PDA

View Full Version : SNP Parking

Capt_Phil
07-18-2011, 22:44
My brother and I are hiking the SNP for the first time in Aug, and were wondering where the best and safest place to park my car, hike a few days, camp and then return to my car? I plan on leaving my car parked while we are hiking the AT for a few days, any help would be much appreciated.

jlb2012
07-19-2011, 04:39
pick an overelook and park the car on the side away from the view - make sure your backcountry permit has the right location for the overlook ie MP xx - then go hike - as to the actual hike - there are a bunch of choices for multiday loops or you can just hike out and back or out and hitch back

Rocket Jones
07-19-2011, 06:00
In the northern section you can park at the Elkwallow picnic area for a few days. Like HOI said, have it mentioned on your backcountry permit and it'll be fine.

Skid.
07-19-2011, 08:47
I've seen posts on here saying that the 4-H conference center at Front Royal issues passes to park there. There is a side trail that connects from there to the AT.

Capt_Phil
07-19-2011, 09:16
Sounds good and appriciate the info, how long does Jeremey's Run usally take folks? I was looking to just spend two nights there and from everything that I have been seeing online that would be the best since it has plenty of water and good camp sites.

BigRing
07-19-2011, 12:29
I have camped there. It can take a couple hours. I have never had any problems parking in the designated parking areas in SNP...sometimes for 5-6 nights.
Have fun!