you mention), and loop back down to the Notch on the AT. Pick a clear day, though- not just for safety's sake, but if the summit is socked in, your only reward will be the vigorous exercise (and a thorough drenching of mist).And then of course on the other side of the Notch you have Lonesome Lake and Kinsman Mtn., a pretty tough climb. Also Mt. Moosilauke has a great summit views and the steepest section of AT (northern side) I'd ever care to attempt. Have a great hike!

k2basecamp
07-18-2011, 16:55
Within 1hr of wolfeboro you will find the sandwich range wilderness. Less crowds than the others but with 4000 ft peaks.Castle in the clouds in moultonborough has almost 50 miles of carriage rds. Mt. Shaw has a panoramiv view ofThe big lake. Hiker parking lot is free at the top of the water bottling plant rd which also is the exit roadFor the castle in the clouds (really just a mansion) if you just wanna hike and not pay big $ to tour the castle.

Snowleopard
07-18-2011, 16:57
The top of Mt. Washington is developed and has a road to the top, so, for me, the hike up is nicer than the top.
Spectacular hikes are:
Mt. Adams and/or Mt. Jefferson.
Franconia Ridge.
Closer, lower, but really nice for the effort is Mt. Chocorua.

peakbagger
07-18-2011, 17:39
There is another mountain range just south of the whites called the Ossipees that are quite nearby the Lakes region. There was a printed map but due to local politics it is no longer produced (but still quite useful). Here is a link that you look at or maybe print. The Castle in the clouds is in this range.

http://www.franklinsites.com/hikephotos/files/nhtrailbanditossipees.php.

I really dont recommend Washington or any of the big summits to people of unknown skills, yes they are spectacular but most folks find that they really are too long of a day. Try some of the smaller ones and if you have a good time them go for it but dont start out with big one. BTW, Mt Washington is impressive but the development on the top really s*cks. Mt Jefferson is longer drive but has similar views as MT Washington. Caps Ridge Trail starts on the highest public road in NH and gets above treeline in about a half hour. Even if you dont summit Cap ridge is spectacular. Most of the other summits have failry long approaches walking through the woods, this one skip most of the woods. Unfortunately its a longer drive north (but make a nice loop up Rt 16 and then back via 302, via Pinkham and Crawford Notches and you get to drive past the Mt Washington Hotel) Do note Cap ridge requires using your hands in spots climbing up rock outcroppings, families do it all the time but some folks just arent ready for it. While on top you will be on the AT and in the middle of the longest stretch of above treeline on the AT.

As mentioned Franconia Notch to the west is also spectacular and the Old Bridal Path, Franconia Ridge and Falling Waters hike is hard to beat for a loop hike that doesnt require a car spot. Its a 6 to 8 hour day for most folks and a long drive back to Wolfeboro.

Of course Mt Chocorua is a must climb. Its not a "big mountain" it just thinks its one. It has a alpine zone with some great open rock and 360 degree views. Its going to feel like a big mountain but is a far more reasonable day hike. Just drive up RT 16 and look for the Piper Trail (although I prefer the Champney Falls trail from the Kancamangus highway). I am not a fisherman but I see many folks flyfishing along the Kanc and its worth doing a big loop one day as it gets up high with great views of the southern Whites. Just search for these trail names and descriptions and directions should come up.

Kearsage North in North Conway is also a great hike with a small alpine zone and a restored fire tower on top, it sits back a bit from the main mass of the whites so it has great views. On a clear day you can see Sugarloaf and Abraham in Maine. Moat Moutain Brewery is right on the way and is worth a stop.

MattC
07-18-2011, 23:32
wow thanks for all the advice guys its all very helpful! im going to do a little more research on all these places, then run it by the old ball and chain...opps i meant the love of my life. :)