PDA

View Full Version : Pack Question

Timekeeper
07-21-2011, 13:08
This may sound like a strange question, but I am looking for some help or suggestions on retro fitting a backpack to accomodate my situation. Several years ago, I had to have my left arm and shoulder amputated. I can still wear a pack, and do so, but after a day or so it has rubbed my right shoulder raw-to the point where I have pretty much a permanent strap mark. On day hikes it is not a big deal, but on longer hikes as the pack slides around, it gets quite tiring.

I anm not adverse to buying a new pack if that is required, I currently use a 4000L bacvkpack for overnight. Planning on setting out on a 10 day section hike of the LT this September and would love to find a way to carry the backpack more securely and take some of the pressure of my remaining shoulder.

Thanks for any advice..

Trailryder42
07-21-2011, 13:22
Aarn body pack. I just discovered them myself. Unfortunately, they can be hard to come by, depending on what size pack you're wanting.

http://www.aarnusa.com/

skinewmexico
07-21-2011, 13:46
Sounds like a pack that actually transfers weight to your hips would be in order. How much do you want to spend?

bigcranky
07-21-2011, 18:02
What are you using now? Does it transfer a lot of the load to your hips? I can think of two things:

1. My pack transfers enough weight to the hip belt that I can loosen or even undo one of the shoulder straps -- perhaps just loosening the strap would help? Of course, if that unbalances everything, then not so much.

2. Go hardcore ultralight and use the Ray Jardine one-strap method, in which he carries his pack over one shoulder. No hip belt, just a very light pack.

Timekeeper
07-22-2011, 13:19
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Will look into WildThings and have sent an inquiry into Aarn. The pack I use now does work, but it does slide around a lot when hitting the ledge scrambles or really steep sections that requires use of hands. Hiking in NH, this is pretty much the norm.

Cost..really hadn't gven that much thought, but willing to spend what I have to to get the best fit. Really looking more towards getting it and checking it out over this summer and next before my wife and I hopefully start our thru hike.

Ken-can you really carry enough in the one-strap method for say 5 days? Seems like I do ok, but have pretty much full pack even watching weight, still will be 30lbs...

bigcranky
07-22-2011, 14:05
Ken-can you really carry enough in the one-strap method for say 5 days? Seems like I do ok, but have pretty much full pack even watching weight, still will be 30lbs...

Me personally? No, I'm still in the 25-30 pound range for 5 days, depending on the time of year. But those UL and super-UL hikers are well under 10 pounds base weight, and under 20 for 5 days, so they might be in a good position to go single-strap.

In any case, good luck finding a solution.

Rick Hancock
07-22-2011, 14:39
I know that they look dorky, and wouldn't be the best choice for the White's or some other "rugged" trail. But... how about one of those inline single wheeled carts. I believe that they can be fitted to your waist with a tow strap on either side. Might be a viable solution to your problem, and could be used on the bulk of the AT. The single strap method is used by a few people and could be reversed to either shoulder depending on how much shoulder you have left. I remember seeing a setup in the advertising section of Backpacker not too long back that drapes over the front and rear of your body. The inline cart was also advertised there.

Nutbrown
07-22-2011, 15:20
That Aarn pack looks interesting, but it would get really hot!

Ender
07-22-2011, 15:30
Also check out the LuxuryLite packs. They transfer 99%+ of the weight to your hips, with the shoulder strap just there to keep the pack from tipping to the side. And it's a small company, just one dude (Bruce) and maybe a sewer or two, so I'm sure he'd be willing to work with you on something personalized.

http://www.luxurylite.com/

Tipi Walter
07-22-2011, 15:35
This may sound like a strange question, but I am looking for some help or suggestions on retro fitting a backpack to accomodate my situation. Several years ago, I had to have my left arm and shoulder amputated. I can still wear a pack, and do so, but after a day or so it has rubbed my right shoulder raw-to the point where I have pretty much a permanent strap mark. On day hikes it is not a big deal, but on longer hikes as the pack slides around, it gets quite tiring.

I anm not adverse to buying a new pack if that is required, I currently use a 4000L bacvkpack for overnight. Planning on setting out on a 10 day section hike of the LT this September and would love to find a way to carry the backpack more securely and take some of the pressure of my remaining shoulder.

Thanks for any advice..

Thanks for sharing your question---it opens up some interesting possibilities. First off, I thought about using a giant buttpack sort of like below:

http://www.armynavyusa.com/gc/files/FOX_Images/5427_Coyote_Recon_Butt_Pack_175_dt.jpg
This is a military style buttpack at about 800 or 900 cubic inches---too small I know but maybe there's a way to build a supported buttpack with internal framing and top and bottom straps for a tent and a sleeping bag. I mean, the hips do most of the work anyway, and I suppose a person could support and carry a lot of weight just from the hips. It sure would be easier to put on and take off, plus an extra one-shoulder strap could be devised on one side to be used on one of your shoulders. I wish you could go to see Dana Gleason or Mr. McHale with your challenge---I bet they could come up with some fantastic solutions.

bigcranky
07-22-2011, 16:09
Here's a dumb idea -- cross the shoulder straps over your chest, bandolier style. You'd need to rig some sort of quick release on one of the straps, or maybe both, not sure. Also not sure how you would put it on, maybe hook the hip belt then pull one strap over your chest, clip it, then repeat with the other strap. On a pack that put most of the weight on your hips, this might keep it from swinging all over the place.

Jay_NJ
07-22-2011, 21:20
Honestly think your best bet might be getting a custom made pack by one of the respected cottage manufacturers. I'm sure given some exact body dimensions, z-packs could make you a one of a kind (and light) piece to suit your needs. Possibly a modified version of their blast with one cross strap, etc.

skinewmexico
07-22-2011, 22:22
If you've got the cash, I bet Dan McHale could come up with something. Owners of his pack are pretty cult-like.

Ladytrekker
07-22-2011, 22:24
I use the ULA Circuit american made and you can actually reach the maker. I would contact them tell them my situation and see if they can fit you with a pack or make some special straps for that shoulder. He is a hiker and would understand your needs. Good Luck.

Timekeeper
07-25-2011, 12:35
Thanks everyone for the suggestions..sent out some inquiries and will follow up with the results!

lemon b
07-31-2011, 08:26
Wonder if a hiker-physical therpist could help. Your weight transfer must be unbalanced. Custom has got to be the way to go and with custom means extra cost.
Had a son with alot of physical problems and over the years I became very surprised with the kindness of people.

ScottP
07-31-2011, 10:36
My left arm is pretty rough shape(I lost about 1/3 of the bone in the shoulder and had to get a total reconstruction this last fall). By the time it felt well enough to stand/walk all day without a lot of pain I was able to backpack.

It hasn't been a problem with backpacking, but I do the ultralight thing pretty intensely. I carry a zpack--as other said if you have a really light load you can carry it over one shoulder pretty comfortably, or one shoulder and a hipbelt.

colonel r
07-31-2011, 11:53
My son just just got an AARN pack this spring and is extremely pleased. It does put the weight on your hips and keeps you more upright. Of course depending on how it is loaded. I have not hike with but have tried it on and was very pleasant to wear. A very ingenious design but not cheap. They have a US outlet.

Jim Adams
07-31-2011, 13:15
What about a light weight external frame pack with one shoulder strap from right shoulder to left hip? Most of the weight will be on your hips with an external, possibly run another smaller padded strap from the left shoulder of the pack frame across to the right strap meeting with adjustment about mid abdo...something like a padded chest strap. With only 30# and most of it on your hips, a small external sounds like it may be the way to go.
What is your waist size? , torso length?, chest size?...I am a paramedic and understand anatomy and have several Peak 1 externals with the small frame. If it will fit you, I would be happy to send one to you to see if it will work for you.

geek

stranger
08-01-2011, 00:30
If you shoulder is being rubbed raw from the shoulder harnerss, it's generally going to be due to 'movement' of the harness against your shoulder, as opposed to sheer weight, but your real issue will be movement. Just like a shoe, you get blisters from your foot moving in the shoe, resulting in friction, then a blister, etc...

Internal frame packs ARE SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED to put weight in the shoulders, this is why they are more stable. External packs in contrast put 100% of the weight on the hips so they generally pivot at that point and shift under challenging terrain.

Because you have less 'surface area' between you and the pack, due to your amputation, this means less of you is touching the pack, therefore the areas that are are holding weight are under greater pressure and have a larger potential for abrasion.

So from my perspective you need to do two things:
a) find a pack that carries very well and find a way to apply it properly using just one arm
b) find a way to keep the pack stable, minimising the movement that is rubbing you raw.

Just thinking right now, one way could be to run extra webbing from your sternum strap, across your chest or stomach, termitating at a point somewhere on the side of your pack, like a compression strap or daisy chain, or get it sewn direclty in. So instead of the sternum strap going to the other harness, it goes across your body and attaches to the pack. You will need to pad it at the contact areas to prevent additional chafing, but in theory this should work.

Contact Dana Gleason at Mystery Ranch and Wayne Gregory at Gregory Mountain Products, they are your best best. No offense to cottage companies, but these guys are just in another league, and both of them have a history of helping people like yourself. I used to know Wayne well years ago, he would definitely help you if you get in touch, I don't have a current email otherwise I would send it to you. I've always found Dana very accomodating as well, they have an understanding of packs that goes beyond what most people could ever fathom.

As for a fix in the meantime, some thick, open cell foam under your shoulder harness will relieve some pressure in the short-term, you should also try different clothing as that can sometimes make a difference.