PDA

View Full Version : Equipment Innovations

lemon b
07-22-2011, 17:32
Been thinking about the major innovations in my backpack. Don't remember the exact timing. But here are the biggest changes.

1) The Bic
2)Goretex
3)Water filter
4)Whisperlight stove
5)internal Frame Pack

Am really interested in what the under 30 hikers see as the big changes in what they carry.

skinewmexico
07-22-2011, 18:29
I'm over 50, but mine would be -

1) Frameless pack
2) Single wall silnylon shelter
3) Aquamira / steripen
4) 800+ fill down quilt
5) Dri Ducks
6) Back Country Boiler

Slo-go'en
07-22-2011, 22:20
Backpacking as we knew it now would not be possible without:
1. The zip lock plastic bag

fiddlehead
07-22-2011, 23:02
Been thinking about the major innovations in my backpack. Don't remember the exact timing. But here are the biggest changes.

1) The Bic
2)Goretex
3)Water filter
4)Whisperlight stove
5)internal Frame Pack

Am really interested in what the under 30 hikers see as the big changes in what they carry.

Can't say I agree with much of the above.

I'll agree that lighters are better than matches. But, the Bic has the childproof thing that can be next to impossible to light when you are really cold and the fingers don't work right. I prefer the cheap Asian ones that don't have that safety button on there.

Gore tex just never did it for me. I bought one of those North Face goretex jackets for $300 once. Sent it home after the first decent rainstorm. Frogg Toggs are good though.

Water filter: had one once. Took a lot of time and got sick anyway. Ever since, i just look for the better water sources and carry small amount of chlorine just in case.

Whisperlite stove: sorry (again) the thing is anything but "whisper" and not light either. Got tired of it clogging up EVEN when i filtered fuel through a coffee filter. Switched to Butane/Propane as soon as I found out about GAZ. Before that i built fires which worked most of the time.

More important to me: polypro was a great invention that came out in the late 70's, I first heard of it in '82 I believe. Before that, we had heavy wool or froze. also Polartec Fleece was a big stepping stone into high tech, lightweight gear.

Sil Nylon. I haven't tried to cuban fibre yet but I am sold on sil nylon for being lightweight and reliable. My sil-shelter has done 3 thru's now and going strong. Could never do that with an old nylon tent.

Running shoes instead of heavy leather boots. That's a lot of steps to be wearing something that you don't need and weighs close to double.

Plastic water bottles that don't break. Remember the old aluminum army canteens.

GPS/Google Earth: couldn't do the off-trail bushwhacking/trailblazing that I've so learned to love without them (topo maps aren't available where I live)

Whiteblaze of course! Wouldn't know that there's not much to be afraid of without it. I've heard about someone doing without just about everything on here already. (knife, maps, sleeping pad, shoes, etc.)

Red Hat
07-22-2011, 23:59
Back in the 70s I used an external frame pack, so I agree on the Internal frame, although now I also have a frameless ULA CDT. Then I used a poncho, now I use a packa or driducks. Never filtered water, but am thankful for Aqua Mira when the water is gross. My heavy stove has been replaced with a tiny alcohol stove. My heavy boots are now replaced with trail runners. But the biggest change is going from a heavy sleeping bag to Western Mountaineering.

Oh, and I'm lots more than 30, so my answers probably are not relevant.

1) The Bic
2)Goretex
3)Water filter
4)Whisperlight stove
5)internal Frame Pack

lemon b
07-23-2011, 11:37
Thanks Redhat & fiddlehead only reason I said under 30 is because of finding out about the alcohol stove & some sleep pad options from younger hikers at shelters. Before the whisperlight I built fires difficult in the wet & messy. Was a big move forward for a stubborn person. Not to mention the leave not trace end of that change for many. Today I use a pocket rocket for under 5 day hikes. Also I still carry a small dome (litte south of 4 lbs) because of being soaked in windy rain too many times. Something tells me there is a better effective option. Again thanks you are very relevant.

mudhead
07-23-2011, 18:52
LED flashlight.

LED watch.

Tiny weather radio and earbuds.