PDA

View Full Version : Gear report: Campmor 20F Down bag

TDale
02-08-2005, 12:07
Well, there I was. Soloing with a pup tent, a 1/2" blue foam pad, and my new sleeping bag. Twilight was upon me and the temps were dropping quickly through the 40's into the thirty's. I had changed out of my walking baselayer into my sleeping layer with pants and fleece over the pj's to combat the cool breeze. Dinner was et, I was tired, so I retired to the tent. A little listen to the radio to get the weather and I tucked me into my new bag. I had a new non-woven nylon liner in there. I had on wool/syntheic blend socks, duofold varitherm long bottoms, duofold LS poly T-shirt, and a homeade fleece tube hat. I zipped myself in, without using the hood and nodded off.

Several hours later I woke up. Sweating. I checked my thermometer, it was 38 degrees in the tent. I vented the foot and the top. Went back to sleep, woke again several hours later, it was 35 in the tent and I was still toasty warm.

Next night, same temps but I used the bag unzipped as a quilt sans liner. Much better.

I may never get to test this down to it's rating, but I am very happy with the bag.

Lone Wolf
02-08-2005, 12:12
Mine should arrive at the PO today.

Bolo
02-08-2005, 12:19
Would you recommend the Campmor down over the Slumberjack Thermolite Extreme? I'm looking at the Slumberjack...it costs a bit less, weighs a few ounces more, than the Campmor and I think it's a newly listed item in the Campmor catalog?

Thanks.

Footslogger
02-08-2005, 12:41
Question for you TDale, since I'm in the market for a bag in that rating area. Are you a warm sleeper or do you tend to be on the cold side in a bag ?? I was looking at the REI Sub Kilo (already own one and am very satisfied) but I'm guessing that teh Campmor bag is less expensive. The Sub Kilo is 700 fill and weighs 2lb/2oz. I have to go to the site and check out the specs/price.

Thanks for the review.

'Slogger

TDale
02-08-2005, 13:11
L. Wolf: You're gonna like it, I think.

Bolo: I looked at the Thermolite bags and all the reviews I read said they were rated optimistically. YMMV

'slogger: I'm a warm sleeper. I was well fed and hydrated. So well hydrated that I fought a bladder call for a few hours rather than crawl out of that warm bag.

rumbler
02-08-2005, 13:23
I had the campmor 20f on my hike two years ago. A couple of thoughts:

1. Overall, I was very disappointed in the temperature rating, especially up north. Some of that is that I had lost a lot of weight by then, but I would NOT want to be in that bag in 20F temps again.

2. The bag did not hold its loft. There are some really barren spots in the bag now, where you can almost see through the thing. Granted, a thru-hike is tough on bags, but this bag did not finish the trip in great shape.

3. Some of that could be attributable to the fact that it did not weather washings well. And that could be operator error, as I was learning to care for the bag on the fly. Having said that, I did not do any egregiously incorrect procedures when cleaning or drying the bag.

The bag was a good blend of weight, rating and especially price. However, a new bag is high on my purchase list for any new trips, primarily because I would not want to be in my campmor below 35F in the shape it is now in.

I have come to the conclusion that sleeping bags are worth spending the dimes for a top-notch one.

Footslogger
02-08-2005, 13:32
Thanks TDale ...that bag looks pretty good for the price. Might have to check one out.

'Slogger

TDale
02-13-2005, 22:02
L. Wolf, got your bag?

Sly
11-09-2005, 08:39
I've got about 6000 long distance trail miles and a bunch of overnighters on my Campmor 20* down bag and although I'd like to upgrade to a Marmot or Western Mountaneering, I can't justify buying a new one.

Even used as a quilt it keeps me warm below freezing.

Lone Wolf
11-09-2005, 08:42
Yes TDale I have my bag. Great price, great bag.

CynJ
11-09-2005, 09:33
I've got this bag down on my "to buy" gear list. It really sounds like a great bag. I'm a really warm sleeper I think this will be perfect.

Lanthar Mandragoran
11-09-2005, 12:13
did you guys buy the mummy or the flat?

TDale
11-09-2005, 14:01
ooooh, the mummy!

Sly
11-09-2005, 14:03
did you guys buy the mummy or the flat?

I got the mummy although I seldom use the hood. The regtangular would work better as a quilt and probably work well, if you could cinch the top some, and wore a balaclava when it got real cold

weary
11-09-2005, 16:16
I had the campmor 20f on my hike two years ago. A couple of thoughts:
3. Some of that could be attributable to the fact that it did not weather washings well. And that could be operator error, as I was learning to care for the bag on the fly. Having said that, I did not do any egregiously incorrect procedures when cleaning or drying the bag. .
Did you wash it in a rotary machine, or a standard top load washer?

Sly
11-09-2005, 16:27
ooooh, the mummy!

I have the DVD, great movie!

Lilred
11-09-2005, 21:02
I've used this bag in below freezing temps in shelters and it kept me very warm. One very cold night in Tray Mountain shelter with the wind whipping straight in the shelter and another very cold night in Muskrat Creek shelter where I awoke to my washrag frozen solid as a rock. Both nights I cinched that mummy hood around my head and stayed quite warm. Found myself taking off clothing throughout the night.