PDA

View Full Version : winter on Mt. Washington movie

The Old Fhart
02-08-2005, 10:42
Anyone interested in getting a taste of what it’s like to work on the summit of Mount Washington in the winter might like to see this .MOV file I uploaded. My nephew, who you’ll see in the movie, put this together to show his class in CO. The footage is from several sources. I shot the clips of people trying to walk, or even stand, in 120+ mph winds, and parts are from FOX or PBS. This is a large file (19Mb) and may take a few minutes to load even if you have a high-speed connection. If you have a dial-up connection it could take weeks. My AOL browser/player doesn’t work with this but MS Internet Explorer and FireFox work fine. Not real high quality but I think it will give you an idea of life on the rockpile. Click here (http://www.metrocast.net/~rjb0343/Test/obs1.mov) to enjoy the movie.

tribes
02-08-2005, 11:23
The footage of the guys trying to walk in the wind is hilarious.

dje97001
02-08-2005, 11:38
Very nice!

hiker5
02-08-2005, 11:42
Very interesting. Thanks for posting it Old Fhart!

Footslogger
02-08-2005, 11:49
Wow ...great footage. The guy driving the snow cat at the beginning looks like "The Wookie". The scene with the guy trying to walk into the wind looks like something out of a Spiderman movie (with snow, of course).

Man, and I thouht it was cold and windy the day I crossed over Mt Washington in September 2003 ...yeikie shneikie !!

'Slogger

walkin' wally
02-08-2005, 19:48
Great video. It makes one think about having a lot of respect for the weather up there.

ed bell
02-08-2005, 20:05
Thanks for sharing that Old Fhart. I spent my honeymoon last May near Mt. Washington. Me and my wife joined the Observatory Society when we visited the top. The Visitors center was not yet fully open for the summer season, but Tim Markle gave me and my wife a personal guided tour of the whole place. Very good times. I am a weather geek so that place is very special to me.:sun

TakeABreak
02-09-2005, 04:33
Great video, thanks for sharing.