PDA

View Full Version : So am I correct in saying, no parking from...

ssforcey
07-21-2011, 09:38
Is there NO parking from Dicks Creek Gap all the way to Deep Gap in NC? I contacted a shuttle about picking us up at Blue Ridge Gap but he said it's a no go.

I'm seeing that it's going to be almost impossible for US to finish Georgia coming from Unicoi in 2.5 days. :/

cavediver256
07-21-2011, 09:44
Well Unicoi Gap is the easiest to access, but you also have access at Indian Grave Gap, Tray Mountain and Deep Creek Gap on the GA side of things, on the NC side, Deep Gap is the first road accessible jump off(about 7 miles of FS road) or add on another 3.5 miles and jump off at Standing Indian Campground...otherwise you can walk into NC then flip back to Deep Creek Gap in GA

Trailweaver
07-21-2011, 09:54
You can come out at Blue Ridge Gap. . . the trail crosses the road (a forest service road) there. As you are hiking north, if you turn left and hike that road (one mile) it comes out to a paved road where you can be picked up. The forest service road is in awful shape; most of the time only a really rugged, high axle truck can manage it.

If you just want to make it to NC, you could hike on north to Bly Gap, then come back to Blue Ridge Gap for pick up.

I have used Joyce and Sally's shuttle service (Hiawassee, GA) for pick up there. You could call them for info. The no. is 706/896-9339. They ask that you not call past 7:00 p.m. or really early in the a.m.

ssforcey
07-21-2011, 09:56
I'm starting to get confused :D

We are starting at Unicoi and wanting to complete Georgia. As of right now it looks like we will have to go BACK to Dicks Creek Gap OR KEEP HIKING INTO NC and make it to Deep Gap where there is supposedly parking. Does this sound right to you. Is there really no parking for 16 miles? I tried for a shuttle to Hiawassee at Blue Ridge Gap but the man said it's almost impossible to pick up there.

Hope this makes sense :)

ssforcey
07-21-2011, 09:58
I'm starting to get confused :D

We are starting at Unicoi and wanting to complete Georgia. As of right now it looks like we will have to go BACK to Dicks Creek Gap OR KEEP HIKING INTO NC and make it to Deep Gap where there is supposedly parking. Does this sound right to you. Is there really no parking for 16 miles? I tried for a shuttle to Hiawassee at Blue Ridge Gap but the man said it's almost impossible to pick up there.

Hope this makes sense :)

ssforcey
07-21-2011, 10:14
Thanks for that info. I'm wondering why the shuttle driver I spoke with yesterday about picking up at Blue Ridge Gap didn't mention that. I would much rather do that then keep on going to Deep Gap in NC. :/ I will give them a call, thank you!

You can come out at Blue Ridge Gap. . . the trail crosses the road (a forest service road) there. As you are hiking north, if you turn left and hike that road (one mile) it comes out to a paved road where you can be picked up. The forest service road is in awful shape; most of the time only a really rugged, high axle truck can manage it.

If you just want to make it to NC, you could hike on north to Bly Gap, then come back to Blue Ridge Gap for pick up.

I have used Joyce and Sally's shuttle service (Hiawassee, GA) for pick up there. You could call them for info. The no. is 706/896-9339. They ask that you not call past 7:00 p.m. or really early in the a.m.

Desert Reprobate
07-21-2011, 10:14
Gene Roll picked Cimaron up at Blue Ridge Gap in April. Give him a call. 423-653-7417.

cavediver256
07-21-2011, 10:16
Sorry ssforcey, I meant to say Dick's creek Gap, but typed Deep Creek Gap. But yes it looks like that are the options available....I am in pretty much the same boat, wanting to finish GA....but I am gonna look at a few more options, I may just keep walking when I hit Deep Gap and push further on up the trail. I will keep ya posted on what I find out.

Pedaling Fool
07-21-2011, 10:24
Is there really no parking for 16 miles?
Simply atrocious:D

ssforcey
07-21-2011, 11:04
My thoughts EXACTLY....I need the managers phone #! :D

Simply atrocious:D

ssforcey
07-21-2011, 11:07
No problem, I figured there was miscommunication there. My brain is horrible sometimes so I did doubt myself for a few. I'm going to call some of the phone #'s above in this post and see where it gets me. A parking space at Blue Ridge Gap would be great. I'll take my shovel and see what I can do.
:)

Sorry ssforcey, I meant to say Dick's creek Gap, but typed Deep Creek Gap. But yes it looks like that are the options available....I am in pretty much the same boat, wanting to finish GA....but I am gonna look at a few more options, I may just keep walking when I hit Deep Gap and push further on up the trail. I will keep ya posted on what I find out.

Ron Haven
07-21-2011, 11:49
I can get you where you need to go.

bus
07-23-2011, 10:49
^^^^ once again saving the day!

Pixelgator
07-26-2011, 16:13
There is only room for two vehicles by the side of the road at Blue Ridge Gap. And they better have 4X4 with good ground clearance!

cavediver256
07-29-2011, 09:21
I promised a follow up, I drove up to Standing Indian Campground on Tuesday morning, with plans to meet Gene Roll at 11a.m. for a shuttle over to Tray Gap. Gene showed up on time and we headed out. Gene went out of his way, by literally turning around, to show me a few more trail options for coming off the AT and back into the area of Standing Indian Campground. Once he had pointed out the options available, we headed over to Tray Gap. Gene is just an all around nice guy, and very knowledgeable of the area. He gets my vote, and my call next time I need a shuttle. You should give him a call (423-653-7417) and see what he can work out for you ssforcey.

Bearpaw
07-29-2011, 16:47
Gene is good people! :sun The southern corridor is lucky to have folks like him and Ron.