PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations from a recent GA section hike

Sailor (The other one)
07-21-2011, 16:27
Mudpie and I recently did a section in north Georgia. We stayed three nights at Ron Haven's Hiawassee Budget Inn and had four shuttles done by Gene Roll. We highly recommend each.

During the season the inn offers free shuttles. The room price was only $56 including taxes. You could easily get six hikers in a room. No phone (who needs a land line these days?), cable and free coffee in the office in the morning. Very nice, very helpful staff, especially Dave. 706 896-4121.

Gene Roll (a White Blaze member. 706 896-5798, cell 423 653 7417) is dependable, helpful and cheap. When we didn't know if we could replace our water filter element, he offered to loan us his water filter. He went out of his way to get us to an outfitter to look for the element. He had a chance to double his profit on a shuttle and turned it down which helped us and another couple save some money. He was a great fund of information and fun to talk to. Safe driver, too.

Red Hat
07-21-2011, 17:32
I like the "new" Hiawassee Inn but I think it is advertised for less in the AT Guide... you do have to ask for hiker rates. Gene Roll is the best! I miss my GA friends...

lori_nurse
07-22-2011, 11:19
Mudpie and I recently did a section in north Georgia. We stayed three nights at Ron Haven's Hiawassee Budget Inn and had four shuttles done by Gene Roll. We highly recommend each.

During the season the inn offers free shuttles. The room price was only $56 including taxes. You could easily get six hikers in a room. No phone (who needs a land line these days?), cable and free coffee in the office in the morning. Very nice, very helpful staff, especially Dave. 706 896-4121.

Gene Roll (a White Blaze member. 706 896-5798, cell 423 653 7417) is dependable, helpful and cheap. When we didn't know if we could replace our water filter element, he offered to loan us his water filter. He went out of his way to get us to an outfitter to look for the element. He had a chance to double his profit on a shuttle and turned it down which helped us and another couple save some money. He was a great fund of information and fun to talk to. Safe driver, too.

I am doing the first 50 miles of Georgia (NOBO) in a couple weeks. This will be my longest section of training before my thru hike next year. :banana
How are the water conditions out there now? Any possibility of the water sources being dried up by then, in your opinion?
~Lori

Sailor (The other one)
07-22-2011, 12:15
I am doing the first 50 miles of Georgia (NOBO) in a couple weeks. This will be my longest section of training before my thru hike next year. :banana
How are the water conditions out there now? Any possibility of the water sources being dried up by then, in your opinion?
~Lori

Hi Lori,

The following link will give you updated information on water availability along the AT in Georgia.
http://www.georgia-atclub.org/trail/water.htm

Our section was from Unicoi north. We had no problems finding water. We found more sources than shown on our ATC map.

I suggest checking with that site before you go.
Have a great hike.

Hooch
07-22-2011, 12:18
Ron Haven and Gene Roll are both great guys who will bend over backward to help a hiker out. I'm proud to call both these gentlemen my friends.