PDA

View Full Version : Wonderland Trail conditions

Marta
07-18-2011, 20:57
How is the snow melt going this year around Mt. Rainier? Has anyone been in the area recently?

Feral Bill
07-18-2011, 23:05
How is the snow melt going this year around Mt. Rainier? Has anyone been in the area recently? The MORA NP web site has detailed information. I expect the will be happy to update you by phone, as well.

Shutterbug
07-18-2011, 23:57
How is the snow melt going this year around Mt. Rainier? Has anyone been in the area recently?

Marta, the snow melt is 4 to six weeks later than normal. That means that most of the best camp sites are still under several feet of snow. The NPS repored today that the snow line is at 4,000 feet. Pan Handle Gap on the Wonderland Trail is just short of 7,000 feet, so there is still a lot of snow to melt.

The NPS says, "Many trails park-wide are under snow, if not in full, in part. The current snowline is around 4000 feet. The park experienced a very heavy snowfall this past winter (2010-2011) and melt-out is not expected until sometime in August."

The area around Longmire has melted out.
The Wonderland Trail from Longmire to Indian Henry's is only 20% covered.
From Indian Henry's to Golden Lakes the trail is 100% covered
From Golden Lakes to Mowich Lake the trial is 25% or less covered.
From Mowich Lake to the Carbon Glacier the trial is less than 20% covered but is icy west of Ipsut Pass
From Carbon Glacier to Dick Creek (One of my favorite camp) the trail is snow free.
From Dick Creek to Sunrise the trail is about 50% covered.
From Sunrise to Box Canyon the trail is more than 75% covered. This seciton includes Pan Handle Gap, the high point of the Wonderland Trail
From Box Canyon to Longmier is only 10% covered except for Reflection Lakes to Nardia Falls which is 100% covered.

For a report on all of the backcountry camps, visit http://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/trails-and-backcountry-camp-conditions.htm All of the Wonderland Trail camps are still 100% covered with snow except the ones on the south side.

This year, I will plan my Wonderland Trail hikes for late September or early October. I always prefer September for the Wonderland Trail, but this year I will probably delay to October.

Marta
07-19-2011, 06:55
Thanks! I broke my foot four weeks ago and have been trying to decide whether to attempt the hike in early August, which is when I have reservations. I had pretty much decided not to do it just based on the condition of my foot, but the addition of substantial snow travel to the mix clinches it.

Shutterbug
07-19-2011, 10:59
Thanks! I broke my foot four weeks ago and have been trying to decide whether to attempt the hike in early August, which is when I have reservations. I had pretty much decided not to do it just based on the condition of my foot, but the addition of substantial snow travel to the mix clinches it.

It has been my experience that permits are easier to get after Labor Day. Typically, the weather is great in September and most of October, but this has been an unusual year. Some are predicting a "late summer" which would merely push the great weather to later in the year. Other's think we are just missing summer this year. The temperatures here are in the 50's this morning. The record levels of snow coupled with the cool weather make your decision a good one.

Plan your trip for the end of Septemeber and I might see you there.

RockDoc
07-19-2011, 23:56
I spent 2 days at Longmire (July 10-11) hiking local trails and you get into deep snow drifts between 4000 and 4500 ft.
Above that it's 100% cover.
The weather this week has been cool (50's-70's), so melting is not very fast.
It might be possible to do the Wonderland trail say, in mid August to Sept.
Too bad for those that booked itineraries that they can't use.
I wouldn't try it now, even with snowshoes.

Shutterbug
07-30-2011, 13:36

I visited Mt. Rainier National Park yesterday and hiked parts of the Wonderland Trail in two places, Mowick Lake (northeast) and Sunrise (northwest). The camps at both locations are still under several feet of snow. The snow on the trail has melted to the 5,500 to 6,000 foot level depending on the amount of shade. The snow levels are typical of what would be expected for mid-May. I suspect that parts of the Wonderland Trail won't melt out at all this year.

Sometimes a picture is worth a lot of words. This is a picture of the camp site at Mowich Lake.

Hot Cheese
07-31-2011, 10:59
Thanks for the updates Shutterbug. We have late August permits and it sounds like it may not even be fully melted out by then? What are your thoughts?

Hot Cheese

Shutterbug
07-31-2011, 11:51
Thanks for the updates Shutterbug. We have late August permits and it sounds like it may not even be fully melted out by then? What are your thoughts?

Hot Cheese

The Wonderland Trail definitely won't be fully melted out by then. In fact, I am confident that the section between Summerland and Indian Bar won't melt out this year. That is the section over Panhandle Gap. Still, I am sure the route will be marked with flags and you will be able to make it if you have crampons. Most of the rest of the trail should be melted out by then.

Hot Cheese
07-31-2011, 13:56
Thanks again for the quick input, Shutterbug. I am reconsidering my plans for the Wonderland. The idea of adding winter gear (crampons etc) to my pack is causing me to rethink. My crampons also need boots with bails and those boots are heavy. We might try again next year. Now to try and figure out what other 2 week hike I can plan for this year. I will keep an eye on the conditions report for Wonderland, maybe a long high heat streak will help the melt along . . . one can hope. :)

Shutterbug
07-31-2011, 16:54
Thanks again for the quick input, Shutterbug. I am reconsidering my plans for the Wonderland. The idea of adding winter gear (crampons etc) to my pack is causing me to rethink. My crampons also need boots with bails and those boots are heavy. We might try again next year. Now to try and figure out what other 2 week hike I can plan for this year. I will keep an eye on the conditions report for Wonderland, maybe a long high heat streak will help the melt along . . . one can hope. :)

You might consider using Microspikes or Yaktraks. I agree that wearing the heavy boots would take a lot of the fun out of the hike. In the past, I have used Yaktraks on Panhandle Gap and they have been enough.

I wouldn't give up on the Wonderland Trail. Even if you can't do the east side, the rest of the trail is worth doing. Two of my favorite camp sites are on the west side -- Kaplatchi Park and Golden Lakes are two of the prettiest camp sites you will find anywhere. Here are pictures from those camps from last summer.

ChinMusic
07-31-2011, 18:33
I would think Microspikes, Stabilicers, or even YakTraks (the Pro version) would be fine with your trail runners. My daughter and I just went through a good deal of snow in Yosemite. Traction devices were needed in the morning (hard and icy) but by mid day the snow was just fine without the traction devices. I do now know if the Wonderland is steeper. Crampons would be serious overkill unless this trail is more wicked than I imagine.

HeartFire
07-31-2011, 23:57
Shutterbug, are bear cans needed on the Wonderland trail? Are they a good idea? As much as I hate lugging it around due to it's weight, it does prove useful. I'm hiking just after Labor day. ThanksJudy

Shutterbug
08-01-2011, 00:35
Shutterbug, are bear cans needed on the Wonderland trail? Are they a good idea? As much as I hate lugging it around due to it's weight, it does prove useful. I'm hiking just after Labor day. ThanksJudy

HeartFire, bear cans are not needed. Every camp site has a bear pole. You are likely to see a black bear to two, but if a bear raids a campsite, the Rangers relocate it. I have never known anyone who lost food to a bear on the Wonderland Trail, but from time to time the Rangers post signs reminding people to use the bear poles.

The camps where you are most likely to see bears are Summerland, Indian Bar and Kaplatchi Park.

HeartFire
08-01-2011, 15:58
HeartFire, bear cans are not needed. Every camp site has a bear pole. You are likely to see a black bear to two, but if a bear raids a campsite, the Rangers relocate it. I have never known anyone who lost food to a bear on the Wonderland Trail, but from time to time the Rangers post signs reminding people to use the bear poles.

The camps where you are most likely to see bears are Summerland, Indian Bar and Kaplatchi Park.

Thank you, Thank you,

you just made my pack 2#9oz lighter - big smile on my face.
Judy

SweetAss03
08-02-2011, 00:54
The latest park numbers came out today (8/1/11) show a significant amount of snow loss throughout most of the trail although some of the numbers didn't change much.I leave from Sunrise on the 11th hoping to see somemore significant losses as the weather continues to be sunny.

Shutterbug
08-02-2011, 15:53
The latest park numbers came out today (8/1/11) show a significant amount of snow loss throughout most of the trail although some of the numbers didn't change much.I leave from Sunrise on the 11th hoping to see somemore significant losses as the weather continues to be sunny.

I am sure you noticed that the first two campsites (Summerland and Indian Bar) if you head clockwise are still pretty much covered with snow. If I planned to camp there, I would take a hammock rather than a tent. The footnote on the web site says that route finding between Summerland and Indian Bar is difficult. In past years, the NPS has frequently marked the trail in that area with flags, but I don't know about this year.

If the weather stays good, I will hike to Summerland this Thursday. If I make it, I will post a trip report.

I assume you saw the note that was dated 7/26/11 concerning the Summerland to Indian Bar Section: "Expert navgation skills need to walk this section. Large cornices at Panhandle Gap. Ice axe The bridge over the Ohanapecosh River at Indian Bar is piled high with a 8 foot overhang of snow. Do not attempt to cross."

They say "Do not attempt to cross" but do not suggest an alternate route. If you can't cross the bridge at Indian Bar, I guess you will have to ford the river. That river isn't ordinarily very deep, but it is swift. Here is a picture of that bridge during a "normal" summer.

Shutterbug
08-04-2011, 18:35

The NPS reports that as of 7/28/11, only two hikers have completed the Wonderland Trail. The report didn't identify them. Here is a link: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/08/03/1770415/buried-in-snow-many-mount-rainier.html

Shutterbug
08-12-2011, 00:08

I did a day hike on the Wonderland Trail today and had an opportunity to talk to several people who are currently hiking the trail. All reported that the trail is open and can hiked without any special equipment. There are still some snow fields to cross, but the NPS has marked the route with flags. Navigation is no longer a challenge.

SweetAss03
08-19-2011, 10:54
Finished it yesterday, no problems and no special gear. The MRNP website is somewhat accurate on snow amounts but maybe a little high on their % with the exception of Summerland to about 1.5 miles from Nickel Creek camp which is under snow making for about 8 miles of close to 100% snow walking. That being said we had no problems with navigation without any equipment. Pan Handle gap was kicked in and easy to traverse and follow.If you have reservations don't hesitate to go. I you want to go but don't have reservations call, there were many cancellations which is to bad because it really was nice. Our trip was 8 days...rain free and sun filled!

Shutterbug
08-19-2011, 11:57
Finished it yesterday, no problems and no special gear. The MRNP website is somewhat accurate on snow amounts but maybe a little high on their % with the exception of Summerland to about 1.5 miles from Nickel Creek camp which is under snow making for about 8 miles of close to 100% snow walking. That being said we had no problems with navigation without any equipment. Pan Handle gap was kicked in and easy to traverse and follow.If you have reservations don't hesitate to go. I you want to go but don't have reservations call, there were many cancellations which is to bad because it really was nice. Our trip was 8 days...rain free and sun filled!

Thanks for the report. The weather has turned out to be great for the past two weeks and is predicted to be the same for the rest of August. My son was able to get a permit for Summerland this week without prior reservations. He said there have been a lot of cancellations so permits are easy to get. For those who have flexibility, this is turning out to be a great year to hike the Wonderland Trail.