PDA

View Full Version : Things I remember - The good Not-so-new, but not-so-old Days....

Toolshed
07-18-2011, 18:59
I was reading some of the "Youtube" thread and it brought me back to the early 90's, I was still a young buck, but was at that age where the younger generation could no longer trust me.... :D

Anyways, I remember one lazy rainy fall Sunday afternoon when the Bills weren't winning where I flipped past PBS and found "Trailside" Make your own Adventure with John Viehman. Wow!!I was dumbstruck - A TV show about backpacking and gear. Form then on I would set the old VCR to Sundays at Whatever time (You physically had to select the day and time to turn on & Off, You couldn't select a show). "Course, it would be lost each week as I unplugged the VCR to plug in the vacuum cleaner...

Anyways that show morphed into Anyplace Wild, which was also pretty good. LOL...I remember rushing home on Sundays to try to catch the show live in the event the VCR conked out.

I remember my elation in the mid-90's when I got a VCR that allowed me to plug a number into it (from the TV section of the Sunday Paper) and it would automatically turn on at the appropriate time (Woo Hoo!!! Technology!!!). That's when my comfort level arose on not missing anymore shows.

I am just rambling, but I wonder if anyone else has thoughts of what life was like 20-30 years ago that we never think about in today's world...

Another Voila!!! was when I got my first campmor catalog. Wow, It was perfectly sized that I could slip it in my suit pocket (remember when everyone wore a suit) and instant bathroom reading material..
Or peruse it surreptitiously on my desk (before internet and back when the IBM X286 with a 10 meg hard drive was all the world!!! :D

snorz
07-18-2011, 22:42
I wonder if those shows are available somewhere? Also,I remember a documentary ,done by Backpacker magazine, showing thru-hikers through-out their trek.What I remember was the psychological pressures they withstood.

ki0eh
07-19-2011, 07:58
I don't remember that, the PBS signal was too feeble to reach our house in the hills east of the Finger Lakes. :)

sbhikes
07-19-2011, 10:12
I remember our TV was black and white and you had to get up and turn a knob to change the channels. We got two, sometimes three channels. Then my dad, who knew how to make electronic things, made a black box so we could get channel 100.

I also remember what it sounded like to dial a telephone. The 1 was short, the 9 was long. And that there was only one place in the house where you could sit and use the phone.

Toolshed
07-19-2011, 20:32
I don't remember that, the PBS signal was too feeble to reach our house in the hills east of the Finger Lakes. :)I grew up East of the Finger Lakes (But North Near Lake Ontario). How East were you?

Toolshed
07-19-2011, 20:38
I remember our TV was black and white and you had to get up and turn a knob to change the channels. We got two, sometimes three channels. Then my dad, who knew how to make electronic things, made a black box so we could get channel 100.

I also remember what it sounded like to dial a telephone. The 1 was short, the 9 was long. And that there was only one place in the house where you could sit and use the phone. The nice thing about growing up so close to Toronto was that with the flat lake, you could easily pick up Toronto, Hamilton, Kitchener and Mississauga television (and Radio Stations) even when Rochester and Buffalo were socked in. On Clear nights, When I was growing up I would go upstairs and look at the lights of Toronto and wonder if they had the CNE every night, they were so bright.... (sigh)

Mags
07-20-2011, 20:59
re: Trailside

I remember that show well. Really stoked my passion for the outdoors. I, too, remember the AT one. Saw it for the first time in 1996 and could not get the idea of THE TRAIL (The AT will always be THE TRAIL to me!) out of my head.

re: Programming VCRs

Always had an affinity for making electronics work. I remember that I was, more or less, the "Kid in the neighborhood who could program the VCR clock". :)

Ended up working in IT to pay the bills....

So it goes! :)

ki0eh
07-21-2011, 14:20
I grew up East of the Finger Lakes (But North Near Lake Ontario). How East were you?

Between Cortland and Ithaca. I used to go up a hill and (along with other activities on a hill :) ) listen to the CBC mono from Kingston on 107.5 MHz.

Pages
07-22-2011, 10:15
I watched trailside and later on, anyplace wild every sunday afternoon! loved it!

I still have a copy of the 2 parter trailside on the appalachian trail. they also did hiking in the smokeys and the whites.

i still watch the trailside AT video when i do a hiking video marathon. i have it on itunes if anyone wants a copy. it was shot in 1995, the year of the BIG AT craze. that was also the year a group of journalists from GA to ME hiked the trail in sections and wrote about it for their city papers. they later produced a fine coffee table book called "appalachian adventure."

Entropy2012
07-22-2011, 15:19
Ahh... the good old days when blu-ray was new. :cool:

Mags
07-22-2011, 15:32
that was also the year a group of journalists from GA to ME hiked the trail in sections and wrote about it for their city papers. they later produced a fine coffee table book called "appalachian adventure."

That book was the one that as much as anything inspired me to hike the AT!!!!

Great book...and one that is partially responsible for my current lifestyle.

Pages
07-23-2011, 13:42
still have my copy, mags. in great condition. just pulled it out about two weeks ago. some great pictures and text.

WingedMonkey
07-23-2011, 13:58
That book was the one that as much as anything inspired me to hike the AT!!!!

Great book...and one that is partially responsible for my current lifestyle.

I was hiking around that group of reporters in 1995. As different reporters did different sections the stories were published in their home newspapers. The buzz on the trail and in log books was about 50/50 between they are going to ruin the trail with all this publicity and people trying to get in the book.
Warren Doyle also had a group on the trail that year. They got about the same response. People loved them or hated them.

:sun