PDA

View Full Version : 365

SawnieRobertson
07-22-2011, 21:53
When I first stood on the AT in 1973, there were no rules about hiking from Georgia to Maine or vice versa to my knowledge. There was just opportunity. Later in 1997 when I finally was free to think about it, I found that all sorts of things had developed during my absence. For instance, there were trail names. At first I thought that was nonsensical, but then I came to realize the utility of it and came to embrace the practice. Then there was a much cited rule that to do a successful thruhike, one must walk continuously (whatever that means) past all the white blazes in one calendar year. I thought that was okay until I learned the meaning of "one calendar year." Instead of within 365 days of one's beginning date, one had to begin sometime in January and be through before December 31.
Frankly, I have never cottoned to that "rule" and would like to know the history of its making and where it is written today. Or is it written anywhere today? Perhaps one of our governing bodies removed it. Can someone help with this information?

wcgornto
07-22-2011, 22:10
I don't know the origin of such rule or the extent to which it is "official" by anyone who recognizes such things.

I put it in the same category as the grand slam of golf and Tiger Woods. He won all four majors consecutively, though not in the same calendar year. In my book, he completed the grand slam, regardless of what anyone else has to say about it. In the same vein, if one begins an AT hike and finishes it continuously (e.g., doesn't leave the trail for weeks at a time), they have completed a thru hike, whether or not the calendar has turned from December to January in the meantime.

SawnieRobertson
07-22-2011, 22:57
I wonder why it must be "continuously," thus scratching those who have to leave the trail for a while due to injury, family wedding, family funeral, other engagement, or just because they want to. Why not just within 365 days, period? To do the whole thing in one year is a box, reasonable mostly because it differentiates the thru from the section hiker.

AaronMB
07-23-2011, 01:49
So, if one does the AT within a year's time, even in sections (ie breaks, for whatever reason), it's considered a Thru Hike?

I always thought this is what differentiated 'Section' and 'Thru' hiker (a Thru hiker doing the trail in one continuous trip, not leaving and returning, save to resupply, do laundry, shower).

Pedaling Fool
07-23-2011, 08:27
There is no certificate given for a "thru-hike" only a 2,000 miler certificate. As far as the ATC is concerned they could care less of how you do your "thru-hike" or section hike, other than the rules they list on their website. All the other "rules" you hear are just personal opinions and of no consequence. The ATC does use the term "thru-hiker", but they don't certify thru-hikes.

From the ATC's website:

Section-hikers and thru-hikers who complete the A.T. can report their journey to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy by filling out the Appalachian Trail 2,000-Miler Application. Hikers who report their hike of the entire Trail will be added to our roster of 2,000-milers, and will receive a certificate of recognition and a 2,000-miler rocker and an A.T. patch.

Recognition Policy

We give equal recognition to thru-hikers and section-hikers
We recognize blue-blazed trails or officially required road-walks as viable substitutes for the official, white-blazed route in the event of an emergency, such as a flood, a forest fire, or an impending storm on an exposed, high-elevation stretch
We operate on the honor system
We recognize hikers regardless of sequence, direction, speed, or whether they carry a pack

Pedaling Fool
07-23-2011, 08:32
BTW, here's the ATC's definition of a thru-hike: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/thru-section-hiking

Thru Hiking
A thru-hiker is a hiker or backpacker who has completed or is attempting to walk the entire Appalachian Trail in one uninterrupted journey. Completing the entire estimated 2,180 miles of the Appalachian Trail in one trip is a mammoth undertaking. Each year, thousands of hikers attempt a thru-hike; only about one in four make it all the way.

If you notice it's not very detailed and there's much room for interpretation. That's what you're hearing out there, personal interpretation.

Carl in FL
07-23-2011, 14:17
I thought the rule was, if you slow down to less than 4 mph, they shoot you.

Wait. That's another walk.

russb
07-23-2011, 14:47
I thought the rule was, if you slow down to less than 4 mph, they shoot you.

Wait. That's another walk.

I always thought that short story would make for a great movie. Simple plot... a lot of character development. I apologize for adding to the drift.

lemon b
07-29-2011, 09:02
Hike your own hike. Who cares what others think or do?

Bearpaw
07-29-2011, 16:53
A lot of the "rules" were begun my Wingfoot. He is the only written source I've seen that espoused some of the more slavish rules put in place.

He did a lot of good for the trail, with his handbook making the logistics of a thru-hike much more manageable, but some of his "rules" became a scripture of sorts that has really detracted from the overall goal of walking the trail.

topshelf
07-29-2011, 17:41
It should just be I've hiked the AT. Hiked doesn't need to prefaced with thru- or section-.

In today's world everything has to be black and white, things with grey areas are hardly accepted anymore. I think the reason some hikers are so willing and eager to define what a "thru-hike" or "thru-hiker" means is due to the fact it's a special kind of club, one that holds a lot of honor to it's members. Hikers who had completed the AT believe they are part of some special kind of group and while everyone is welcome into the group with open arms, you've got to earn it. It takes a different kind of person to hike and endure the struggles of day after day of miles and life on the trail. It takes a lot to find the mental and physical strength to complete a thru-hike, especially in a world like ours today. Survival of the fittest in today's world doesn't mean what it used to. I think hikers are so quick to make rules to what a thru-hike is to keep people who haven't earned the title out.

I can't wait for the day I can say I thru-hiked the AT, if I make it. I've got my own definition of what my thru-hike will be and it's more than good enough for me.

hikerboy57
07-29-2011, 17:48
its just walking.we love to categorize, label, and like you say keep out the un-elite rom the "club".If I complete my own goal next year from springer to DWG, I will take personal pride in hiking some 1200+ miles. I dont really care what category it puts me in. and I might even blue blaze.I wont know which avatar to use.but i dont care.for me its never the destination, its the journey.