PDA

View Full Version : PA sections 3 & 4

Stovemonkey
07-23-2011, 12:41
Hello, my friend and I plan on hiking sections 3 & 4 this August. I was wondering if anyone can giving advice on what to expect, as well as, anything you feel will be beneficial for our trip. Thanks!

camojack
07-23-2011, 19:50
Hello, my friend and I plan on hiking sections 3 & 4 this August. I was wondering if anyone can giving advice on what to expect, as well as, anything you feel will be beneficial for our trip. Thanks!
By "sections 3 & 4", I presume you mean from Port Clinton to the Lehigh River.
(You could just say so)

Anyway, expect rocks; lots and lots of 'em. Hard to say at this point what the water situation will be in August, although I have it on good authority that a spring called "Stephanie" is pretty reliable.

Blissful
07-23-2011, 19:51
Good rocky section there but not to awful, imo. Some good views. Hope you get good weather for them.

emerald
07-23-2011, 19:56
If you are refering to sections 3 & 4, that suggests you have already purchased Guide to the Appalachian Trail in Pennsylvania. Congratulations on a wise decision, you are already off to a good start.

Visit Lehigh Gap Nature Center (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?63845-Doors-open-on-a-long-shot-vision-at-Lehigh-Gap&highlight=Lehigh) and thank them for all they have done to date and wish them well with all their future endeavors. This venture adds considerable value to the A.T. and can be expected to pay out dividends for many years to come.

While in Berks County, stop at Hawk Mountain Sanctuary. It doesn't cost anything but your time to view their displays and will you will learn why Kittatinny Ridge is an Important Bird Area.

Buy a meal for yourself at Deitsch Eck in Lenhartsville or view the Pennsylvania German Collection at Reading Public Museum as an introduction to Pennsylvania German culture.

You could have attended Kutztown Folk Festival had you timed your visit to coincide with it earlier this month. Consider putting it on your schedule for next year.

Stovemonkey
07-25-2011, 14:42
Are there any places to swim in these sections besides schuylkill and leigh rivers? if so, where?

emerald
07-25-2011, 14:52
The A.T. follows Kittatinny Ridge except where it drops into gaps. Other than public swimming pools in nearby communities, there are no opportunities for swimming.

Hamburg's reservoir is posted against swimming, it's patrolled and they prosecute those who don't respect their wishes.

Public swimming pools are available at Palmerton (http://www.palmertonpool.com/index.php), Hamburg and likely other locations. For more information including fees, click on the link(s).

Others who have more time to throw after it than I do might see what you can find. This is information that could be added to the handbooks, but it's the kind of information that's readily available upon request when in town.

Stovemonkey
07-25-2011, 16:12
thanks for the info

emerald
07-25-2011, 16:16
Have we answered all of your questions? If you have other questions or concerns, post 'em. We'll do whatever we can to help make your visit as enjoyable as possible.

Stovemonkey
07-25-2011, 16:26
I appreciate the help.

Stovemonkey
08-01-2011, 23:32
How is parking in Port Clinton and Leigh Gap?Do you have any suggesions? Has there been any problems recently? All the info I turn up on these areas on it is from 2010.

emerald
08-02-2011, 03:48
Good thinking on your part to do some research on trailhead parking. As you know, it's impossible to eliminate all risk with respect to vandalism, but anything you can do to reduce risk may save you time and trouble down the road.

Appalachian Trail trailheads are not immune to vandalism. It tends to be somewhat random and locations where incidents occur are likely to vary from one year to another.

I suggest you visit ATC's website for both general advice and a linked A.T. trailhead parking database maintained by a private individual.

There are two parking lots at Port Clinton, a public lot on NPS-owned land along SR 61 and a private lot owned by Reading and Northern Railroad. Some prefer to park in town with permission. You might also consider inquiring about parking at one of the many Tilden Ridge businesses.

Probably the most up-to-date and reliable information related to parking security at Port Clinton would be provided by Pennsylvania State Police at Hamburg.

I'd contact Palmerton's borough office for your other request. Someone else who is more knowledgeable than me may have some specific suggestions they'd be able to post.

harryfred
08-02-2011, 18:57
Just hiked this section 7/23-7/26 Parking good safe as any on AT and better than alot.
Water apx 3miles up from Port Clinton Is a spring On the trail it always runs good shallow need to fiter or dip patiently. Windsor Furnace always good water running stream if it rains need to filter or strain. Apx 7m up is Panther spring on trail seems to always run but may be shallow. Eckville shelter spigot on side of care takers house. New Tripoli campsite rumored to be very reliable never went down. Dans spring never seen. Allentown shelter was told follow YELLOW blazed trail to spring and it is good. Bake Oven Knob shelter told water was available at the bottom would not trust it.George Outerbridge one of the best springs in PA and it is on the trail.
Views Pulpit rock The Pinnicle, Dans Pulpit, Knife Edge Bears rocks drop your pack and climb on up TRUST ME and Bake Oven Knob

emerald
08-02-2011, 22:26
This is one of many springs not worth the trouble in summer. Carry water sufficient for the entire distance between Eckville and Allentown Shelter.

Saentis18
11-02-2011, 00:47
How come no one ever mentions or talks about the spring just down Ashfield Road from the trail on section 3? I always get my water here, I have never ever seen it run dry.

Blissful
11-02-2011, 09:40
We were waiting for you to mention it... ! Thanks

Panzer1
11-02-2011, 18:43
you should expect a lot of rocks...

Panzer