PDA

View Full Version : I need info on shelters in nc/tn

usmcpayne
07-22-2011, 05:48
Does anyone know which shelter is the first on you come to if you are leaving Standing Bear Farms heading south to GA?

-Dustin

usmcpayne
07-22-2011, 06:37
actually the first one about 10 miles outside of Standing Bear Farms?

Bama Jack & Sadie
07-22-2011, 06:43
Here is a great link to the ATC that has all of the shelter and parking information. http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/find-a-hike/interactive-map Good luck on your hike. If you are trailing in the beginning of September I may pass you Northbound.

Jack Tarlin
07-22-2011, 09:07
The first A.T. shelter south of Davenport Gap is the Davenport Gap shelter; it is 3.3. miles south of the Waterville Rd. trail crossing, which is in turn about .2 from Standing Bear Farm. (The next shelter south is Cosby Knob, 7.1 miles after Davenport Gap Shelter).

usmcpayne
07-22-2011, 09:55
Good deal thanks. We actually just changed out mind. We were going to hike from I-40 dwn to Helen Ga and end it there. Instead we are going to hike from Fontana to Springer. We're starting the 25th of September. Good luck on your trip. Is this your first hike as well?

Bama Jack & Sadie
07-23-2011, 09:01
Good deal thanks. We actually just changed out mind. We were going to hike from I-40 dwn to Helen Ga and end it there. Instead we are going to hike from Fontana to Springer. We're starting the 25th of September. Good luck on your trip. Is this your first hike as well?

No, I done a few sections on the southern end. You should have a great time on that section. I did Amicalola to Deep Gap in 09 (very nice section) and will be picking up at Deep Gap to Fontana in October (3rd). Hopefully the temps will cool off a bit for you by then. If you aren't planning on doing the Approach Trail to Amicalola, at least stop by there as they are amazing falls. The 600+/- steps from bottom to top are a bit much but worth it for the views above the falls. If you see a guy in a red hat and a happy dog, say howdy. Good luck!