PDA

View Full Version : Hammock forum worth it?

dla
07-22-2011, 11:07
When I was looking for hammock information, everyone pointed me to hammock forum. After joining that forum I discovered that it is a pay forum and any discussions the least bit useful are hidden from non-paying members. After pondering for a while, I realized that the only useful information I received came from Shug's video series which is freely available on Youtube. The majority of the threads were started by folks who were noobs like me, asking the same questions over and over. So the good threads were available to "paid up" members only - everything else was pretty lame. In my opinion, hammock forums is a little cliche - not really a forum at all. The single useful feature they offer is a means to contact and discuss the various small manufacturers of quilts, etc.

So my suggestion to those pondering hammocks - watch Shug's videos. If you want to buy your way into hammock forum discussions - that's your business. But I personally don't find that forum all that useful anymore.

Hooch
07-22-2011, 11:27
Seems to me that you're a little misinformed on this one. Hammock Forums, like WhiteBlaze, has a donating member option, but you are not required to be a donating member to participate in the forums, research past threads/posts or for the forum to still be arguable the most valuable resource on the internet for all things hammocking. Being the wealth of knowledge and source for hammocking that it is, the site owner, administrator and moderation team have chosen to keep the site full time on the topic of hammocking. Anything off topic is discussed in the Donating Member Off-Topic Forums, which includes discussion regarding general off topic subjects, backpacks, clothing, camp kitchen, cutlery, paddling, and non-hammock DIY.

For those that choose to be donating members, the minimum donation is $10 annually, or $0.027/day, which, IMO, is more than worth it for the information, entertainment value and being part of such a wonderful, understanding and giving community. The opinions, information and ideas submitted my non-paying members are appreciated and as highly valued as those who are paying members and we make no distiction between the two, other than access to the previously mentioned Donating Members forums.

Hammock Forums continues to be the internet's leading information resource on all things hammocking and will remain that way. We hope to have you as part of our community, paid member or not.

This only my take on the subject and is not meant to be an official statement on behalf of anyone, particularly the owner, administrator or moderation team at Hammock Forums.

Best wishes and happy hangin'. :D

Bags4266
07-22-2011, 11:32
What he said....Or in less words same as White Blaze

SouthMark
07-22-2011, 11:44
Well said Hooch. It may not be an official statement but I do not believe the owner, administrator or moderation team at HF could say it any better.

scope
07-22-2011, 12:01
Yeah, you must have ventured into an off-topic section and thought everything was like that. If you have an example, post it here and I'm sure that will be detailed to see if there is an issue. Otherwise, the only problem with HF.net is the veritable plethora of hammock-nerd details that could certainly confuse a noob.

Hooch
07-22-2011, 12:10
. . . .the only problem with HF.net is the veritable plethora of hammock-nerd details. . . .You say that like it's a bad thing. And the Mathletes. You forgot the mathletes. :rolleyes::D

johnnybgood
07-22-2011, 12:16
Otherwise, the only problem with HF.net is the veritable plethora of hammock-nerd details that could certainly confuse a noob.

WB has it's share of those types too. Just extract enough information for your own liking. ;)

EastCoastFeastCoast
07-22-2011, 13:00
You say that like it's a bad thing. And the Mathletes. You forgot the mathletes. :rolleyes::D

The DIY section is incredibly informative, interesting, and painful to my head. I also love the attitude on HF... it's much more of a family atmosphere, people will always be willing to help you and offer constructive criticism. Also the PIF thread is mighty cool (although we need some more involvement from new people). Also I believe you can view all threads, but you have to be a donating member in order to post a comment of start a thread in the off-topic sections. Anything that has to do with hammocks (and even the for sale / to buy sections) are fully accessible to anyone.

There are also a lot of people that are on both WB and HF like myself, hooch, and probably a few others on this particular thread.

Give us another shot!

Happy Hangin'
Ben

Ewker
07-22-2011, 13:04
You can pay to join it if you like. I have been a member over there since it first started and still haven't dontated. If you are just looking for info on hammocks you can get that on the forum without donating.
I did get a chance to see what was in the members only forum and to me it wasn't worth paying for. Of course now they will talk about me for saying that ;):)

cavediver256
07-22-2011, 13:07
What they said !!!! :D

Tom Murphy
07-22-2011, 13:17
No this is not correct at all. In fact, the origal poster could not be more wrong.

All of the useful information is in the open forums.

The donating member forums at hammockforum are not where the "good stuff" is. The donating member forums at hammockforum are about family stuff, jokes, knifes, and guns.

IMO hammock forum's open DIY section is amazingly open with everything you need make gatheered end hammocks, bridge hammocks, tarps, winter tarps, socks, quilts.

Tom Murphy
07-22-2011, 13:20
And the Mathletes. You forgot the mathletes. :rolleyes::D

As one guy at HF posted, " Shhh, be quiet, you will awaken the Quants"

Scared me enough to look up the word. :p

SouthMark
07-22-2011, 14:45
You can pay to join it if you like. I have been a member over there since it first started and still haven't dontated. If you are just looking for info on hammocks you can get that on the forum without donating.
I did get a chance to see what was in the members only forum and to me it wasn't worth paying for. Of course now they will talk about me for saying that ;):)

Don't worry Ewker, we already talk about you.:D

Ewker
07-22-2011, 14:49
Don't worry Ewker, we already talk about you.:D

dang it I knew it :p

Raul Perez
07-22-2011, 14:50
dla,

I reviewed all the threads you started (7 threads started by you). 6 were specific questions and one was a gripe about the forum's moderation. One of your threads (on the camp pillow) was bounced to the member forums because it wasn't about hammocks it was about the pillow you used from REI. the other 5 of the threads started by you were in the appropriate forums dedicated to that specific topic <for free>. And all of your 5 threads you received the appropriate responses and proper feedback which allowed you to make a more informed decision about purchasing a hammock or insulation.

Correction - pad thread you started in which you wanted a good, better, best rating which you really can't get due to the subjectivity of the matter (everyone sleeps a bit differently).... on BTW how's that inflatable pillow still working for you suggested by another non-paying member? Better sleeping for your left side sleeping problems?

You were even invited for free to the Oregon hang to help with different set up options. Assuming you were close enough to attend.

There was only 1 thread that I noted (in which you didn't start) that was placed in the members section of the site because it didnt specifically go along the lines of hammock talk.

The paying member's forums have the following topics:

Off Topic
Camp Kitchen
Clothing
Backpacks
Paddling
Cutlery (knives)
Other Gear & DIY (not specific to hammocks)

Because they want to keep the content hammock related those topics are placed in a members forum for those who want to stray... which is fine. If you want those topics you can pay the measly $10 for a year or just research areas on Whiteblaze which is the Big-Brother site to hammock forums and has those topics free of charge.

As far as noobs asking the same things over and over... that's what they do. I was a noob once too and I still contribute to help those out with my experiences.

So what's the problem... really?

Water Monkey

Nutbrown
07-22-2011, 15:03
I have been on HF for a while now, and the info I have gleaned has saved me a lot of time, money, and pains. It is well worth it.

dla
07-22-2011, 15:25
Hmmm, I must have had a unique experience. You see, when a thread is interesting on HF, the moderators often move it to a restricted area accessible only by paid members. Therefore it is not FREE at all.

What I discovered was that the really useful info was free - i.e. Shug's video series. The cottage industry folks also made use of the forum to promote chatter about products, but there were no serious reviews so a noob would be led to believe they are all the same and "good", which is not the case.

So the exchange of information is throttled. But that is OK as hammocking in general is a pretty small portion of the outdoor community.

Raul Perez
07-22-2011, 15:31
Apart from Shug <who is an Awesome entertainer> I also have reviews for some of the cottage industry makers.... for Free.

Hooch
07-22-2011, 15:34
. . . .You see, when a thread is interesting on HF, the moderators often move it to a restricted area accessible only by paid members. Therefore it is not FREE at all. . . . If that interesting thread is not a hammock specific topic, then yes, it is moved to the Donating Members Off Topic Forums. Again, as explained earlier, HF is a hammock specific forum and all public content is directly hammock related. All other topics are moved to keep the focus where it belongs: on hammocks. If you want to be able to access the off tpic forums, pony up $10. It's that simple.

dla
07-22-2011, 15:49
dla,

I reviewed all the threads you started (7 threads started by you). 6 were specific questions and one was a gripe about the forum's moderation. One of your threads (on the camp pillow) was bounced to the member forums because it wasn't about hammocks it was about the pillow you used from REI. the other 5 of the threads started by you were in the appropriate forums dedicated to that specific topic <for free>. And all of your 5 threads you received the appropriate responses and proper feedback which allowed you to make a more informed decision about purchasing a hammock or insulation.

Correction - pad thread you started in which you wanted a good, better, best rating which you really can't get due to the subjectivity of the matter (everyone sleeps a bit differently).... on BTW how's that inflatable pillow still working for you suggested by another non-paying member? Better sleeping for your left side sleeping problems?

You were even invited for free to the Oregon hang to help with different set up options. Assuming you were close enough to attend.

There was only 1 thread that I noted (in which you didn't start) that was placed in the members section of the site because it didnt specifically go along the lines of hammock talk.

The paying member's forums have the following topics:

Off Topic
Camp Kitchen
Clothing
Backpacks
Paddling
Cutlery (knives)
Other Gear & DIY (not specific to hammocks)

Because they want to keep the content hammock related those topics are placed in a members forum for those who want to stray... which is fine. If you want those topics you can pay the measly $10 for a year or just research areas on Whiteblaze which is the Big-Brother site to hammock forums and has those topics free of charge.

As far as noobs asking the same things over and over... that's what they do. I was a noob once too and I still contribute to help those out with my experiences.

So what's the problem... really?

Water Monkey

Hey thanks for making it personal - nice job! I'm very happy you've found your little niche and I hope you enjoy yourself.

Too bad you can't think through how to do a rating for pads - it would save noobs time and money by avoiding buying inferior products and discovering what doesn't work.

I side sleep - do you? Funny, I discovered that a lot of guys side sleep. And you know what? A small pillow really helps with positioning your head to avoid neck ache, airway obstruction and claustrophobic "hammock in your face". But the moderators decided that pillows and side-sleeping are not hammock-related and "POOF!" - gone. On any given day you will find 50% of the threads in the "General Hammock Talk" section marked "moved" with no new address. So when somebody stumbles onto the forum they find some useful stickys and many other threads seemingly deleted.

I could see paying to watch Shug's videos because he is knowledgeable, talented, and put a lot of work into production. But he gives them away for free (nice guy!). Other than being part of a little cliche and getting to hang a silly sign on your camp, I'm not seeing the value of paying for HF.

nufsaid
07-22-2011, 15:55
Hey thanks for making it personal - nice job! I'm very happy you've found your little niche and I hope you enjoy yourself.

Too bad you can't think through how to do a rating for pads - it would save noobs time and money by avoiding buying inferior products and discovering what doesn't work.

I side sleep - do you? Funny, I discovered that a lot of guys side sleep. And you know what? A small pillow really helps with positioning your head to avoid neck ache, airway obstruction and claustrophobic "hammock in your face". But the moderators decided that pillows and side-sleeping are not hammock-related and "POOF!" - gone. On any given day you will find 50% of the threads in the "General Hammock Talk" section marked "moved" with no new address. So when somebody stumbles onto the forum they find some useful stickys and many other threads seemingly deleted.

I could see paying to watch Shug's videos because he is knowledgeable, talented, and put a lot of work into production. But he gives them away for free (nice guy!). Other than being part of a little cliche and getting to hang a silly sign on your camp, I'm not seeing the value of paying for HF.

Then don't.

Raul Perez
07-22-2011, 16:18

Who's making it personal??? YOU stated that you only received useful info from Shug's videos and not from the forum. I simply checked up on your assertion and found that you received plenty of feedback and useful information from other paying and non-paying members and cited one specific one in which you received info on helping with your side sleeping.

Your side sleeping question is in the general hammock talk <for free>

When your first night wasn't very pleasant due to side sleeping your received a tip about a pillow which is in the general hammock talk <for free>

The thread on the pillow you bought.... not hammock related and in the members forum for "other gear".

Also, if you attended the Oregon (not sure if you did or not) there would have been plenty of people who would allowed you to lay in their hammocks and see their set ups free of charge and talk to you about anything you wanted.

Hey if you dont like hammockforums due to the moderation that's fine, even though I dont see enough evidence where your threads were excessively placed in the paying member's section. But when you make statements that you didnt receive much benefit from the forum's free discussions when you actually did.... you do the math.

Hooch
07-22-2011, 16:29
. . . .Other than being part of a little cliche and getting to hang a silly sign on your camp, I'm not seeing the value of paying for HF.That's because, for whatever reason, you're approaching this with a closed mind. I'm not sure why and it really doesn't matter. Your repeated use of the word "cliche" is actually quite a bit off base. At HF either you're a hanger or you're not. Like I said before, there is no distiction between the value or importance of a paying memember over a non-paying member. I'm sorry you harbor some kind of animoisty towards HF for whatever reason, but if you have a problem with HF, take it to the site owner or administrator instead of whining about it on another website (also owned by the same person, but with a different administrator).

If you don't choose to participate in the Donating Member forums, then that's fine and you're certainly entitled to do so. Best wishes, good luck and happy hangin'. However, telling others that being a paying member isn't worth it, when you've never done so and don't have an educated opinion, is nothing short of juvenile and petty.

Ewker
07-22-2011, 16:45

However, telling others that being a paying member isn't worth it, when you've never done so and don't have an educated opinion, is nothing short of juvenile and petty.

well crap i must be juvenile and petty :cool: :banana

EastCoastFeastCoast
07-22-2011, 16:47

You're jevenile, petty, and a whole lot worse... but not for those reasons ;)

Hooch
07-22-2011, 16:47
well crap i must be juvenile and petty :cool: :bananaBig negative, buddy. You've seen it and made an educated, informed opinion. That's your decision and I respect it.

Cannibal
07-22-2011, 16:49
Alright!
Somebody thinks my thread about my mini-donkeys is "useful". :banana

Ewker
07-22-2011, 16:54
Big negative, buddy. You've seen it and made an educated, informed opinion. That's your decision and I respect it.

me educated?? Did you forget where we were last weekend :eek: lol

BTW those Cherry Wheat beers were good the other night with the steak I had for dinner :D

Hooch
07-22-2011, 17:00
me educated?? Did you forget where we were last weekend :eek: lolGood point. Hope to see you next month at The Scales.

BTW those Cherry Wheat beers were good the other night with the steak I had for dinner :DYeah, that's a great beer to have with steaks. Or chicken. Or fish. Or without. Either way. :D

Ender
07-22-2011, 17:01
Just an FYI...
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lnn7oueAzy1qcy3blo1_400.png
;)

TheRaven
07-22-2011, 17:01
Having been on a couple VB motorcycling forums I've come to the conclusion that if a site has special sections for donating members then they don't get a dime from me. They should not require money. If the content and site is good enough then the donations should come freely. ADVrider for example. great resource, and a large following. They get more money than I can possibly realize. People donate things for donation sales, others just give money because they like the site. Horizons Unlimited, another motorcycle site with TONS of overland international travel info is FREE, yet they get tons of donations, though also have advertisers, unlike ADV which is AD-free. In any case, both sites have gotten my money.

finskie
07-22-2011, 17:05
What is funny to me, Is likely the majority of people that read this thread are already on HF and have formed their opinion already. To really hate on HF, you would have to post this in another forum on this site, but it would likely be moved to where it belongs (here):D Just like threads are moved to the proper place on HF. The only part of your statements that have any validity (in my opinion) is the statement about over positive reviews. To keep HF civil, I feel on rare occasions they remove negative comments that have some validity about cottage products. This can sometimes make it tough to get an objective point of view on a product you are considering. I personally want to hear negatives about products, as long as they are not spiteful, crude, or inappropriate. As far as having to pay for all the "useful" info... i'm not with you on that. I donate, and generally do not look at, or participate in the donating members forum. All hammock specific info is on the free side. They can be a little anal retentive about what is "hammock specific", but i appreciate them sticking to the topic. Otherwise, it would just be another WB. Just my .02

scope
07-22-2011, 17:05
dla - methinks you're a troll.

Ewker
07-22-2011, 17:06
Just an FYI...
;)

good one

Loneoak
07-22-2011, 17:08
I'm a member here and also at HF. Have gotten lots of help from both sites, finally donated here, after probably a yrs use and just donated at HF a couple weeks ago. Everyone has been great on both sites, answering my noob questions. I don't have a problem sending in such a small amount to help the sites out.
I haven't even looked at the donating members forum yet on HF, thanks for bringing it up. Now I will have to go look :)

Ewker
07-22-2011, 17:10
Good point. Hope to see you next month at The Scales.

Yeah, that's a great beer to have with steaks. Or chicken. Or fish. Or without. Either way. :D

We are planning on being there. Looking forward to all of those blueberries and smurfs (people who have eaten too many blueberries and turned blue)

Oh yeah it was good...I might pass on chocolate with it :)

Raul Perez
dla - methinks you're a troll.

He's not a troll. I can vouch that. But I disagree with his statements.

lyodom
I too am a Junior non-paying member of HF. I have gained so much hammock related information on HF. There are patterns on DIY projects that have helped me in created some gear. I recently made a top quilt. I wouldn't say that is strictly hammock related.

Tom Murphy
07-22-2011, 17:11
The cottage industry folks also made use of the forum to promote chatter about products,

But there were no serious reviews so a noob would be led to believe they are all the same and "good", which is not the case.

So the exchange of information is throttled. But that is OK as hammocking in general is a pretty small portion of the outdoor community.

Happy to be a small minority, just like the UL crowd. :p

Yes, cottage industries have a strong presence but that doesn't prevent detailed DIY instructions which must surely cut inot their sales.

Product reviews - I think there are very strong advocates for certain brands, but I have not seen a reluctance to criticize. Read the thread about a certain manufacturer whose hammmoacks are so popular he moved some of the manufacturing overseas. Told everyone upfront in the forum and that was a lively exchange of posts. I think there are just a number of outstanding vendors serving this niche market.

HF is a family. People travel hundreds of miles to hang together.

Posts are respectful of different hiking styles from car camping to packmules to gram weenies. So you don't find a lot of competetion on those hammock is "better".

finskie
07-22-2011, 17:12
Just an FYI...
;)

Awesome! My point of view exactly.

Ewker
07-22-2011, 17:12
well dla it looks like they will talk about you in the member forums now instead of me :banana

Hooch
07-22-2011, 17:14
. . . .HF is a family. People travel hundreds of miles to hang together.

Posts are respectful of different hiking styles. . . .Well said. Couldn't have put it better myself.

finskie
07-22-2011, 17:15
What is funny to me, Is likely the majority of people that read this thread are already on HF and have formed their opinion already. To really hate on HF, you would have to post this in another forum on this site, but it would likely be moved to where it belongs (here):D Just like threads are moved to the proper place on HF. The only part of your statements that have any validity (in my opinion) is the statement about over positive reviews.

Just to clarify, I feel the vast majority of reviews on HF are serious ones. You just see alot of people getting new gear and at first being overly "sunshiny" about it. I am the same way TBH

dla
07-22-2011, 17:59
well dla it looks like they will talk about you in the member forums now instead of me :banana

:)

Well I'm pretty sure it won't be hammock-related, so it will be "moved" with no link to follow :)

Hooch
07-22-2011, 18:22
:)

Well I'm pretty sure it won't be hammock-related, so it will be "moved" with no link to follow :)If you don't have a trail name, you do now. "Whines Like a Girl". :rolleyes:

BillyBob58
07-22-2011, 18:24
Hmmm, I must have had a unique experience. You see, when a thread is interesting on HF, the moderators often move it to a restricted area accessible only by paid members. Therefore it is not FREE at all.

What I discovered was that the really useful info was free - i.e. Shug's video series. The cottage industry folks also made use of the forum to promote chatter about products, but there were no serious reviews so a noob would be led to believe they are all the same and "good", which is not the case.

Hi DLA! No serious reviews? It is hard to understand how you can think that. Have you been here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17 ? My PeaPod review alone goes on for pages, counting the updates given over time. And under General hammock talk, and under each vendor and sub- category of equipment ( like http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=88 etc) are seemingly endless reviews of various hammock and hammock related gear. right now there is a long running battle going on for pages about War Bonnet vs Hennessy, and what folks like or dislike about each.

I think that rather than the exchange of info being throttled, it is close to endless. Too much info. Which is why so many Noobs have to just start with: " hey, what hammock should I get-- which UQ should I get- should I just use a pad- ", etc, etc. It is probably easier to just ask your question than to search, because you will get a thousand suggestions and opinions in response.

Again, to be clear, only one category is in the for pay section: stuff not specifically a hammock or directly hammock related. Here are some of the rules for the pay section:

This forum was created as a little treat for those who made a donation. This is basically an anything-goes discussion forum: news and events, hobbies not related to hammock camping, movies, music, books, art, humor, or just general discussion. There will be a few basic rules that everyone posting in this forum will need to adhere to: .................................................. .......................................
Also, be sure to keep the discussions about hammocks and hammock gear in the forum where everyone will be able to read and comment on the subject. The Lounge is for non-hammock related discussion.

Believe me, if you want to get info and opinions about any hammock- or gear directly related to a hammock- or trips with a hammock- or why you love or hate a hammock or hammocks in general- you can do so ad infinitum and for free. And sure you can get tons of videos- like Shug's - at youtube/on the net- but most of that first came through HF anyway. But if you want to talk about hammocks, FOR FREE, HF is the place to do it! ;)

BillyBob58
07-22-2011, 18:32
Well DUH, every one knows you are both, Ewker! Maybe too much time "hanging" out with the likes of Neo!!! :rolleyes: ;) even though you do make some pretty good camp food, if memory serves!

bobqzzi
07-22-2011, 18:47
OP: Your original statement is contradictory. If (in your opinion) all the best and most interesting threads are moved to the pay area, then how do you draw the conclusion it is not worth paying? Your original statement indicates that it IS worth paying. If all the best and most interesting threads were in the free area, then it would not be worth paying.

SouthMark
07-22-2011, 18:50
I too am a Junior non-paying member of HF. I have gained so much hammock related information on HF. There are patterns on DIY projects that have helped me in created some gear. I recently made a top quilt. I wouldn't say that is strictly hammock related.OK now that you have confessed about how much info you have received on HF with DIY projects how about coughing up some donation money. Wait maybe I should be making a donation on your behalf as much as I have benefited from your DIY skills.

Doctari
07-22-2011, 18:53
Yea, I stay away from WB JUST because it has "filled up" with your type. Bunch of whiny Babies who can't manage a conscious thought.

You were even given a list of "what is in the members only site" & still B*****d about "all the good stuff is moved to the Pay ONLY site".

Sadly, even after pointing out that no hammock stuff is ever hidden you still don't get it. I for one would be very happy if you stayed away from Hammock forums! Probably would be happier if you stayed away from planet Earth, cause you sure aint from around here.

dla
07-22-2011, 19:14
Hi DLA! No serious reviews? It is hard to understand how you can think that. Have you been here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17 ? My PeaPod review alone goes on for pages, counting the updates given over time. And under General hammock talk, and under each vendor and sub- category of equipment ( like http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=88 etc) are seemingly endless reviews of various hammock and hammock related gear. right now there is a long running battle going on for pages about War Bonnet vs Hennessy, and what folks like or dislike about each.

I think that rather than the exchange of info being throttled, it is close to endless. Too much info. Which is why so many Noobs have to just start with: " hey, what hammock should I get-- which UQ should I get- should I just use a pad- ", etc, etc. It is probably easier to just ask your question than to search, because you will get a thousand suggestions and opinions in response.

Again, to be clear, only one category is in the for pay section: stuff not specifically a hammock or directly hammock related. Here are some of the rules for the pay section:

Believe me, if you want to get info and opinions about any hammock- or gear directly related to a hammock- or trips with a hammock- or why you love or hate a hammock or hammocks in general- you can do so ad infinitum and for free. And sure you can get tons of videos- like Shug's - at youtube/on the net- but most of that first came through HF anyway. But if you want to talk about hammocks, FOR FREE, HF is the place to do it! ;)

Let's imagine you bought a hammock. It's 50*F and clear outside so you find two trees, set it up and hop in. In about 15minutes you realize that your underside gets cold no matter how you shift. So you search HF. Somebody says they were comfortable using a windshield sun shade, so you run to Walmart and pick one up for $4. You put it in the hammock and crawl in. After 20 minutes your backside is cold again and your calves got cold even faster. Also you discover that the windshield shade slides around quite a bit when you shift around. So back to HF you go and read how someone uses Walmart blue foam pads just fine. Quick trip to Walmart and $10 and you're wrestling with the pad in your hammock. Yes the pad is warm, but it is very hard for somebody bigger than a munchkin to lay on. As soon as you wiggle off the edge you get a cold spot and wake up. Back to HF you go and someone says that a Gossamer Gear 1/4" Evazote pad is the best and they used one down to 20*f and slept toasty. $40 and 5 days later the new pad arrives. You pull it out and discover that it is much stiffer and bulkier than you imagined with a packed size bigger than your entire backpack. You put it in the hammock and discover it works OK to about 40*F or so. At this point you've spent $54 and have an OK, but not great, solution. So you play around combining various pads together and feel pretty confident you can lay comfortably into maybe the high 30*s. But the solution is bulky for backpacking. Back to HF you go and you discover that the ultimate Under Quilts are down, available from many manufacturers, in different sizes and start at ~$200 - which is serious change for most folks. But of course everyone says the quilt they purchased is FANTASTIC, with FANTASTIC build quality, FANTASTIC fit and it keeps their tushies warm when immersed in liquid nitrogen. :) There are of course, 5 different cottage shops producing $200+ quilts. So back to HF again and again trying to make an informed decision, but every vendor is equal, wonderful, best friends and married to somebody's sister - and on and on it goes.

I'm in the market for a new laptop. No problem at all getting reviews, informed opinions, etc. on what is the best laptop for the $ at the present time. Lots of forums offering information.

So yeah, HF doesn't have many/any serious reviews IMHO.

Hooch
07-22-2011, 19:27
So yeah, HF doesn't have many/any serious reviews IMHO.Obviousl yyour opinion is quite jaded and very biased, for whatever reason against HF. Shame you can't man up and just say why.

Loneoak
07-22-2011, 19:33
dla, sorry you got off on the wrong foot or so it appears from your post, but I on the other hand have had lots of help at HF. I have made quite a few post, asking questions and I didn't run out the door to buy something as soon as someone made a suggestion. That is what they are: suggestions. I kept up with my post and looked at them each day to help me make a decision. I still have not gotten a TQ or an UQ, but I think any of the cottage makers would work just fine.
Just don't have the money at this time to do so.

R00K
07-22-2011, 19:55
It's threads like these that leave me spending most of my forum time at HammockForums.

SouthMark
07-22-2011, 20:07
dla, I think you are right. I would give up on HF. It is pretty much just a waste of your time. There is absolutely no info on HF that can direct you to the perfect hammock, the perfect insulation, the perfect suspension, etc. Some of those fools over there even think that it is a personal matter. They actually think that everyone is different and what works for one may not work for another. You are much better off here at WB where there is only one consensus as to which pack or which tent to use. Over here there are no opinions, only scientific reviews by unopinionated reviewers. As I said stay away from HF. It is such a rip-off.

Hooch
07-22-2011, 20:09
dla, I think you are right. I would give up on HF. It is pretty much just a waste of your time. There is absolutely no info on HF that can direct you to the perfect hammock, the perfect insulation, the perfect suspension, etc. Some of those fools over there even think that it is a personal matter. They actually think that everyone is different and what works for one may not work for another. You are much better off here at WB where there is only one consensus as to which pack or which tent to use. Over here there are no opinions, only scientific reviews by unopinionated reviewers. As I said stay away from HF. It is such a rip-off.So glad I'm fluent in sarcasm. :D

Tom Murphy
07-22-2011, 20:30
dia,

It seemed to me that you want a single cut and dried solution and are frustrated by the array of options. HF has many advocates for each options that you see this as not being critical enough.

Example:
Someone posts: "I can only afford a hammock and want to use sleeping bag and pad in it? "

Most of us at HF would say sure you can make that work. Don't let that stop you.

You seem to want to see posts saying, NO you have to use Joe's UQ and TQ set-up" Sorry HF is just that kind of place.

Go to some of the UL sites and they will be happy to tell you that the exact equipment you should buy.

Sorry HF is just that kind of place.

Plus HF is spoiled with many great vendors but I have no doubt that a poor vendor would be called out very quickly.

Alligator
07-22-2011, 21:19
Sounds like you had some issue with the moderation on HF, http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=489109#post489109 (which is still open BTW).

There are over 12000 members at HF. They can't all be noobs. I suspect that if you strictly worded your question as to the cons of an item, someone would answer. You could ask the question here of course if you are not satisfied with the responses there. However, the knowledge base there though is considerably wider IMO, just keep asking questions before you shell out the cash.

The rules for the off topic area at HF are as follows:

UPDATED!!! New rules - 9/10/08

If you are reading this message it means that you are a donating member of Hammock Forums now have access the the Member's Lounge off topic forum. First and foremost, THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTION TO HAMMOCK FORUMS.

This forum was created as a little treat for those who made a donation. This is basically an anything-goes discussion forum: news and events, hobbies not related to hammock camping, movies, music, books, art, humor, or just general discussion. There will be a few basic rules that everyone posting in this forum will need to adhere to:

1. No foul or abusive language.

2. No posting of or linking to nudity, pornography or any other subject that may be NSFW (Not Safe For Work).

3. All discussions will be kept civil. Please respect other people's views.

4. No political discussion.

5. No religious discussion.

Note - Please don't be offended if a moderator removes one of your posts from this section. The moderation of the subject matter in the off-topic discussion area will be entirely at the discretion of the moderators.

Also, be sure to keep the discussions about hammocks and hammock gear in the forum where everyone will be able to read and comment on the subject. The Lounge is for non-hammock related discussion.

Have fun !
It's pretty clear from that last statement that the intent is to keep the hammock questions in the open forums. This is not a WB issue so I have closed the thread.