PDA

View Full Version : Considering hiking FT in the Panhandle especially Eglin, need info sources

clb
07-21-2011, 08:15
Hi Everyone,
I have two weeks off at Christmas break. I live in TX and usually go to Big Bend then, but looking for something different this year. I am considering a backpacking trip in the panhandle area. On a paddling trip two years ago I paddled Turkey Cr. on Eglin and fell in love. Wanted to paddle Boiling Cr the next day but the base was off limits for maneuvers. Also day hiked along the Juniper Cr. trail north of there. I'm just getting the idea of doing this and was wondering what my best source of info would be?

Thanks,
Leigh

Spirit Walker
07-21-2011, 11:01
Florida Trail Association can sell you maps and hikers guide. You need to be an FTA member to go through Elgin. I haven't hiked the FT, just a section of it. I understand there are areas that get really wet - i.e. where you wade through water for significant distances. I know that's true in the far south, but I think it may also be true for part of the trail up north. You might not want to do them in mid-winter if the water is high.

WingedMonkey
07-21-2011, 13:33
Juniper creek is in the "Blackwater South" section of the Florida Trail and uses parts of other existing State Forest trails, the Juniper Creek Trail and the Jackson Red Ground Trail. You might have hiked part of one of them.

http://www.floridatrail.org/Hikes/floridapanhandle/BlackwaterS.html

lilricky
09-03-2011, 11:01
Actually you don't need to be a FTA member to hike across Elgin. You need to contact Eglin Natural Resources Branch, 107 Hwy 85 North, Niceville, FL 32578; (850) 882-4164. You can purchase a recreational permit for $12, which allows you to hike on Eglin property.

Hikes in Rain
09-04-2011, 16:33
Also, good idea to stay pretty much on the trail in Eglin. There's old unexploded ordinance out there they haven't always been able to find. But the trail corridor is safe.

WingedMonkey
09-04-2011, 19:55
From the Florida Trail Association:

As an aid to thru-hikers (backpackers starting and ending their hikes 30 miles beyond Eglin’s boundaries), Eglin does not require thru-hikers to obtain a Recreation or Camping Permit. In lieu of these permits, thru-hikers must have in their possession an official letter from FTA confirming their status as a thru-hiker and listing approximate dates of travel within Eglin. Thru-hikers are also required to complete a Hiker Registration Card at each trailhead kiosk and have the bottom part in their possession while on Eglin AFB.

lilricky
09-08-2011, 17:42
From the Florida Trail Association:
As an aid to thru-hikers (backpackers starting and ending their hikes 30 miles beyond Eglin’s boundaries), Eglin does not require thru-hikers to obtain a Recreation or Camping Permit. In lieu of these permits, thru-hikers must have in their possession an official letter from FTA confirming their status as a thru-hiker and listing approximate dates of travel within Eglin. Thru-hikers are also required to complete a Hiker Registration Card at each trailhead kiosk and have the bottom part in their possession while on Eglin AFB.

Yep, just as I said, you don't have to join the FTA, although being a member of the FTA is simpler,it will allow you to get the letter.

fullcount
09-11-2011, 00:48
Florida Trail Association can sell you maps and hikers guide. You need to be an FTA member to go through Elgin. I haven't hiked the FT, just a section of it. I understand there are areas that get really wet - i.e. where you wade through water for significant distances. I know that's true in the far south, but I think it may also be true for part of the trail up north. You might not want to do them in mid-winter if the water is high.

Hmm....I am looking to start a thru of the GET in 2016. I plan to start at the Gulf Coast, hike north on the FT into AL for the start of the GET. My question is how much water will I be walking thru and what is the drinking water situation?

clb
10-04-2011, 06:57
Thanks all for the info. Since I have paddled at Eglin, I was aware of the unexploded ordinances. You have to watch their video to get a permit :) My fear was what if some unsuspecting wildlife sets one off near you :D
Guessing the permit route would be less than joining FTA, not that I'm opposed to that;I support many trails at home, but since I'm not living in FL and may not hike this area much I may opt for the permit.
Thanks

WingedMonkey
10-04-2011, 10:28
Thanks all for the info. Since I have paddled at Eglin, I was aware of the unexploded ordinances. You have to watch their video to get a permit :) My fear was what if some unsuspecting wildlife sets one off near you :D
Guessing the permit route would be less than joining FTA, not that I'm opposed to that;I support many trails at home, but since I'm not living in FL and may not hike this area much I may opt for the permit.
Thanks

Don't forget to add camping costs to that permit.

Buffalo Skipper
10-04-2011, 11:14
Juniper creek is in the "Blackwater South" section of the Florida Trail and uses parts of other existing State Forest trails, the Juniper Creek Trail and the Jackson Red Ground Trail. You might have hiked part of one of them.

http://www.floridatrail.org/Hikes/floridapanhandle/BlackwaterS.html

Additionally, there is the Wiregrass trail from the end of the Jackson Trail north to the Alabama state line. It is about 5 miles if I recall, making the total of these 3 trails about 35-ish miles.

From the southern end of the Juniper Creek Trail, it is a 30 mile road walk to the Trail Section of the FT at Eglin. From here (Hwy FL 85 at the Shoal River), there is a 45.1 mile section across Eglin AFB to US 331 (south of DeFuniak Springs). From here there is only road walk for a considerable distance until you return to proper trail. All together, this is only 80 miles of trail; hardly a 2 week trek.

None of these sections are likely to have any swamp or water sections, except along Juniper Creek, which can be impassible in the spring following flooding rains.

Don't think I am discouraging you from doing this. In fact I like these trails, and have hiked them since I was a teenager. I just wonder if this is really what you are hoping to get out of them.

The FT is sill broken significantly, and filled with numerous road walks. The sections which are complete are great. Contact the FTA to help you research the route which will best meet your needs.

Hope that helps you out.

Gray Blazer
10-06-2011, 07:54
Interesting news ... the Suwanee Valley campground near White Springs is going to become a nudist colony. The only problem is the FT passes through it. I guess it won't be a problem on hike naked day.

Gray Blazer
10-06-2011, 07:55
Interesting news ... the Suwanee Valley campground near White Springs is going to become a nudist colony. The only problem is the FT passes through it. I guess it won't be a problem on hike naked day.:eek:

Praha4
10-06-2011, 10:33
another good FT Panhandle section is near Panama City. From SR-20 trailhead, there is a 19 mile FT section that runs northeast to the Scott Rd trailhead, the trail runs about 13 miles along the side of Econfina Creek. Several nice camping sites along that section and it crosses two new suspension bridges across the creek. Scott Rd trailhead is about 3 miles west of US-231, north of Panama City near the Jackson Cty line.

Gray Blazer
10-06-2011, 11:40
If you are near Chipley, go to the Falling Waters State Park. It has the highest waterfall in FL, 100 ft. Fl Caverns are really nice by Marianna. They are actually better than the Shenandoah Caverns in Front Royal, more like the Luray Caverns on a much smaller scale.

mistiaggie
10-11-2011, 22:18
Econfina Creek is a superb place, a place that I don't think too many people know about.

RE the permits: Either way you'll be paying someone a fee, either the FTA to be a member or Eglin. So, just depends on who you want to have your money.

Buffalo Skipper
10-12-2011, 08:46
Econfina Creek is a superb place, a place that I don't think too many people know about.

RE the permits: Either way you'll be paying someone a fee, either the FTA to be a member or Eglin. So, just depends on who you want to have your money.

Actually, if you are a member of the FTA and you are thru hiking you do not have to the Eglin fee. Regardless of FTA membership status, if you are not thru hiking, you must pay a fee.

I have not yet gotten to Econfina Creek, but I have heard many good things about it.

clb
12-15-2011, 20:37
Thanks again for the info all.