PDA

View Full Version : Umbrellievable!!!

conburn
07-19-2011, 16:08
I really like the idea of hiking with an umbrella as I have learned from experience that I will get wet in my pricey goretex jacket eventually because I sweat like no ones business. I also like that it's cheap (granted not "durable") and light. I ordered a go lite dome and am really excited to get some use out of it....but that brings up some questions that I have....Is there anyone that has used an umbrella for the length of the AT? Did it survive, or did you use more than one? Did you use other raingear with it? Thanks in advance!!!!

Nutbrown
07-19-2011, 16:10
I've never used one, but why not. If you don't mind lugging it, than go for it. Watch out for lightning though!

DLANOIE
07-19-2011, 16:21
I have always wanted to try it, but the AT in Maine isnt exactly umbrella friendly. Too many places you need your hands free. Could you rig it between your back and backpack so you could still use trekking poles?:-?

Toli
07-19-2011, 16:30
I really like the idea of hiking with an umbrella as I have learned from experience that I will get wet in my pricey goretex jacket eventually because I sweat like no ones business. I also like that it's cheap (granted not "durable") and light. I ordered a go lite dome and am really excited to get some use out of it....but that brings up some questions that I have....Is there anyone that has used an umbrella for the length of the AT? Did it survive, or did you use more than one? Did you use other raingear with it? Thanks in advance!!!!

3 Dog Thru Hikes, 2 more solo and NEVER had anything but a GoLite umbrella... Never leave home without it...12869

TheTwanger
07-19-2011, 16:38
Could you rig it between your back and backpack so you could still use trekking poles?:-?
......ingenious

Llama Legs
07-19-2011, 16:56
If you're using trek poles and an umbrella, you'll want a well tested rig to attach it to your pack. I always use an umbrella in Florida - but last year I did not on the AT (used trek poles).

conburn
07-19-2011, 17:03
That's awesome Toli! Did you use poles at all, or rig it up like the others have mentioned? Also, when did you start/finish ? As for a rig, duck tape comes to mind....

Toli
07-19-2011, 17:14
That's awesome Toli! Did you use poles at all, or rig it up like the others have mentioned? Also, when did you start/finish ? As for a rig, duck tape comes to mind....

Shaaaa... Did you not see my poles to the right of my pack??? lol...If its raining SO hard I need my umbrella, I just stow my poles til later... If I can stow my umbrella, Believe, I can stow my poles... Never left later than April 15th... Duct tape??? NEVER leave home without it...

mountain squid
07-19-2011, 17:31
I used an umbrella from Damascus to Katahdin (Had a wind shirt also. The wind shirt and umbrella were the same weight as the poncho I got rid of). Would not use it thru the Whites again however. It became inverted once and I just didn't use again. I survived OK in the Whites with my wind shirt and fleece jacket.

I was able to rig it to my shoulder strap with it resting on my head. Duct tape does not sound like a good idea. I used a velcro thingy and a buff tied in a knot around the handle and around the shoulder strap (needed two secure points to prevent it from just flopping over). It worked for me and I could continue to use my hiking poles.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

bobqzzi
07-19-2011, 18:40
I believe they make umbrellas that have a head band on them. That is not an endorsement, just an observation.

Sly
07-19-2011, 18:50
I believe they make umbrellas that have a head band on them. That is not an endorsement, just an observation.

Such as this?

sbhikes
07-19-2011, 19:00
I used an umbrella on the PCT. I found it in the trash in Kennedy Meadows. It had a few holes so I patched them with duct tape. I attached the umbrella with two pieces of shock cord on my left shoulder strap. A third point of contact was made by tying the loop of cord on the handle of the umbrella to the extra webbing of my hip belt. I could walk hands-free and use my trekking poles. If it was really windy, I would have to hold the front of the umbrella with one or two hands. Not a big deal. I'm sure the PCT is way windier than the AT.

I used the umbrella for the entire rest of the trail and then some. So the umbrella has gone the entire length of the PCT. Most of that time it wasn't deployed, however.

I used it for sun and for rain. Because of the umbrella I never bring a rain jacket. My last hike I accidentally forgot the umbrella so I had no umbrella or rain jacket. I learned you can use a ground sheet pretty well.

Iceaxe
07-19-2011, 20:35
I got about as many questions and strange looks for having an umbrella as i did for having a tiny pack.
I used an all plastic Golite Chrome dome for the AT this year.
Some Observations:
*The umbrella did not actually keep me dry during heavy rain storms or storm with any amount of wind.
*The umbrella did allow me to stay cool while hiking hard in the rain.
*My umbrella eliminated the shock of being pelted in the head by hail or raindrops and this was actually a great psychological boost well worth the 8 ounces for me.
*The psychological boost associated with not being "hood bound" in a rain shell and having a full view of the world on a rainy day is sublime.
*My umbrella did invert in heavy wind but no damage was done.
*Stories of umbrellas being shredded on the AT never came true for me. However i began in mid March so perhaps the foliage later on would make a diff.
*I never had a problem holding my umbrella. i never attached it to my shoulderstrap as i preferred to be able to shift it right or left for branches, changing winds, etc.
*For those times I put one trekking pole away and used one pole in a hand and the umbrella in the other. It really was no major dilemma for me but it was the second most asked question,
*The umbrella made a great door/vestibule for my open ended MLD Patrol Shelter Tarp by stuffing it under the beak and popping it open.
*When people would see my tiny pack they would ask if i had a tent.. I began to reply simply: "Nah.. I sleep under this umbrella." End of conversation. It was hilarious!
*I would not depend on my umbrella and windshirt combo to protect me in winter time conditions but for summertime, humid AT rain it was the "cat's meow".
*The main purpose of my umbrella/windshirt combo was not to stay completely dry. It merely slowed the exchange of cold sleet/rain water with the warm water already in my clothes.
*Taking a poo in the rain in the woods is awesome under an umbrella. You feel like you can take all day if you like.. it's like getting away with something!

I wont try and convince anybody that conventional rain gear doesn't work. Maybe it does for you. Everytime i put on expensive "WPB" rain jackets i end up soaking wet from condensation
and sweat. Most of the time my umbrella was useless on the AT. Many times i simply walked in the rain sans protection.
Anyhow here is my umbrella and i at the end of the journey.

Blissful
07-19-2011, 21:00
My son used his for over half the trail. When it broke about a month laer, it was under warranty and Rockfish Gap Outifitters replaced it (they are super with warranty issues).

Deadeye
07-19-2011, 21:31
I haven't thru'd, but my experience of many week long hikes over the years with an umbrella is much the same as Iceaxe's. An umbrella is IMHO absolutely worth the 8 ounces. Combined with a frog togg rain jacket and a superlight windshirt, it give you many options to suit a variety of conditions. Usually starts a lot of conversations, too - just don't turn into an umbrella proselytizer. I've also never shredded mine, as some claim to have done (I often wonder if those claims are imaginary..), I find the trick is to hold the brolly loosely, so it will roll around anything it catches on. I've used a Golite and a collapsible model from Walmart with equal success. YMMV

conburn
07-19-2011, 22:03
Thanks everybody for your input and experiences with this. I am going to be dreaming of defecating under my golite in the rain until my next hike presents me with this rare treat. I do love a good bowel movement, so thanks for sharing Iceaxe. As far as a windshirt goes, any suggestions?

Iceaxe
07-19-2011, 22:10
There are probably many lighter options but i like my Marmot wind shirt. However for the AT i had a cuben fiber, non breatheable windshirt. I really missed my marmot on the AT. I think there are many much lighter wind shirt options out there these days. I am sure someone will chime in on the latest and greatest.