PDA

View Full Version : Purple things hanging in trees

Panzer1
07-19-2011, 23:27
Hay,

have you seen those purple things hanging in trees. They are some king of stickey paper used to trap insects and other small critters. They have been turning up all over the place. Something about the Emerald Ash Borer.

Panzer

emerald
07-20-2011, 00:37
http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=320415

ALLEGHENY
07-20-2011, 01:21
Emerald ash borer (http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=320416) Hichhiked here with all that cheep crap from China!

BUY MADE IN USA!

Jeff
07-20-2011, 05:40
Read somewhere they need to be taken down and replaced each year.

peakbagger
07-20-2011, 06:56
The depressing thing is that there is no known treatment for EAB (except for individual trees). The traps are only to indicate that they have moved into an area. The EAB is arguably 100% effective in killing ash trees and the current predictions are the Ashs will go the way of the Chestnut in the East. I was reading a forestry publication a few years back and the recommendation was plan to cut all ashes before the EAB reaches the landowners property. I have seen some estimates that the extinction for ash will be in less than 30 years.

Nutbrown
07-20-2011, 08:31
I just read an article in Time Mag about the Forestry service releasing stingless wasps, who are the natural enemy to the EAB. Hope it works. I was just in an area in Va where the Wooly adlaid (sp?) has killed all of the Hemlock trees. They can be saved also, but only on a tree to tree basis. Sad.

Pedaling Fool
07-20-2011, 08:50
Well, as long as they don't eat aluminum... (http://www.baseball-bats.net/baseball-bats/baseball-bat-materials/index.html)

Country Roads
07-21-2011, 19:21
They are slowly moving all over WV, especially the southern counties; sad, very sad.

Cosmo
07-22-2011, 17:48
They are called "Barney Boxes", after the cartoon character. There are billboards in both NY and MA discouraging people from bringing wood from one state to the other. They are a little ambiguous to most citizens, but it refers to moving fire wood (sometimes sold in bundles as "camp wood" near parks) from one area to the other. Either burn it all at your camp, or leave it there. Like most efforts to control invasives, it will probably do little good in the long run--except in very small, easily monitored and controlled areas. They cut down all the trees in whole neighborhoods in Worchester last year when they found asian long horn beetles there. To paraphrase: "the woods they are a-changin'".

vamelungeon
07-23-2011, 05:20
Like white nose syndrome among bats and the spread of invasive aquatic plants, the people spreading these things couldn't care less. They consider any precautions an inconvenience.

moytoy
07-23-2011, 06:22
Bug traps hanging in trees are a method used to track the progress of the spread of the beatle, fly, bug or whatever. A researcher will check the trap every so often to determine if the pest is present. So just because you see the trap hanging in trees doesn't mean the pest is present. I have an Orange tree in my yard that had a trap for years that someone would check every now and again.

johnnybgood
07-23-2011, 08:57
The "Barnry boxes " have been in SNP for 3 years and so far no EAB trapped. I suspect those invasive stink bugs are being monitored also.

Tipi Walter
07-23-2011, 11:20
Remember, it was New York businessmen, clever little monkeys, who brought in the chestnut blight.

DogPaw
08-24-2011, 09:01
Ugh. You think we would have learned our lesson the FIRST time we wiped out the forests. Just goes to show you how bad half of humanity's ideas are.