PDA

View Full Version : On the Fence, Need Some Pre-trail Magic

Magua
07-24-2011, 04:37
Hey Everybody,

I just finished college but I cannot find a real job so I am thinking about hitting the trail and doing something meaningful before I have to work for the rest of my life. But I have a couple quick questions, maybe you can help me out...

Washing clothes: Do you A) laundromat it up in town B) all natural castile soap in the river (Im guessing this is frowned upon regardless of the the all natural soap) or C) just go hippie

Boxers: I need to just bite the bullet and buy a couple pairs of $25 patagonia or ExOfficios dont I? Anyone have a preference?

Shoes: I am thinking about just wearing some gortex north face low tops instead of traditional heavier hiking boots. Any thoughts?

Preparation: Anyone have any suggestions for a 2-3 week warm hike before doing the real deal? Ive hiked all my life but have never done more than a 5 day trek. I figure if you can go 3ish weeks and still feel good then you are probably capable of going the distance, unless something screwy happens. Is that sound thinking or not really?

Trail Companions: Do a lot of people start alone? I was just going to fly solo the first couple weeks and do some soul searching then maybe tag along with other people later.

The "Spiritual" Journey: Is everyone high 24/7 or what? I dont mind the occasional veg but I like to keep a clear head most of the time. Am I going to be an outcast if im not partaking constantly? Im not a narc, I swear.

Trail names: Do you come up with one yourself or is more of a 'you have to earn it' thing?

ALSO, and most importantly, what are my chances of running into a young gorgeous single woman on the trail?

Thanks Forum Angels,
~Magua

Ironbelly
07-24-2011, 06:55
Lets start with washing clothes. First off, when possible i do a load in town, its just easier. However, I do wash boxers, socks, and sometimes my shirt on the trail. To wash on the trail I take a 1L nalgene bottle and stuff said garment into it(you want to try and have at least a 1/4 of the bottle left) Then fill with water and add a few drops of castile soap . I prefer Dr. Bronners pepermint. Then shake the bottle to mix well then clip to the outside of your pack and hike(or shake the bottle by hand for awhile) This gives it the agitation like a washing machine and actually does a really good job. The key here is to have enough room in the bottle for the water to slosh around at least a little bit. I typically can do 2 boxers, and a pair of socks at once, or 2 pair socks 1 boxer. Or I can do 1 shirt.

When done hiking, dump out soapy water at least 150ft from a water source, add fresh water(doesnt have to be filtered/treated) and rinse and repeat until done. Then wring out and hang dry. Yes, it is a little bit of work, but it very effective, and is just as good as any washing machine.

I really like exoffio boxer briefs, that is my brand of choice. But i assume any synthetic boxer brief will do. Be it pantagonia, tnf, ems, rei etc. They are so worth it IMO. It's kinda like buying good wool socks.

If your gonna go lowtop you may as well go all the way and go trail runner, non goretex. For one they will be cheaper. but your feet and shoes are going to get we anyway regardless, so having a non goretex model will enable your shoes to dry much much quicker. Trail runners already dry lightyears faster than boots.

I am sure we could give you a good warm up hike, where are you located?

Typically everyone starts alone, but very quickly find others that hike the same pace etc, you see the same people at shelters and what have you. So if your wanting solitude your best bet is to avoid shelters for the first little while as that will be where the majority of people are. You have to use shelters in the smokies.

Trail names go both ways. Most earn them on the trail, and other just start with one. Your preference really. Tradition has you earn one.

And the ever important pink blazing. You never know when you might find someone. So do your laundry often! haha. Seriously though if your wanting to pink blaze then dont be a scrub, and keep yourself somewhat kept on the trail. Which isn't hard to do, just takes an extra few minutes a day.

Lone Wolf
07-24-2011, 07:13
Hey Everybody,

I just finished college but I cannot find a real job so I am thinking about hitting the trail and doing something meaningful before I have to work for the rest of my life. But I have a couple quick questions, maybe you can help me out...

Washing clothes: Do you A) laundromat it up in town B) all natural castile soap in the river (Im guessing this is frowned upon regardless of the the all natural soap) or C) just go hippie

Boxers: I need to just bite the bullet and buy a couple pairs of $25 patagonia or ExOfficios dont I? Anyone have a preference?

Shoes: I am thinking about just wearing some gortex north face low tops instead of traditional heavier hiking boots. Any thoughts?

Preparation: Anyone have any suggestions for a 2-3 week warm hike before doing the real deal? Ive hiked all my life but have never done more than a 5 day trek. I figure if you can go 3ish weeks and still feel good then you are probably capable of going the distance, unless something screwy happens. Is that sound thinking or not really?

Trail Companions: Do a lot of people start alone? I was just going to fly solo the first couple weeks and do some soul searching then maybe tag along with other people later.

The "Spiritual" Journey: Is everyone high 24/7 or what? I dont mind the occasional veg but I like to keep a clear head most of the time. Am I going to be an outcast if im not partaking constantly? Im not a narc, I swear.

Trail names: Do you come up with one yourself or is more of a 'you have to earn it' thing?

ALSO, and most importantly, what are my chances of running into a young gorgeous single woman on the trail?

Thanks Forum Angels,
~Maguawash clothes at laundromat never in a stream

boxers not needed. especially patagonia, etc. i never wear underwear

low top shoes are good. gore-tex is overkill. save your money

start alone. the trail is crowded. you'll meet people

lotsa dope smokers out there.

i named myself. you can too

yes there are pretty ladies out there.

Nutbrown
07-24-2011, 09:04
Just a word of advice for the pink blazing.... When you find yourself alone in a shelter, don't tell the girl walking to the privy 'I'm sure lonely here all be my lonesome, it's kinda scary, why don't you come and keep me company.' You will earn the trail name Chester the Molester pretty quickly.

Trailbender
07-24-2011, 09:09
Hey Everybody,

Laundromat in town, washed clothes by a river sometimes(not in it, got my water and washed away from it), took a bath in my tent sometimes too.

The lightest boxer briefs I have seen are 2.5oz, I personally prefer women's underwear, they generally weigh around 0.5 oz, are very comfortable(and I'm well above average), dry fast as hell. I tried going commando, would rather not have underwear, but I got some chafing on sensitive areas, so the underwear is a necessity.

I got a pair of Merrells, worked well. I wouldn't bother with boots, too heavy and they dry too slow.

Warm up hikes are always a good idea.

I started alone, met people along the way, but always preferred being by myself in the daytime during my hikes.

I smoked once in awhile, wasn't a big deal either way. People do smoke on the trail, so it isn't a huge deal. Just don't smoke in hostels or whatever.

People usually give you one.
I have seen a few sectioners that were attractive. I never saw an attractive female thru hiker, honestly. I would say the chances are pretty slim.

Thanks Forum Angels,
~Magua

Replies in bold, did my thru last year.

WalkinTall
07-24-2011, 10:00
Trailbender, I have to ask. Female underwear? I can't imagine being comfortable in any style of female underwear. Different cuts, not so good for nuts so to speak.

Silverstone
07-24-2011, 11:55
I personally prefer women's underwear, they generally weigh around 0.5 oz, are very comfortable

The rose goes in the front, big guy...

AaronMB
07-24-2011, 12:35
As folks like to hear both new ideas and support for already-said ideas:

+1 on the 'Nalgene washer' - it works well. Dump and rinse away from sources and rinse out the Nalgene well, of course!

I like the drying factor of synthetics but they stink quick for me; I wash ExO's often, going commando for a short time while they're drying on a line or the back of my pack.

I have a variety of shoes, Merrell Trail Gloves being my most recent favorites. Those are a big step--no pun intended--for those used to boots. I also have some Lowa Zephyr mid-heights with GTX. They are really comfortable for my finicky feet but they're way too hot in the summer and, as suggested, take a while longer to dry. It's not an unreasonable amount of time if they get wet in the morning and I can hike them dry, but if they're going to get wet and stay wet because of water crossings, I'd definitely skip the Gortex. Really, I'd recommend skipping the Gortex anyway - cheaper, too. I'll be hitting the HST next week and despite lots of snow at elevation, will probably only wear the Trail Gloves.

Another +1 on the shake-down hike(s). Keep safety in mind, of course, but don't be afraid to push yourself a little.

I find that most smokers/drinkers don't care if you don't join in - it just means more for them.

There are certainly good looking women hikers on the trails. They're on the trail for similar reasons as you, or the rest of us, probably, so respect boundaries like you would if you weren't on the trial. But then again, I'm very much taken and wouldn't be open to suggestion even if lightening strikes (I reckon the odds of connecting with someone that way on the trail are slim, but that's assuming on my part.) But, if it's something you wouldn't mind happening and hope does, "pack accordingly." ;)

mudhead
07-24-2011, 12:49
Trailbender, I have to ask. Female underwear? I can't imagine being comfortable in any style of female underwear. Different cuts, not so good for nuts so to speak.

They certainly aren't dancing pants.

4Bears
07-24-2011, 13:23

Sorry but just can't stop laughing at this one!!

CrumbSnatcher
07-24-2011, 13:49
I personally prefer women's underwear, they generally weigh around 0.5 oz, are very comfortable

i held it like an egg, yeah and he scrambled the son of a bitch.

Trailbender
07-24-2011, 15:22

Well, I have been wearing them for about 15 years now, and have no issues. I had to wear the baggy brown cotton briefs we got in basic, and AIT, they were basically brown colored tightywhiteys. Uncomfortable, especially on long road marches in 95 degree heat. I have never cared for boxers at all. As soon as I got to my duty station, I went to the PX and bought a pack of panties, and never wore the other ones again.

The microfiber ones are stretchy enough to fit well. I didn't wear pink ones, and no one ever commented when I was changing in the shower room.

Old Boots
07-24-2011, 16:21
I see your from Chicago. You might try the River to River trail across southern Ill. It runs from the Ohio to the Mississippi, @ 170 miles. You don't need to hike it all to get a good 2-3 week tryout. I'll leave suggestions about underwear, dope and the ladies to the younger crowd.

House of Payne
07-24-2011, 16:27

LOL, that was a good one

swash
07-24-2011, 17:49
I'll comment on low cut North Face gortex shoes. I've been using a pair of North Face Rucky Chucky gortex shoes and really like them, but my next pair will be non-gortex trail runners. I like my gortex shoes for stream crossings, but that's about it. I've never had any problems with the shoe not breathing during normal hiking, just drying out when water gets into them. If the water is more than 3" high it will come into the shoe and then take a long time to dry because they are gortex. Same goes in the rain. Unless you wear gaiters water will get into the shoe and then stay there. I'm only hanging onto mine until they blow out and then getting something like the Brooks Cascadia 5's.

Tipi Walter
07-24-2011, 18:09
Hey Everybody,

Thanks Forum Angels,
~Magua

These two statements stood out the most for me. Work for the rest of your life? Sounds like a prison sentence. You're too young for a prison sentence. I hope you can find work, part-time or not, that you actually LIKE, instead of some long travail.

On your last point, about meeting a gorgeous woman, well, if you do and things go well (marriage--family), you'll be certain to be stuck working for the rest of your life:)

chiefiepoo
07-24-2011, 18:23
Alternate for washing clothes in my kit is a gallon freezer bag. Wash, rinse, and use a smooth stone to ware away stubborn spots. Also, Campmoor is having an Ex Officio sale this week. $25 undies are $18

Magua
07-29-2011, 01:08
Thanks for all the advice Ironbelly and for responding so quickly, much appreciated.

Nalgene clothes wash is genius, I am surprised this is the first Im hearing of it (might be a cue that I still have a lot more research to do).

I am sold on the exofficio boxers and the non goretex trail runners as well.

The gorgeous girls comment was kind of a joke, but hey you never know.

Magua
07-29-2011, 01:12
But, if it's something you wouldn't mind happening and hope does, "pack accordingly." ;)

Haha, good thinking. Although I cant help but wonder what the minimalist hikers would suggest in this area...

Magua
07-29-2011, 01:20
These two statements stood out the most for me. Work for the rest of your life? Sounds like a prison sentence. You're too young for a prison sentence. I hope you can find work, part-time or not, that you actually LIKE, instead of some long travail.

Well said. I have a summer job that is going to finance my thru hike in march if I dont find a real job by then. The more time I invest in researching this hike, the more I am hoping that I dont find a real job so I can actually give it a shot! Dont tell my parents that though...

Hopefully when I get off the trail I will find a real job doing something I actually like, which wont feel like a prison sentence. Thanks for the advice

Magua
07-29-2011, 01:24
I have a variety of shoes, Merrell Trail Gloves being my most recent favorites.

Those merrell trail gloves look sweet. I have a pair of Nike Frees which are kind of the same idea but not as intense. I would be worried how the trail gloves would stand up over an extended backpacking trip. I wouldnt think they have too much support and might lead to a lot of nights spent nursing sore feet.

Rocket Jones
07-29-2011, 05:58
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/miscgreen/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by AaronMB http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/buttonsgreen/viewpost-right.png (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1183377#post1183377)
But, if it's something you wouldn't mind happening and hope does, "pack accordingly." ;)

Haha, good thinking. Although I cant help but wonder what the minimalist hikers would suggest in this area...

They would call it an backup water bladder. Dual use! :D

Sir-Packs-Alot
07-29-2011, 10:45
1) I just finished college but I cannot find a real job so I am thinking about hitting the trail and doing something meaningful before I have to work for the rest of my life...

Good Choice! Most folks (a bit of exception now because of folks getting layed off in this economy) are "23 and just out of school" or they are "retired and their kids have finally flown the coop". Most of the older group is usually wishing they had done a thru-hike when they were in the younger group - before their responsibilities prevented it. (The older folks have a pretty high success rate though!)

2) Washing clothes: Do you A) laundromat it up in town B) all natural castile soap in the river (Im guessing this is frowned upon regardless of the the all natural soap) or C) just go hippie

Concentrate on the quality and not the quantity of your clothing. Smartwool microweight shirts seem to smell a lot better after a few days of sweat than their synthetic cousins. Shop smart. Answer is go hippy unless it's unbearable and you need to rinse stuff in a water source and hang it on your pack like a clothesline. It gets more "bearable" as time goes on and your nose gets used to it though, so ...

Wicking underwear is a good idea unless you want to carry around a tube of diaper rash cream or the like (ouch). To each their own - I wear the less expensive REI wicking briefs.

To each there own again - and you could get a million posts re this. I like Gortex myself. I recommend Keen High tops for beginning thru-hikers who tend to overpack and to roll their ankles more easily at the start of their hike. These boots are just no good for some folks feet though - as they fit a bit wide - but Keen is famous for their orthotic insoles that come with the boot - unlike most other boots that all need an after market insole ("Superfeet", "Sole", etc.). The insoles often needs more getting used to / breaking in than the actual boot itself. Second to that (before you switch to a lighter trail runner type farther up the trail) I like the Vasque Wasatch GTX. Heavy boots - but not crazy to start in!

Like a food you have never tasted - and is nothing like anything you've ever eaten ... we can use all the adjectives available to describe it to you - but unless you have true long distance mountain hiking in your background - you will not know what this "Food" tastes like until you stick it in your mouth and actually taste it. Many years almost 15% of all hikers going northbound quit and get off the trail for good after only 30 miles. (These are folks that have quit jobs and made major adjustments / training / gear purchases to do a 5-6 month thru-hike). Hike the Smokies or the like for a week - AFTER you've got good advice from this site and remember that the "15%" usually quits because their spirit got broken - not their bodies (even with 2 totally blistered feet they could hang out at the hostel at the 30 mile point for $14 per day until they heal!). If you are not surprised by the difficulty of the AT - that will be less likely. Call Mt. Crossings in GA and ask about gear - you will get the right stuff - not just what a shop wants to sell you. Weight issues seem fanatical to the unitiated until you are on the trail - then they are suddenly NOT.

Depending on when you start - you will not be solo much as their is a trail community hiking with you. Check it out.

Everyone's not always high - some partake - it seems mostly around a campfire before they collapse or while taking a "zero day" (day off) from hiking. I wouldn't be concerned.

No solid rule - as is most of the time - BUT - trail tradition dictates that you are "given" a name.

I did - and married her - can only say good luck !

ScottP
07-30-2011, 18:22
When I first bough them, trail gloves felt way better than shoes for the first 15-20 miles/day, even over rocks. I'd really like to keep training in them until I can hike 100% in barefoot shoes. We'll see how it goes.

sbhikes
07-31-2011, 17:38
You don't have to buy brand name anything to do this hike. You can make your own gear, buy gear in thrift-stores, buy used gear from the gear swap forum etc. People have hiked the AT barefoot, with gear all made of tyvek. Some wear Chacos or Tevas and swear by them. Some wear trail runners and some wear big boots. No requirement to be a stoner if that's not your thing. Most important thing is to get out there and be flexible. Read the articles here before you go and learn everything you can so you don't have to make the same beginner mistakes others have made.

As for the whole job thing, just stay the heck out of debt and you will be able to do whatever you want in life. Maybe someday you'll be like me and have a spare $60K lying around and say hey what the heck, I'll quit my job at the start of a big recession and go for a couple of nice long hikes. No problemo. I'm back in the work world again and I've almost got that $60K back. Hmmm.....