PDA

View Full Version : "Driving" the A.T. ... SOBO or NOBO?

Brewerbob
07-21-2011, 14:57
I'm fairly certain this horse has been kicked before but I'm kind of at a lost as to how to search for it.

I live in MD so I'm basically dead center of the trail. According to Google, Springer is 660 miles this way and Mt. Kat is 586 miles thatta way. My son has agreed to go hiking for nine days in late Aug before school starts up. The exact dates are Aug 19th - Aug 28th if that makes any difference (festivals or whatever). I'm thinking of using the truck as a campsite, drive to a section of the trail, hike to whatever overlooks there are, and move on to the next. I think I've got enough time to cover a good section (hopefully half) of the trail in this manner.

The question is... which half of the trail do you think is better and why? Grabs popcorn and watches the fight.

WingedMonkey
07-21-2011, 15:10
Exploring the Appalachian Trail by RV, Sort of...--CLEARANCE

http://www.atctrailstore.org/

Sly
07-21-2011, 16:37
If I were you, I'd do the Shenandoah NP. Lots of road access, campgrounds, wildlife.

Brewerbob
07-22-2011, 08:04
Exploring the Appalachian Trail by RV, Sort of...--CLEARANCE

http://www.atctrailstore.org/Someone is always wanting me to buy something else. First the AT map. It doesn't come with a listing of the marks. You gotta buy this seperate guide. What's the catch with this one?

If I were you, I'd do the Shenandoah NP. Lots of road access, campgrounds, wildlife.If this heat doesn't break soon, it'll be Mt. K. But then if it doesn't break and is still around in 4~5 weeks then there is something severly wrong.

Brewerbob
07-22-2011, 09:15
If I were you, I'd do the Shenandoah NP. Lots of road access, campgrounds, wildlife.Any experience with Monogahela National Forest? I've been to Spruce Knob-Seneca Rocks and the Dolly Sods area. I liked both a lot.

Sly
07-22-2011, 09:21
Any experience with Monogahela National Forest? I've been to Spruce Knob-Seneca Rocks and the Dolly Sods area. I liked both a lot.

Nope, never made it to that neck of the woods.

Slo-go'en
07-22-2011, 09:51
So, basically, your looking for half a dozen sceinic vistas which you can access as a day hike via either the AT or a side trail. In addition, these vistas need to be either a short drive apart or a very short hike to get to. It seems to me that you would be doing a whole lot more driving then hiking. I really can't think of any place(s) for you to go which would make what you want to do both practical and interesting enough to be worth doing.

Driver8
07-22-2011, 11:16
Mt. Everett and Mt. Race via the Race Brook Falls Trail to the AT meet your criteria and make for great views. Hug along the brook up to ridgeline and see 6 waterfalls between 30-100' in 1/2 mile or so.

Mt. Greylock, as well, is convenient for your specs. SNP is probably good, but I don't know it that well. Stratton Mtn in Vermont has great views from its tower - a loop hike from Stratton-Arlington Road to summit, down to Stratton Pond, all on AT, back to truck via Stratton Pond Trail, at 10-11 miles would be very nice. Killington, likewise, could be a nice round trip day-hike, whether from north or south. Anything in the Presidentials would be great, particularly, Mt. Lafayette via the Falling Waters Trail up and down via Bridle Path, with AT on the ridgeline, and a trip to Mt. Washington, if weather cooperates, is amazing. Lots of nice waterfalls to be seen along Crawford Notch amidst the Whites. Then there's Katahdin and the Bigelows in Maine.

Due to the heat of the summer, I'd go north were I you, Brewer, and save south for fall or spring. Important to keep in mind that the trail in New Hampshire and Maine is much harder, for the most part, than in other AT states.

WingedMonkey
07-22-2011, 12:35
Someone is always wanting me to buy something else. First the AT map. It doesn't come with a listing of the marks. You gotta buy this seperate guide. What's the catch with this one?

You bought a set of maps online not from the ATC or one of the local maintaining organizations that make their money off of maps and guides to take care of the trail.

Brewerbob
07-22-2011, 13:40
So, basically, your looking for half a dozen sceinic vistas which you can access as a day hike via either the AT or a side trail. In addition, these vistas need to be either a short drive apart or a very short hike to get to. It seems to me that you would be doing a whole lot more driving then hiking. I really can't think of any place(s) for you to go which would make what you want to do both practical and interesting enough to be worth doing.Ideally a bunch of overlooks grouped together within 3 or 4 hours drive of the next set.

Brewerbob
07-22-2011, 13:41
You bought a set of maps online not from the ATC or one of the local maintaining organizations that make their money off of maps and guides to take care of the trail.I bought the AT-Topo map that is in the banner here. Is that not the right one?

Brewerbob
07-22-2011, 13:44
Mt. Everett and Mt. Race via the Race Brook Falls Trail to the AT meet your criteria and make for great views. Hug along the brook up to ridgeline and see 6 waterfalls between 30-100' in 1/2 mile or so.

Mt. Greylock, as well, is convenient for your specs. SNP is probably good, but I don't know it that well. Stratton Mtn in Vermont has great views from its tower - a loop hike from Stratton-Arlington Road to summit, down to Stratton Pond, all on AT, back to truck via Stratton Pond Trail, at 10-11 miles would be very nice. Killington, likewise, could be a nice round trip day-hike, whether from north or south. Anything in the Presidentials would be great, particularly, Mt. Lafayette via the Falling Waters Trail up and down via Bridle Path, with AT on the ridgeline, and a trip to Mt. Washington, if weather cooperates, is amazing. Lots of nice waterfalls to be seen along Crawford Notch amidst the Whites. Then there's Katahdin and the Bigelows in Maine.

Due to the heat of the summer, I'd go north were I you, Brewer, and save south for fall or spring. Important to keep in mind that the trail in New Hampshire and Maine is much harder, for the most part, than in other AT states.Great response. Thx.

I'll have to get the locations when I get home and have the map handy.

Driver8
07-22-2011, 14:26
Mts. Everett and Race are in SW Mass just north of the CT line. Bear Mountain and Lion's Head just south in CT are also very nice, and the Great Falls of the Housatonic a few miles further southeast, also on AT, are powerful and impressive. A hike from them up to the Giant's Thumb, past Rand's View (think Shenandoahs from Rt. 81) is quite nice as well. I've posted pics here of this area that you might appreciate.

Brewerbob
07-25-2011, 07:53
I've posted pics here of this area that you might appreciate.Nice, I checked them out. I need to get out on the trail when the leaves change for sure.