PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes Sleeping Bags

Sierra Echo
07-19-2011, 22:40
Does anyone own one? I'm thinking about purchasing this one:

http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Bag/crossmountain45

But I have never used Big Agnes products. I have decided I hate mummy bags and this is the lightest rectangular synthetic bag that I can find.

DBT fan
07-19-2011, 22:54
The biggest drawback for me is its difficult to sit upright in the Big Anges bag since the bag fits inside the sleeping bag. That might not matter to you.

Sierra Echo
07-19-2011, 23:10
The biggest drawback for me is its difficult to sit upright in the Big Anges bag since the bag fits inside the sleeping bag. That might not matter to you.

The bag fits inside of the bag??? What do you mean??

Chomp09
07-19-2011, 23:32
I think DBT Fan meant to say that the sleeping pad is intended to fit inside the sleeping bag.

Sierra Echo
07-19-2011, 23:37
Oh ok! LOL
I would most likely just use my sleeping pad instead of buying on of theirs. I couldn't imagine why that would work just fine.

Sierra Echo
07-19-2011, 23:38
I meant to say why that wouldnt work just fine~!

4Bears
07-19-2011, 23:45
SE the BA sleep system is based on only insulation on the top of the bag and a sleave to stick theirs or any sleep pad into, you might find more flexibility in a quilt if you find mummies to confining. I have a mummy bag that I just use as a quilt for that reason.

Sierra Echo
07-20-2011, 00:00
SE the BA sleep system is based on only insulation on the top of the bag and a sleave to stick theirs or any sleep pad into, you might find more flexibility in a quilt if you find mummies to confining. I have a mummy bag that I just use as a quilt for that reason.

Can you recommend a good site to look at quilts?

YohonPetro
07-20-2011, 11:10
I got the BA Grouse Mt with my REI dividends and loved it. Then my girl-friend got us the 2-person BA for my bday, and I also love it! very good bags, I am totally sold after using their products backpacking a few times. :-)

bigmac_in
07-20-2011, 13:29
Hi Echo !

I have two BA bags. A 15 degree synthetic and a 30 degree down. I love them. I would recommend using their aircore pad. I switched to BA because I found my mummy bag too confining and I wasn't sleeping well. With their rectangular bag and the aircore pad I sleep like a baby on the trail now. I bought the 30 degree bag to lighten my load in warmer weather.

I would highly recommend going to the "specials" section of the BA website. They always have several bags on closeout, or sales samples. I bought both of mine this way and saved a lot of money.

Big Mac

4Bears
07-21-2011, 06:37
Can you recommend a good site to look at quilts?

Sierra, a place to start is www.jacksrbetter.com (http://www.jacksrbetter.com) from what I have read they make a quallity product. If you are handy with a sewing machine you can make one as well check out www.backpackinglight.com (http://www.backpackinglight.com)

Bloomer
09-04-2011, 13:49
Just bought the BA Grouse Mnt long w/ BA insulated long pad through REI Labor Day sale and with my dividend I saved $120... Ready to do some winter backpacking now