PDA

View Full Version : In Maine this weekend..where's a good place to go hang?

SurferNerd
07-23-2011, 00:17
So work has brought me to the beautiful state of Maine. I'm in Bangor til Tuesday morning. I'm totally lost as to what to do up here? I've been told Acadia several times, is it good?

I'm a nature addict. I love being outside hiking. What are two great day hikes for Saturday and Sunday? And something for Monday. I want to go hang in my ENO hammock somewhere near a stream, listen to the water, read a book, relax. I'd love some help here, thanks.

woodsy
07-23-2011, 07:56
Welcome, Acadia is swamped with tourists right now so probably not what you are looking for unless you consider hoards of people nature. It is a beautiful area but busy right now.
Monson and the AT might be more your style, head north for hilly terrain with ponds or south for riverside canyon hiking and camping.

Driver8
07-23-2011, 07:56
Not sure what last-second arrangements you can make to hike and camp at Baxter State, which is near Bangor. Give it a try - good luck. Absent that, I've heard Acadia is great hiking. Always nice to visit the Maine coast in the summer.

mudhead
07-23-2011, 09:36
Not sure what last-second arrangements you can make to hike and camp at Baxter State, which is near Bangor. Give it a try - good luck. Absent that, I've heard Acadia is great hiking. Always nice to visit the Maine coast in the summer.

No decent hiking here. Suks baaad.

OP- Car? You are from TN, so maybe you need to see some ocean? Or do you want to eat lobster with the other people that eat bugs?

weary
07-23-2011, 10:40
So work has brought me to the beautiful state of Maine. I'm in Bangor til Tuesday morning. I'm totally lost as to what to do up here? I've been told Acadia several times, is it good?

I'm a nature addict. I love being outside hiking. What are two great day hikes for Saturday and Sunday? And something for Monday. I want to go hang in my ENO hammock somewhere near a stream, listen to the water, read a book, relax. I'd love some help here, thanks.
The campsites in Baxter near Katahdin will almost certainly be full. But elsewhere in the 200,000 acre park you can find vacancy. Try Nesourdahunk. I spent five days there around last weekend and the campsite was never more than half full.

Trout Brook Farm at the northern end of the park is also a great place to "hang out."

mudhead
07-23-2011, 11:44
Off topic- What did you think of the changes at Nesow campground?

On topic- Do you remember the name of the city park on the Kenduskeag, just upstream from Lover's Leap? Always thought that was a cool place. Baring scurves and stuff...

k2basecamp
07-23-2011, 11:46
Take the mailboat out of stonington to isle au huot - lots of great hiking

Driver8
07-23-2011, 12:06

You're entitled to your opinion. I reckon I'd enjoy it. HYOH, YMMV, and all that jazz. ...

TheRaven
07-23-2011, 16:58

OP- Car? You are from TN, so maybe you need to see some ocean? Or do you want to eat lobster with the other people that eat bugs?

Yup, too hot, too buggy, and WAY too many flatlanders up here driving up prices, tempers and speeds.

Stay away from the coast, go inland as others suggested.

johnnybgood
07-24-2011, 17:12
Visited Acadia in late May for a few days , just before the tourist season began. The hiking was splendid .

As others have stated , Acadia NP( Bar Harbor) is crowded this time of year . Best wait until after Labor Day Weekend to go .

mudhead
07-24-2011, 17:32
He was here yesterday and agrees with me- no good hiking. suks baaad.

Doesn't really calm down until after Columbus Day now. Once was the day after Labor Day newspaper would blow down the street, and it wasn't odd to see a dog poking around on Maine St.

I think tomorrow he is going to Belfast for lobster, then swimming at Lake St. George.:)

BradMT
07-24-2011, 20:57
Instead of going to the Bar Harbor side of Acadia NP, go to the lesser known and visited side of Schoodic Point just outside Winter Harbor. I can guarantee you'll like it.

weary
07-24-2011, 21:24
Off topic- What did you think of the changes at Nesow campground?

Well, like everyone, I preferred the leantos near the river. But I can appreciate the universal, but wrong, belief that such campistes are a serious problem. However, this problem like a lot of problems I've decided not to try to solve. Time is too short for me. I just work on critical matters these days. Like keeping MATLT, alive and active.

And for that matter, Phippsburg Land Trust. Today, I told my wife. "I don't know what our land trust is going to do. I need to find a placement as stewardship chair. But no active member seems to be interested in maintaining 25-30 miles of trails. I need to be replaced. But no one else seems to have the interest that is needed.

mudhead
07-25-2011, 09:27
[QUOTE=weary;1183520]Well, like everyone, I preferred the leantos near the river. B

Tent site at the end was cherry.

The new leantos in the field have outstanding views, in my mind. Not the group area, the little ones that look SW. Fine place to veg.