PDA

View Full Version : SNP or Maine in September?

redseal
07-21-2011, 08:13
I am planning a trip for the week around Labor Day this year. I have two options, which would you suggest and why?

Option 1 - Gorham NH to Stratton ME
Option 2 - Loft Mtn. Campground area in SNP to Snickers Gap VA

Thanks for your input!

Lone Wolf
07-21-2011, 08:23
maine. colors. cool nights. more scenic

Yukon
07-21-2011, 08:29
maine. colors. cool nights. more scenic

This......

Cookerhiker
07-21-2011, 09:26
Also vote for Maine but keep in mind, Maine is substantially more difficult than SNP so make sure you're in shape and don't expect big mileage days.

redseal
07-21-2011, 12:18
Thanks for the suggestions. I was leaning towards Maine, but was not sure if I would be missing anything at SNP. I just did a 2 day section from Caratunk to Stratton last week. Had a great time and feeling good. I think I should be able to do the Stratton to Gorham section in 9 days.

Slo-go'en
07-21-2011, 22:30
Stratton to Gorham in 9 days might be a bit optimistic. Going SOBO from Stratton will be a butt kicker with a full load of food for the first couple of days. Starting at Rt 4 a little north of Rangely would give you an easy day or two to get limbered up before hitting any serious stuff.

Doing that section of Maine just after Labor day is a good time. Although it is too early for any colors (colors don't really start until mid Sept), it will be cool without being cold and only a small chance of getting any really nasty weather. SNP would be better done much later in the fall (October) or in the spring (May).