PDA

View Full Version : CT Databook needs MUCH more data!

300winmag
07-20-2011, 21:44
I've found the CT Databook doesn't show side trails and other important info.

EX. Segment 22. The "Camp Trail" access trail up from a parking lot trailhead is not shown.
In addition the Colorado Trail Yurt just beyond the top of Camp Trail and beside the CT is not shown. It's open and free in the Summer.

Sure would be nice to know they're both there in case of illness for evac purposes or a heavy hailstorm or lightning storm for shelter in the yurt.

I just can't understant why this kind of info is not in the Databook. If it was the AT Databook it WOULD be there.

Mags
07-20-2011, 23:11
Because the CT is not the AT. :)

People on the CT should have a bit more knowledge of the outdoors than the connect-the-dots like hiking of the AT. The CT is very well marked, but being able to use a map is suggested.

If you want to see side trails off the CT, take a map. FWIW, the guide book has info about the yurt.

The Data book is meant to complement, not supplement, maps and the guide book. The data book is quite good for what is does: Showing the basic points and mileage of the Colorado Trail. It is not meant to be an exhaustive guidebook.

Trailryder42
07-21-2011, 00:15
That kind of info isn't shown in the "Map Book" either. Basically, they took the waypoint info from the Bear Creek Survey and drew a red line across a rudimentary Topo map. A waste of $43.95 IMO. I should have spent that money on the remaining Trails Illustrated maps of the trail I don't have.

The data on the trail from the CTF is just basic info for the trail "corridor" itself. Anything else, you'll have to come up with on your own.

I suppose if they "did it all" for us, we might as well hire a guide to walk behind the whole way. Where's the adventure in that.

300winmag
07-24-2011, 21:39
"...the CT is not the AT." HUH? So CT guideboks can't be more detailed???

Anyway, perhaps if we ask teh CT organization folks nicely maybe the next edition will upgrade to more info on at least teh side trails for emergency evac. reasons or for section hiking.

Really now, who wants to photocopy pages from their guidebook and carry them TOO?

Jack Tarlin
07-25-2011, 13:01
The best way for concerned hikers to improve maps, guidebooks, and other material is to contact the present editors/publishers of these works and to offer assistance, ideas, or suggestions. Posting criticism on websites and hiking forums may make folks feel better, but in terms of actual effectivesness, the best way to improve existing maps and guides is probably to directly contact the folks who produce them.

Mags
07-30-2011, 15:49
"...the CT is not the AT." HUH? So CT guideboks can't be more detailed???

The guidebook and the databook are two different things as mentioned.

Take a real map and you'll be fine.

:)

Sly
07-30-2011, 18:37
Get a Spot. If you need help, press the button.

300winmag
07-31-2011, 17:00
OK, I'm in the process of informing the publishers of my request. I'll be talking to Bill Manning on this soon as well.

As for airing my gripe here, what the heck are forums for if not stating opinions on gear? Adding the side trails and huts to the Data Book CAN be done by hand by hikers but why not have the publisher do it when it's so easy to do and can be done more accurately?

Eric

gram cracker
09-23-2011, 15:12
I'm a segment hiker. I've done abou 1/3 of the Colorado Trail. All in segments 1 to 15.

They are in the process of making a new data book, so this is a great time to make suggestions. I'd suggest emailing them to the contact at www.coloradotrail.org (http://www.coloradotrail.org) .

Keep in mind, there are only two volunteers that work on this and probably others who don't get credit.

I'm pretty sure the Yurt is new and was made after the last edition was released. From what I hear, it's still kind of under construction, but in use.

There have been a lot of re-routes of the Colorado Trail over the years so the old maps are showing trails miles out of the way. In some cases, like near Breckenridge, it's a completely different route. However, you can download the waypoints from their website and import them into Topo Explorer and get close enough.

Nothing has been said to me, but I kind of get the idea people don't want the CT to get too popular. It would be too easily damaged if too many people camped along it. Even with LNT camping.

If they showed a lot of side trails, someone would have to hike them to be sure they still exist. There are a lot of old jeep trails that went from one place to another and neither is around anymore. The best bet is usually to just get to a trailhead or to one of the few roads the trail crosses.

Before I got on the trail, I had many of the same concerns. But now that I've been out there, I realize the data book is plenty for the hike. There are things in the guidebook that are nice to know, but not essential.

Agreed on the SPOT. But don't expect a quick response. The first response will likely be a rider on a horse in a day or two.

fiddlehead
09-23-2011, 20:13
I did the CT in 2001.
I didn't know they had a data book.
Didn't buy the guide book either.
Just used the maps.

I think it's important to learn how to read maps.
Guidebooks are for things like helping you know which water source is reliable in a drought or where there is a great camp site with a view or things like that IMO. (some would say they are important for where the PO is or the laundromat)

Chaco Taco
09-24-2011, 10:16
which maps should we get? Does Nat Geo make any for the CT?

gram cracker
09-25-2011, 20:53
The map book is $44 or so. It's the only map that will be pretty much up to date. Nat Geo doesn't have a special map for the CT as far as I know.

I agree it's important to know how to read maps, but with the re-routes, what's marked on the Nat Geo map is often the old routing.

No matter what the profiles say, it's ALL uphill. :)

On Track
09-26-2011, 11:09
CT end to end requires 13 or 14 Nat Geo Trails Illustrated maps, generally GREAT maps but not real good for a long CT trip. Costly. Bulky and heavy. CT line not yet fixed on all. Still, they show the big picture really well including the surrounding peaks, trails, creeks and roads, etc.