PDA

View Full Version : Sign Of The Times

Mother Natures Son
07-20-2011, 18:20
I went for a short hike through the local game lands (PA) yesterday and I was shocked. Most of the trails have seen little or no maintaince for a long time. The state use to do this work but not any longer. Has anyone run into problems with other trails in other states?

vamelungeon
07-20-2011, 18:29
Local trails here in SWVA on National Forest property are under-maintained. A Forest Service employee said they just don't have the funds to do it all.

DapperD
07-20-2011, 18:55
From what I have read and understand the state of Pennsylvania's finances are not very good right now. I think this is just one thing that right now would be cut financially from their budget:-?.

Stats 2012
07-20-2011, 18:57
You get what you pay for!

Slosteppin
07-20-2011, 19:13
We have a different result - over 30 State Forest campgrounds have been closed. We can still camp but toilet doors have been bolted shut and pump handles removed. Most trails are only maintained by volunteers.

ALLEGHENY
07-20-2011, 19:21
"From what I have read and understand the state of Pennsylvania's finances are not very good right now. I think this is just one thing that right now would be cut financially from their budget:-?. "

Another reason Governor Corbett Should tax the Marcellus Gas Industry who are destroying our forest lands.

boarstone
07-20-2011, 19:24
kwitchyabitchn....volumteer to clean'em up!

The Solemates
07-21-2011, 16:42
not sure about other states because i dont tend to hike on game lands (and not many states have lands specifically designated for just hunting) - but PA is like this every year. I've hiked there in the summer, and the trails are always overgrown. the same trails in the fall/winter - easily navigable and hand been recently bushwhacked on either side of the trail. seems they only cut them once a year (give or take) - and that time happens to be just before the hunters arrive.

Carl in FL
07-21-2011, 18:28
Isn't Autumn when you'd expect trails to be cut back?

hikerboy57
07-21-2011, 18:36
This question annoys me.Although my schedule doesnt allow me to formally volunteer for trail maintenance, I will do my part when hiking when i see something that needs attending to. No I dont carry an ax or saw, but I will remove downed branches and trim some of the brush away, replace dislodged stones, etc, and I donate to both the ATC and the NY NJ trail conference.
For the most part, all it takes is a little from a lot. It always seems to me that everyones waiting for "someone else" to get something done.
If you care about something, take care of it.Just as local trail organizations rotinely do mainteneance, perhaps hunters and others could take over some of the burden of the state and create their own maintenance program. or perhaps they dont care.

restless
07-21-2011, 18:43
I work in Shenandoah NP in the Trails Division and we are currently cutting back summer vegetation. SNP is lucky in that they have paid trail staff to help keep the 500+ miles of trail in shape. That is not the case in every area, though. A lot of places depend substanially on volunteer effort to help maintain their trail systems and it seems that in the past few years, volunteer effort has dropped. In some places, such as Jefferson NF, Clinch Ranger District, volunteers are virtually non-existent. I would imagine this to be the case on Game Lands in Pa. Even here in the PArk, although PATC maintains many miles of trail, it is inconsistent with some volunteers being more active than others. So as another has said, get involved and volunteer in your favorite hiking locale. Volunteers always welcome and training is provided!

stars in her eyes
07-21-2011, 21:37
There are certain sections of the Florida Trail that have horrible maintenance due to lack of interest in the area. Other sections are incredibly well-maintained. It all chalks up to how strong a VOLUNTEER base a certain section has. Trails won't clear themselves!

You can do your part by packing out trash you find and tending campsites you stop at. If you want to do more, join the local crew.

wythekari
07-21-2011, 22:41
I just worked on a trail crew on a weekend in Ventana Wilderness (central CA coast). As usual it was volunteers led by USFS seasonal personnel. Difference this year was that USFS personnel were not paid but they were volunteers also - due to USFS budget pressures. They had radios to check in/out each day w/USFS region but they were like rest of us - just being out there b/c we like being in outdoors and trying to help maintain access. Budget issues at federal, state, and local level will drive even more maintenance to volunteers in future.