PDA

View Full Version : WM MegaLite or WM Caribou MF

SMASH
02-08-2005, 12:40
Having trouble deciding which bag to purchase for my trip. Anyone have experience with either of these two bags? As a general rule I sleep warm and am planning to supplement warm clothing that I will already be carrying to keep me warm on the really cold nights.

geckobunny
02-08-2005, 12:59
I've used WM bags on a number of trips. Mostly it would depend on where you're trip will take you and what kind of weather you're likely to encounter. My personal preference would be the caribou. You can get away with something lighter but I slept much better when I didn't HAVE to wear all my clothes in my sleeping bag.

SMASH
02-08-2005, 13:01
I guess I should have been more specific about my trip...leaving Springer March 23 and heading north!

chris
02-08-2005, 13:03
If you've narrowed it down to one of two WM bags, rest assured that you won't make a bad choice either way. Both are wide cut bags, and I am more of a fan of narrow cut ones. A 30 degree WM bag really is 30 degrees. So, you can sleep in it with minimal clothes, at freezing temps, and be comfy. With a set of thermals and a hat, you should be good to more like 20 degrees. In general, I am now leaning towards less warm bags, and instead relying upon clothing for colder nights (since I'm carrying the clothing anyways).

rumbler
02-08-2005, 13:27
Clothing is often wet. Four days of cold rain and you may not have anything to wear inside that bag.

chris
02-08-2005, 16:02
Clothing won't get wet if you separate your hiking clothes from your emergency warmth clothes (i.e, what you wear to bed). Staying warm while hiking usually isn't much of a problem.

bulldog49
02-08-2005, 16:16
Yah, never wear the clothes you sleep in on the trail. There is no better bag made than a Western Mountaineering, and as the guy above said, the temp ratings are accurate.

rumbler
02-08-2005, 17:26
Yes, keep your sleeping clothes separate. But I would not rely on the assumption of having dry clothes keeping you warm in cold weather. If you go the route where you MUST have dry clothes to protect your safety, then you are carrying weight that could be used on the bag.

Different strokes I guess. But I will not go into cold weather with a light sleeping bag expecting warm dry sleeping clothes to keep me comfortable. Too many times I have seen everything in my bag so wet in air so saturated with days of rain that it was impossible to keep anything from getting damp. But if it works for you, then you are set.

As for me, I can honetly say that it is not very enjoyable at all to hike after spending a night shivering in a bag that was not warm enough. Been there, done that, won't happen again. Not willingly. So for me, I don't skimp on temperature ratings, expecially with quality bags like WM. Get the 20F, or even a 15F if you are a cold sleeper. Get a silk liner. And if your camp clothes are too warm at night sleep naked. But anytime that the temps are in the range of testing a bags designed rating, you will not regret carrying a couple of extra ounces of down. Well, I won't anymore.

fantasmagris
02-08-2005, 17:42
Caribou cause it's got a tougher shell.:D

Singletrack
02-09-2005, 21:09
I own both. Megalite would be my choice. A bit warmer IMO.

Scorpion
02-09-2005, 22:42
Smash
I used the megalite for my 04 thru hike. Left March 10th. When it was cold I slept in silk long underwear. Was always plenty warm. A couple of times I thought it would be really cold and went to sleep with long pants and fleece shirt on also. Always woke up warm and took them off before morning.

Big fan of the Megalite

Scorpion GA-ME 04

Stuart
02-13-2005, 00:12
Smash,

I looked at the same two last year and went w/ the Caribou for the full length zipper. I sleep hot and stay unzipped most of the time, so the functionality of a quilt.... but when it gets cold you can zip up tight. Plus you have the microfiber fabric. I just don't think I could deal with a 1/2 or 3/4 zipper in hot weather.

springerfever
02-14-2005, 12:19
megalite also has full zip..........BTW, if anyone is interested, I've got a 2001 megalite for sale on E-Bay...I've decided to go for a WM Aspen........

Stuart
02-14-2005, 18:57
megalite also has full zip..........BTW, if anyone is interested, I've got a 2001 megalite for sale on E-Bay...I've decided to go for a WM Aspen........

You are correct, I must have been thinking of several of the other bags I was considering (maybe Marmot).... at any rate full length zipper was a priority to me.

Think I went with the Caribou for the micro fiber and the distribution of the down in the square stiching pattern (forgot the name of it). I think you'd love either bag.

Singletrack
02-14-2005, 19:10
Megalite has a full zipper.