PDA

View Full Version : Lee to Dalton, MA Information

dperry
07-21-2011, 22:48
Hello, All,

The wife and I will be doing our next section in MA between US 20 near Lee and Dalton week after next. Would love any information you could give, please, particularly the following:

1. How's the water right now? The official guide indicates that the water sources at the two shelters we'll be staying at (October Mountain and Kay Wood) are iffy, but the comments on the shelter board make them sound pretty steady. If it's not good, we'll take along extra bottles and fill up at the ponds and bigger streams enroute.
2. How bad will the bugs be? I've heard all the horror stories about those New England bogs. . .
3. Most importantly, I keep hearing the names of Tom Lavardi and Rob Bird, who seem to be really nice folks who might be able to help with parking and shuttles. Could I get contact info for them, please?

Thanks to all in advance.

Migrating Bird
07-22-2011, 05:14
Hi dperry:

I live just west of the RT 20 trailhead. The weather is hot up here and it is dry, we need some rain. Yesterday was nearly 100. The skeeters and deer flies are currently out in full force, use a repellent with a higher concentration of deet. Watch out for deer ticks and do daily tick checks. Regarding water sources, you should not have too much of a problem as you describe, but you make no mention of when you plan to hike. The hiking should be great. PM me and if I am available, I could also shuttle you. good luck.

M. Bird

Driver8
07-22-2011, 11:38
Up toward Dalton is the Blueberry Lady, who's a bit east of the trail. Makes muffins and other blueberry treats from her family's farm. I believe you can pick your own, too. Heck, I might just head out that way myself this weekend and give a report. :)

WingedMonkey
07-22-2011, 13:38
Water is plentiful along that section, streams are running, and if you have a map you can find those that the trail doesn't cross directly. Roy & Marilyn Wiley "The Cookie Lady" with the blueberry farm where the AT crosses Washington Mountain Road isn't always at the farm, but they have an outside spigot that hikers are welcome to use. They also provide shuttle service for all of that section. (413) 623-5859 or [email protected]
I stay about 3/4 of a mile down the abandoned road from there, but won't be up until September. Hopefully.

Driver8
07-22-2011, 14:28
Water is plentiful along that section, streams are running, and if you have a map you can find those that the trail doesn't cross directly. Roy & Marilyn Wiley "The Cookie Lady" with the blueberry farm where the AT crosses Washington Mountain Road isn't always at the farm, but they have an outside spigot that hikers are welcome to use. They also provide shuttle service for all of that section. (413) 623-5859 or [email protected]
I stay about 3/4 of a mile down the abandoned road from there, but won't be up until September. Hopefully.

This is the lady I was thinking of. Thank you, WingedMonkey!

dperry
07-24-2011, 15:05
No one can help me with contacting Messrs. Lavardi and Bird?

Part of the issue is that since we're coming from the south, I'd prefer not to have to schlep all the way to the Gulf Rd parking lot on the north side of town. I'm hoping that they can help us with alternative parking.

Pony
07-24-2011, 17:52
I couldn't tell you much about Bird, But Tom Lavardi is in the thru hiker's companion. 83 Depot St. 413-684-3359, 413-212-9691 (cell). When I walked into Dalton, it was one of the lowest points of my hike. Tom did a lot to help me out. Helped me fix my pack, shuttled me over Mt. Greylock to slackpack south, gave me a place to stay for a couple of nights, laundry, etc. Great guy, and I left Dalton in great spirits. Definitely worth stopping by.