PDA

View Full Version : Spot Locator

nu2hike
07-22-2011, 12:18
For those of you who may be considering buying a Spot Locator I want to share my recent experience with this product! The first one I purchased worked fine the first time I turned it on, but wouldn't come on at all the second time I tried it! Contacted customer service, they offered to replace it, but no way they would get it to me in time for my hikein two days!
I contacted the store where I purchased the product which is 1 1/2 hr away. They didn't have any more in stock, but one of their employees offered to drive to another one of their stores and hour away and have one for me as I passed through town on my way to the AT in Georgia! Now that's customer service!
I contacted Spot customer service to inform them that I would be getting my new device on Saturday and that I would need them to activate the new device for me! Guess what? They informed me they were closed on the weekend and wouldn't be able to help me until Monday! Well on Monday I would be two days on the AT in Georgia!! A little hard to me to manage! I arranged for a friend to contact Spot first thing Monday morning to transfer my activation service for me which she did. That part went well and I was able to send an Ok message from the top of Blood Mountain in Georgia. Unfortunately that was the only time I was able to send a message. I couldn't get a satellite signal from that point on.
So in other words, this product works well as long as your not in the woods! Just plan your emergencies accordingly! Make sure if you have an accident that you are somewhere with a clear view of the sky otherwise you're SOL!!!
I know some of you have had positive experiences using Spot, but I've lost all confidence with this product! As for as I'm concerned it's just an expensive paper weight!

House of Payne
07-22-2011, 18:21
Hey Nu, sorry to to hear of the tough news from the get go. We recently had a SPOT 2 discussion here and it went back and forth for a bit. I think there were more positives than negatives from most of the WB users however after reading your story I remember reading some reviews with simular situations. I know you have some ways to go so maybe you will have better luck during your trip.

10-K
07-22-2011, 20:32
Mine has worked flawlessly so far. In the woods, under trees, whatever.

I add my cell number to the numbers that are texted when a message is sent so that I know they're really going out. So far, SPOT on.

buckowens
07-31-2011, 14:19
Mine has always been perfect as well. I have had both the SPOT 1 and 2. The SPOT 2 is much better especially at communicating what it is doing. Even worked in Afghanistan and Kuwait...

Mags
07-31-2011, 14:41
Is this a SPOT gen1 or gen2?

The original spot had some issues. By all accounts, the SPOT2 is a reliable product.

Just curious.