PDA

View Full Version : Any other 2012-ers hurting right now?

Stats 2012
07-20-2011, 19:50
I've been prepping for my 2012 thru for two years now. Until three months ago I was feeling great and growing stronger. Now everything is hurting. Feet, knees, hips, shoulders, ear lobes. I haven't done anything different or crazy.

I'll continue to work through it, but was wondering if anyone else has experienced any such setbacks? (No fair for you current thru-hikers chiming in. ;))

Storm
07-20-2011, 20:17
I was really doing great, had been training for a couple years also, walked over 1200 miles last year. Then in November I started to have back issues. After several tests, xray, mri, found that I had four deteriating discs and one herniated disc in my lower back. Went to therapy for 2 months with little or no relief. Then had two sets of epidural injections in my back. They didn't cure it but gave me enough relief that I could get back to normal activities. Over the winter I gained over 20 pounds and lost a lot of the strength I had gained. For an old guy it isn't easy to start over but I pushed through it. I have shed some of the weight and one day this past week walked for over ten miles with a pack. (only 15 lbs). I am still planning to be ready by April. My only hope is that I don't further injure my back so I am taking it slow and steady.

burger
07-20-2011, 20:49
Um, do you have Lyme disease?

stars in her eyes
07-20-2011, 23:28
I've been prepping for my 2012 thru for two years now. Until three months ago I was feeling great and growing stronger. Now everything is hurting. Feet, knees, hips, shoulders, ear lobes. I haven't done anything different or crazy.

I'll continue to work through it, but was wondering if anyone else has experienced any such setbacks? (No fair for you current thru-hikers chiming in. ;))

Have you been tested for Lymes recently?

Ah, just noticed someone else posted the same thing. Seriously though -- get thee to a doctor, stat.

LDog
07-21-2011, 12:39
get thee to a doctor, stat.

I gotta concur.

Stats 2012
07-21-2011, 21:49
Thanks for your concern and advice, but I'm pretty sure it's not Lyme. I'm not fatigued; no headaches, no fever, no chills, no stiff neck, no rash, no swollen glands. Just aching knees, sore feet, and stiff hips. I was joking about the ear lobes. :)

I think I'm just over-doing it and was wondering if others were experiencing similar setbacks. I'll discuss it with my doc, nonetheless. Thanks!

WingedMonkey
07-21-2011, 21:55
Just aching knees, sore feet, and stiff hips. I was joking about the ear lobes. :)

I'm gonna ask that rude question a polite person would avoid asking. Are you in a "healthy" weight range for hiking?

bikerhiker10
07-22-2011, 02:55
The hardest part of a training regimen is rest. Everyone can go out and train and train and train, but to know how much you need to rest is the key to getting stronger. During the rest periods is when you get stronger. The training tears the muscles apart and then they are repaired and come back more robust after rest.

You probably just need to take a little time off because you are overtrained, and then ease back into hiking again. You can also try some cross-training like swimming which is totally non-impact to increase your cardio.

R00K
07-22-2011, 08:49
I started about two years ago also, since then I injured a tendon in my foot, reactivated my osgood-schlatter in my knees, injured my knee, and I think that's about it. What did I learn? Good hiking shoes/boots are absolutely crucial, and I have to suck it up and always pack knee supports of some kind (usually fine with lightweight stabalizers) on every trip. I also learned that backpacking is hard on the body and things are gonna strain, even if you know what you're doing - people trip up, pull something.

To me a thu-hike is about getting from point A to point B and really finishing something you start.

And now I think it might be more rewarding for the challanges you overcome than the scenic overlooks in the end.

R00K
07-22-2011, 08:52
To me a thu-hike is about getting from point A to point B and really finishing something you start.

Oh - I almost forgot - see you out there!

Pedaling Fool
07-22-2011, 09:07
What's your basic workout regimen?

Maybe you should do something different. Someone mentioned over-doing it. I know that problem since I have a tendency to over-do it. I've found that when I do that it's best to switch to something else for a while and take it easy. Whatever you do, don't STOP, just switch it up a little and take it easy.

Also I wouldn't worry so much about building cardio capacity, that is one aspect of your fitness that really is easy to build up during your hike. What isn't easy to build as you go is your skeletal system, especially the joints/tendons/legiments. That's why weight training is such a good thing. But also things like skipping rope...which will also build cardio, but that's just a consolation prize, it's all about the skeletal system.

sbhikes
07-22-2011, 10:14
Don't forget to rest. If all you do is work yourself hard, you won't have the recovery part of working out. It's during recovery that you get stronger. Ease up on yourself, too. Some folks say that slow workouts can do even more for you than hard ones.

Stats 2012
07-24-2011, 22:38
I'm gonna ask that rude question a polite person would avoid asking. Are you in a "healthy" weight range for hiking?

Yes, I think so. In the past two years I've lost 60 pounds to get ready for my thru. I'm 190 lbs at 6' 0". The plan is to lose another 15 before March 13. Good question.

Stats 2012
07-24-2011, 22:44
The hardest part of a training regimen is rest. Everyone can go out and train and train and train, but to know how much you need to rest is the key to getting stronger. During the rest periods is when you get stronger. The training tears the muscles apart and then they are repaired and come back more robust after rest.

You probably just need to take a little time off because you are overtrained, and then ease back into hiking again. You can also try some cross-training like swimming which is totally non-impact to increase your cardio.

Yes, usually when I feel the strain of working out I take a day "off" and swim a couple miles. It has been very recuperative for me, but I am away from a pool this summer and I miss it.

I'm not sure I'm overtraining. If anything, I seem to not want to push myself as much and I find my workouts are not as rigourous. While I am accustomed to working out every day, I've taken some days off and seem to feel better during my workouts.

Thanks!

Stats 2012
07-24-2011, 22:50
I started about two years ago also, since then I injured a tendon in my foot, reactivated my osgood-schlatter in my knees, injured my knee, and I think that's about it. What did I learn? Good hiking shoes/boots are absolutely crucial, and I have to suck it up and always pack knee supports of some kind (usually fine with lightweight stabalizers) on every trip. I also learned that backpacking is hard on the body and things are gonna strain, even if you know what you're doing - people trip up, pull something.

And now I think it might be more rewarding for the challanges you overcome than the scenic overlooks in the end.

I'm in the same boat. I love hiking, but it has always been hard work for me. Exhilarating, but difficult. I see some on the trail who hardly seem to notice the 3000' climb I'm on, and wonder if they are hurting, too or just to macho to show it.

I find that I am drawn to what's just around the next bend or the next peak. I am definately out there for the scenery and adventure of it all.

See you there, too! When will you hit the trail?

Blissful
07-24-2011, 22:51
Best workout is to get out and hike every day. Which you will do soon enough on the trail.

The first day going to Springer in '07 I had a thigh go out and a bad foot.

I made it.

You will too

Stats 2012
07-24-2011, 23:00
What's your basic workout regimen?

For the past two years I've worked out every morning for two hours. My regimen has changed as I've lost weight and my departure date nears, but typically I'm on a cross-country trainer for an hour, inclined treadmill for an hour, swim for an hour, and lift weights for 1.5 hours. I mix up the above, usually doing two each day. (I've been doing less swimming as the hike nears.) I end each workout with stretching, but often it's never enough.

The only thing I can't do is the real jarring stuff like running, jumping rope, basketball, tennis, etc. My knees can't take the impulse pounding. I am most concerned about my knees on the Trail. Two surgeries, arthritis, no cartlidge. It is likely to be my last hurrah before knee replacement surgery. I hope they hold out.

Stats 2012
07-24-2011, 23:03
Best workout is to get out and hike every day. Which you will do soon enough on the trail.

The first day going to Springer in '07 I had a thigh go out and a bad foot.

I made it.

You will too

Blissful, I really appreciate your words. The last two simple lines were quite powerful for me to read. Thanks!