PDA

View Full Version : ITBS advice

ssforcey
07-20-2011, 09:27
We are planning a 3 day section hike on the AT. In the past I have had pretty bad ITBS pain. I got a strap for the next time and still felt a decent bit of pain and KNEW if I hiked farther the pain would get close to unbearable. We are planning on another AT section hike in about 12 weeks. There is really is no pain when we're on a flat surface OR going up. The pain is when I'm walking downhill and the pains are sharp.

My questions:

-Should the band be worn at the beginning of the hike or when the pain starts?

-Anti-inflamatory before starting the hike or when the pain starts?

Seems like the answer to both of these is before but just wanted to check with you guys.

Thanks a bunch.

John B
07-20-2011, 13:17
I'd suggest that you check out the ITBS forum at Runners World -- it's a fairly common injury faced by many runners and there is a lot of good info to be gained.

http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/injury-prevention/injuries/itbs-support-group

If I had 12 weeks to prepare, I'd do a lot of foam rolling (at least 2X/day), static stretching specific to ITB (there are video links at Runners World to help you learn them), and exercises designed to strengthen the hip adductors and flexors (again, check out RW).

Personally I haven't seen any good data that bands (Cho Phat, etc) work -- the "Health" section of the NY TIMES did a review of medical studies on the issue -- but on the other hand, they probably don't hurt.

Hiking poles can be a big help -- you might try them if you're not already using.

After training, I'd definitely use "ICE" -- ice, compression, elevation. I like loading up the old fashioned English ice bags and strapping them to my knees with an ACE bandage.

Some argue for foot inserts as a way of circumventing foot pronation. Again, from the medical studies reviewed by the NYT and in Runners World, not much evidence in support.

Give yourself some time to heal. If you're a runner, swimming as cross training, particularly with a kick board, can be a big help.

Good luck.

flemdawg1
07-20-2011, 17:58
A bit of running or walking in hills (esp down) would be good training. A younger guy and myself hiked together in GA last April, myself that runs at home with alot of hills had a much easier time than my friend who trained in FL.

map man
07-21-2011, 00:11
I don't know what strap you are using but I have had good luck with the Cho-Pat dual action knee strap in preventing ITBS trouble. I wear them all the time (right from the first minute I start hiking) when I'm hauling a full-blown backpack though I often don't when I 'm just using a day pack. I also take ibuprofen before I start walking and every six hours while I'm walking (but just the 200 mg dose). Running in recent years has helped too, but I still wouldn't backpack without my Cho-Pats. My first backpacking trip almost ended after a week because of ITBS pain, but then I tried the knee straps the next time out and I've been ok ever since.

ssforcey
07-21-2011, 10:50
Thanks for all the info. I think I will focus on the "foam rolling".